J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: Honest Man on May 04, 2011, 10:28 AM
I can't believe there was only like 50 people there. Had a great time. It was nice meeting you Penny and your roommate. You guys are super nice and friendly. J Roddy was also really nice. I think I will have to drop by the Brooklyn Bowl. These guys are solid!
Yeah, they've been grinding for a bit now but now they are getting someplace through word of mouth.  They have yet to become music media darlings but I can't help but imagine the summer festivals they'll be doing will accelerate their growth though I'll miss $10 shows in sweaty, drunken, rowdy bars.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

Ruckus, they know/remember you. I think that was a good crowd for a Tuesday night. Plus for Manhattan folk, I'm sure BK bowl is easier to get to and there might be some cannibalism.

I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

I fully intend on approaching the guys to thank them for some great music. Are they approachable at shows? I do not know much about them personally aside from the music and what I've casually read on this thread
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

jones

Quote from: wolof7 on May 04, 2011, 11:45 AM
I fully intend on approaching the guys to thank them for some great music. Are they approachable at shows? I do not know much about them personally aside from the music and what I've casually read on this thread
They definitely are.  In Newport I went up to Roddy long after the show was over and asked for a setlist as the band was just hanging out.  He said that they don't really use them and hooked me up with a free patch instead.  I think that aside from their awesomeness they are just average guys.  Does that even make sense?

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on May 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on May 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
Quote from: el_chode on May 04, 2011, 08:38 AM
I can honestly say that last night's show was too big for Maxwells, even if the crowd wasn't.

it was a huge change from seeing them the night before in brooklyn (quiet, stand far back hipster crowd)..last night was some great energy!

glad i got to rock out with Honest Man and Touchmepart2, then got to chat with mr chode and J Roddy a bunch afterwards

the Features are great, too..my roommate got their album...

Really excited to see them for the first time next week at the Met Show.....The Features are a great band who have yet to get their due. I suggest grabbing the Contrast EP or their album Exhibit A both of which are really fun listens!

Very approachable, all of them.

DeadBabiesInParis

Yeah they're very approachable.  I first saw them back in 2002 in a tiny bar in Arlington Virginia, and since then I've had them crash on my floor a few times after shows when they're in town.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Honest Man on May 04, 2011, 10:28 AM
I can't believe there was only like 50 people there. Had a great time. It was nice meeting you Penny and your roommate. You guys are super nice and friendly. J Roddy was also really nice. I think I will have to drop by the Brooklyn Bowl. These guys are solid!

Totally. Thats how their show was in Pittsburgh a couple months back. Hard to believe a band that is so good, and really has their own sound, doesnt have more fanfare/buzz. Which they definitely do, but it seems confined to the larger cities for the most part. Im pretty sure the MMJ board is the biggest contingent of J Roddy fans around!  ;D 8)

I could see these guys weekly and not get sick of them.

Also, Chode, that shirt might be more awesome than the Run Thru T's...you gotta print that shit!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

bold992006

It will be like that in Providence next Tues too....I'm going and most people I know going barely know who J Roddy is...Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons are opening and they are from Providence and do really well there...they are also opening for Deer Tick the next night....but I bet most people at the J Roddy show are there for Joe Fletcher.

capt. scotty

Quote from: flyguy on Apr 28, 2011, 02:26 PM
Interview and stripped down versions of Don't Break The Needle and Pigs & Pearls from 4/26/11:

http://1061thecorner.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5276221

Cool listen..Not sure if he was serious about all those celebs he said were fans or not..Im pretty sure at least here someone (probly Flyguy or Ruckus) posted Rachael Ray was a fan..Obama surprises me though!

I also hoped I could finally decipher the chorus of Pigs & Pearls, but still cant. I have figured out it is in fact "human friends" and not "real good friends" that are just so hard to fine, but that last line still sounds like a bunch of jibberish. You know you got a good song when someone loves it and they cant understand half the chorus  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 05, 2011, 03:29 PM
Interview and stripped down versions of Don't Break The Needle and Pigs & Pearls from 4/26/11:

Cool listen..Not sure if he was serious about all those celebs he said were fans or not..Im pretty sure at least here someone (probly Flyguy or Ruckus) posted Rachael Ray was a fan..Obama surprises me though!

I also hoped I could finally decipher the chorus of Pigs & Pearls, but still cant. I have figured out it is in fact "human friends" and not "real good friends" that are just so hard to fine, but that last line still sounds like a bunch of jibberish. You know you got a good song when someone loves it and they cant understand half the chorus  ;D
Congratulations Nurse Scotty (great movie btw)!
Do you mean the classic line "you are just a pig I fed with pearls"
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on May 05, 2011, 03:36 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on May 05, 2011, 03:29 PM

Congratulations Nurse Scotty (great movie btw)!
Do you mean the classic line "you are just a pig I fed with pearls"

Nah dude, the line before that where it sounds like Roddy's mouth will slap your mother or something like that.

This guy aint no RN yet. Got another 6 months or so plus boards. Summer classes begin monday. 3 day break, summer break sure aint what it used to be!

Edit: What movie you talkin about, Nurse Betty??

el_chode

Roddy was telling a story about Matthew McCaughanahey or whatever his name is, but I was really drunk by that point and don't remember it. But I think Mateo is a fan

wolof7

Quote from: el_chode on May 05, 2011, 06:18 PM
Roddy was telling a story about Matthew McCaughanahey or whatever his name is, but I was really drunk by that point and don't remember it. But I think Mateo is a fan

you talkin bout this guy? :-*

wolof7

Quote from: bold992006 on May 05, 2011, 03:28 PM
It will be like that in Providence next Tues too....I'm going and most people I know going barely know who J Roddy is...Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons are opening and they are from Providence and do really well there...they are also opening for Deer Tick the next night....but I bet most people at the J Roddy show are there for Joe Fletcher.

I'm thinkin the Met will be empty unfortunately....but more room for us to do some of this and a little of this  :D

capt. scotty

......so whats the 3rd line in the Pigs & Pearls chorus...... :(

jones

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 05, 2011, 07:34 PM
I hear this:

Well it's not that boy
It's not his brother
It's just me
Ya got no other
You made a friend
They're just trying to fight (find?)
Open my mouth
I'll shut your mouth
(Those) Horrible words
Gonna come around
You....
Are just a pig
I fed with pearls

EasyRyder

Quote from: flyguy on May 05, 2011, 07:58 PM
I hear this:

Well it's not that boy
It's not his brother
It's just me
Ya got no other
You made a friend
Open my mouth
I'll shut your mouth
(Those) Horrible words
Gonna come around
You....
Are just a pig
I fed with pearls

Go here to download pictures of J Roddy's handwritten lyrics and pics of other assorted weirdities: http://jroddywalstonandthebusiness.com/   it's the link at the bottom left corner. It has 20 or so pictures, really neat.

Pigs N Pearls looks to be this, y'all were close:

"Well it's not that boy, it's not his brother
It's just me, you got no other
Human friends, they're just hard to find
And with my mouth, I'll shut your mouth
And those awful words won't come about
You're just a pig I fed with pearls"
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

jones

Quote from: EasyRyder on May 05, 2011, 08:07 PM
Quote from: flyguy on May 05, 2011, 07:58 PM
I hear this:

Well it's not that boy
It's not his brother
It's just me
Ya got no other
You made a friend
Open my mouth
I'll shut your mouth
(Those) Horrible words
Gonna come around
You....
Are just a pig
I fed with pearls

Go here to download pictures of J Roddy's handwritten lyrics and pics of other assorted weirdities: http://jroddywalstonandthebusiness.com/   it's the link at the bottom left corner. It has 20 or so pictures, really neat.

Pigs N Pearls looks to be this, y'all were close:

"Well it's not that boy, it's not his brother
It's just me, you got no other
Human friends, they're just hard to find
And with my mouth, I'll shut your mouth
And those awful words won't come about
You're just a pig I fed with pearls"
Well, there you have it. 

I never noticed that tab on the website.  Thanks!

I guess that I didn't get that artwork with my iTunes download. :(

wolof7

RI show tomorrow night!!! f-ing psyched....rollin 10 deep! Don't know how it happened cept got 3-4 of my friends into them when the show was announced, then they got some peeps into them and so it goes (all starting on this forum)!!! It's a testament to the band cos that never happens with my friends, they usually don't care bout hittin up shows with me....Willin to meet up with some MMJ forum friends as well lemme know who is comin!!! :beer:

mjk73

Still bummed they cancelled their St Louis date and still have not rescheduled.