J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THESE GUYS.

Just gave their s/t album a serious listen last week, and I am a little depressed seeing that they've been here in Philly quite a bit in the past year.

Excited to see them in December. I've been looking for a rock and roll record like this, and that last Deer Tick album came close, but THIS is it.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

subinai

mercury lounge show is sold out sooooooo if you guys have an extra i'll happily take it off of ya! :)

TheBigChicken

man really can't wait ti hear these guys again....not ti be missed
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

For those going to the Mercury Lounge show, if you guys get the chance, please check out Gringo Starr, one of the opening acts.  It's my friend's cousin's band.  Their new album isn't necessarily in my wheelhouse because of the vocals but they've played with JRoddy a number of times and put on a fun live show.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

StaggerLee

My brother was just telling me about this band last weekend and now I see a thread here....
Looks like its time to give them a listen.
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

Ruckus

Quote from: StaggerLee on Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
My brother was just telling me about this band last weekend and now I see a thread here....
They're playing Philly on the 1st Saturday in December.  GO! :beer:

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 AM

Really looking forward to this and the Baltimore show the night before. Anticipating the following mornings' headaches.

mahg33ta

If someone asked me "what band that you haven't seen yet do you most want to, I'd say J Roddy" (as in touring these days, not some all-time deep question like Led Zep).

Since I have gotten into them (earlier this year), they have not played New England as far as I have seen. 

StaggerLee

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 AM

Doh' I will be in Cali for business that day.  Crap!
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

Penny Lane

I'll be at the NYC show--- ;)
and YES I'll check out Gringo Starr--even though they need to change their name!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Oh man do I feel like crap.  Had a blast as usual last night and though this must be corroborated by jrud or gtf, I believe they played She Don' Use Jelly for the the 1st time.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 03, 2011, 12:07 PM
Oh man do I feel like crap.  Had a blast as usual last night and though this must be corroborated by jrud or gtf, I believe they played She Don' Use Jelly for the the 1st time.

I'm probably not the most reliable source for information regarding last night.

j_rud

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 03, 2011, 04:05 PM

Yeah they did. They covered Petty and possibly James Brown as well. Maybe not James Brown but it was a soul/R&B staple, that I remember. Leaving soon for round 2 at Kung Fu Necktie.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

wolof7

Quote from: j_rud on Dec 03, 2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah they did. They covered Petty and possibly James Brown as well. Maybe not James Brown but it was a soul/R&B staple, that I remember. Leaving soon for round 2 at Kung Fu Necktie.

What petty song did they cover? She don't use Jelly is an interesting choice
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

j_rud

Quote from: wolof7 on Dec 03, 2011, 04:57 PM

Im pretty sure Dont Do Me Like That but Im not 100% on that...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Penny Lane

Quote from: j_rud on Dec 03, 2011, 04:59 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Dec 03, 2011, 04:57 PM

Im pretty sure Dont Do Me Like That but Im not 100% on that...

ha ha ...none of you can remember the setlist...that's what happens when you get jrud, GTF, ruckus and jroddy together..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

;D

Thats what happens when your get jroddy and ________together!

Sounds like it was a good one!  They played a James Brown cover when I saw them.   Don't remember the name. 
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I think it was Lucille. They've played it before... so.... that might have been it.

Ugh.

StaggerLee

These guys flipping rule.  I have not been able to stop listening to them for the past two weeks.  I am happy to hear their home base is in Baltimore.  Hopefully that means some more shows to come.  Sucks but I had to miss both the Philly and Baltimore show this past week.
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

jones

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 04, 2011, 11:53 PM
I think it was Lucille. They've played it before... so.... that might have been it.

Ugh.
Lucille is a Little Richard song and they play it regularly.

I'm glad to hear that you guys had such a memorable evening!  ;D