J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

They are showing two openers for Newport: Ponderosa (Atlanta/Athens), The Prohibitionists (Cincinnati)

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/28029/tfly

Did he say that they won't have any openers at all?  Since The Prohibitionists are from Cincy, I would expect that they will open at least.

Ruckus

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
They are showing two openers for Newport: Ponderosa (Atlanta/Athens), The Prohibitionists (Cincinnati)

Did he say that they won't have any openers at all?  Since The Prohibitionists are from Cincy, I would expect that they will open at least.

We had two openers last night.  They came on a little after 10:00
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

kydiddle

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 09, 2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the review Cap.  This guy got to hang with Ms. Diddle and had a good ole time at the Appalachian Brewery! :thumbsup: :beer:  The dude/bros continue to multiply

J Roddy knows how to rock. Such fun.

Yeah, there was a gathering of bros in front of the stage. Had a great time with you, Ruckus!!
Cow temperature.

BH

Scott, I should have had you ask J Rod if they were going to make up the St. Louis date that was "postponed."   Something tells me I'm not going to see them..... :(
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 09, 2011, 08:27 AM

He said something along the lines that a couple days ago they didnt have openers lined up, but they were looking for bands to open for them.

Sorry BH...any idea why the show postponed?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Flyguy!  Hope you and the wife enjoy the show tonight!  Here's to Rod karate chopping the piano in half with his head :beer:

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Flyguy!  Hope you and the wife enjoy the show tonight!  Here's to Rod karate chopping the piano in half with his head :beer:

and to spitting all the way across the stage!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 11, 2011, 04:54 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 11, 2011, 04:28 PM

and to spitting all the way across the stage!
You and the spitting!  I've never noticed.  Perhaps he had a minor upper respiratory infection that weekend.  That would have been busted if he actually hit Logan with a saliva salute

jones

The night was chocked full of karate chopping, spitting, and overall ass kicking:

Don't Break The Needle
Full Growing Man
I Don't Wanna Hear It
Lucille
Brave Man's Death
Pigs And Pearls
The Times Are A Staying
*I'm Going Out (same one Scott heard, not sure of the name or details)
Rock And Roll The Second
Use Your Language
Don't Get Old
Uh Oh Rock And Roll
Used To Did
Highway To Hell

You will notice that there were two breaks.  After the first break, Roddy was looking a little *ahem* rough around the edges.  He was chugging water like a mad man and ended up laying on top of his piano for a bit at the end of Used To Did, but he couldn't quite reclaim his composure.  He eventually walked off the stage and the rest of the band followed shortly thereafter.  Honestly, I felt kind of bad for them because it was obvious that Roddy went a little overboard and the rest of the band was just watching as well.  No one really knew what was going on.  He was really trying to pull it together. They all came back out for Highway To Hell.  It was a fitting finish to a great show.  I could only think one thing as we left:

THAT was Rock and Roll.

About two blocks from the Southgate House I realized that I left my tab open and my debit card at the bar.  I hopped out of the cab and ran back to get my card and Roddy was just hanging out by the merch table.  I asked him if I could get a setlist and he said "we don't really use those".  He dug around in a box behind the table and handed me a patch as a token instead. 

What can I say?  It was a great night.

Ruckus

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
The night was chocked full of karate chopping, spitting, and overall ass kicking:

Don't Break The Needle
Full Growing Man
I Don't Wanna Hear It
Lucille
Brave Man's Death
Pigs And Pearls
The Times Are A Staying
*I'm Going Out (same one Scott heard, not sure of the name or details)
Rock And Roll The Second
Use Your Language
Don't Get Old
Uh Oh Rock And Roll
Used To Did
Highway To Hell

You will notice that there were two breaks.  After the first break, Roddy was looking a little *ahem* rough around the edges.  He was chugging water like a mad man and ended up laying on top of his piano for a bit at the end of Used To Did, but he couldn't quite reclaim his composure.  He eventually walked off the stage and the rest of the band followed shortly thereafter.  Honestly, I felt kind of bad for them because it was obvious that Roddy went a little overboard and the rest of the band was just watching as well.  No one really knew what was going on.  He was really trying to pull it together. They all came back out for Highway To Hell.  It was a fitting finish to a great show.  I could only think one thing as we left:

THAT was Rock and Roll.

About two blocks from the Southgate House I realized that I left my tab open and my debit card at the bar.  I hopped out of the cab and ran back to get my card and Roddy was just hanging out by the merch table.  I asked him if I could get a setlist and he said "we don't really use those".  He dug around in a box behind the table and handed me a patch as a token instead. 

What can I say?  It was a great night.

:thumbsup:  Glad you and the wife had a good time Flyguy!  You must have had your wits about you because you have the whole setlist, something I've never done at a JRoddy show.  As far as the song you and Headdy have mentioned, I only know it as I'm Going Out, its not released but I believe is an original, and they play it all the time.  Another great rock song.

Was he sick, worn out from the road, or just putting on a show?  Pretty cool you got I Used to Did > Highway to Hell. 

J Roddy Walston and the Business: Southgate House Cincinnati/Newport KY.

Ruckus

And while I'm at it, this Used to Did from the Columbus show is sick!  My favorite tune I think.
3:20 on
J Roddy Walston & The Business: LIVE At The Basement. Columbus OH. Used to did

jones

Haha!  I just had a chance to glance at your post, Ruckus.  I can't wait to watch that video a little later! 

I kept the setlist on my phone and I had to leave myself "lyrical clues" to figure out the titles of 3 or 4 "bourbon induced unknowns" on my 5 hour drive home today.  On that journey home I spun each of their 2 discs twice (that equals 4)... It helped to pass the time.

Now that you ask, I don't know if it was for show or not.  I sure did believe it last night, but I was in the same shape that I thought Roddy was in and I was read to lay across that piano myself. 

Case in point: I checked my phone this morning and the Mrs. had to inform me that what I had labeled B&B (Back In Black) was actually Highway To Hell (I don't listen to AC/DC, but still).  Also, it took me an hour this morning to figure out what l/r meant.  Left/right? No, Little Richard.  I'm still trying to sort it all out.

jones

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
And while I'm at it, this Used to Did from the Columbus show is sick!  My favorite tune I think.
Spit at 3:42ish

jones

Apologies for the edits.

Go Malachi.

darkglow

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 12, 2011, 07:11 PM

i can definitely hear the bros banter at the end of this video..

darkglow

also wonder if JRoddy has a problem with the south. I wonder when a deep south tour will happen (this summer hopefully) given that he's from TN originally.

Ruckus

jones

J. Roddy Walston & The Business, Double Door, Chicago, IL, 2011-03-12

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=543282

Notes: 1st song cuts in, only a few seconds were missed.

I am downloading this right now and it is going pretty fast.  I will leave Vuze open today for seeding.

Ruckus

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 16, 2011, 11:00 AM

I am downloading this right now and it is going pretty fast.  I will leave Vuze open today for seeding.
Sweet, thanks for the headz up Flyguy!   :beer:  This would be my first live recording of theirs.  I convinced my best buddy in Chi who is quite the music fan to check this show out.  He dug it

jones

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
Quote from: flyguy on Mar 16, 2011, 11:00 AM

Sweet, thanks for the headz up Flyguy!   :beer:  This would be my first live recording of theirs.  I convinced my best buddy in Chi who is quite the music fan to check this show out.  He dug it
It hasn't been tough for me to turn several people on to them.  Thanks again, Ruckus!

Here's the setlist for the recording:

1. Don't Break The Needle
2. Full Growing Man
3. I Don't Wanna Hear It
4. Pigs And Pearls
5. Uh Oh Rock And Roll
6. Brave Man's Death
7. Lucille
8. Use Your Language
9. Used To Did

I'm listening on computer speakers, but it sounds pretty good so far.  Sounds like the bass is there and the highs seem nice and crisp on these 2" tweeters.