J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

I really wish they'd come to Austin when it wasn't for ACL or SXSW.  Most locals don't do SX and I need a J Roddy fix.

StaggerLee

Just scored tix to the Philly show.  Super pumped that the put that date back on the tour.  I am not motivated enough to go up to NYC to see them.

Anyone else going to the Philly show?  I am smelling some pre-show beers; as both Peafunk and My wife will be the pregnant designated drivers.
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: StaggerLee on Jan 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
Just scored tix to the Philly show.  Super pumped that the put that date back on the tour.  I am not motivated enough to go up to NYC to see them.

Anyone else going to the Philly show?  I am smelling some pre-show beers; as both Peafunk and My wife will be the pregnant designated drivers.

I'll be there... along with j_rud and his wife.

I have a tendency to behave badly when I get near J Roddy, so I offer you my apologies in advance.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

joey_rogo

Really want to see j roddy this tour. The only show that makes any sense for me is the northampton show... and that is a midweek show. Not sure if i should do that or not, will probably have to take the next day off.

Penny Lane

Quote from: joey_rogo on Jan 30, 2012, 03:57 PM
Really want to see j roddy this tour. The only show that makes any sense for me is the northampton show... and that is a midweek show. Not sure if i should do that or not, will probably have to take the next day off.

duder--4/20 show in NYC?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

j_rud

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jan 30, 2012, 03:54 PM

I have a tendency to behave badly when I get near J Roddy, so I offer you my apologies in advance.

He brings out the best in everyone...it truly is a gift...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

peafunk31

Quote from: j_rud on Jan 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jan 30, 2012, 03:54 PM

He brings out the best in everyone...it truly is a gift...

'cause its true f*cking rock n' roll man :thumbsup:

I've definitely "over-partied" for shows in the past. MPP anyone? ::) Looking to avoid that scenerio at this show. Although if Ruckus decides to bless us with his presence, all bets are off. Bourbon for everyone!
Homer no function beer well without.

joey_rogo

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 30, 2012, 04:53 PM

duder--4/20 show in NYC?

I'd love to, but I'm busy that evening. Northampton is only 1.5 hours from me. Nice town, saw Lucinda Williams there few years back. I'm on the fence. Also, just found out that the Avett Bros are coming to Albany on 4/22... so if I can't see Jrod at least I'll have them to tide me over.

marino13

Not sure how I missed this band and missed this thread until just a couple weeks ago.  Really liked what I heard so I got on ebay and found the s/t album for  1 cent with $3 shipping.  Just got it in the mail a few days ago.  Needless to say, it's been well worth it.

wolof7

Quote from: joey_rogo on Jan 31, 2012, 10:55 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 30, 2012, 04:53 PM

duder--4/20 show in NYC?

I'd love to, but I'm busy that evening. Northampton is only 1.5 hours from me. Nice town, saw Lucinda Williams there few years back. I'm on the fence. Also, just found out that the Avett Bros are coming to Albany on 4/22... so if I can't see Jrod at least I'll have them to tide me over.

Hey Joey I know Alexis and I will be at the Pawtucket, RI show for sure on Sat 4/21 with some friends, and ? of some g33ta presance!?!...it's 2 hrs still from Northampton but if you're lookin to hit one of the shows that weekend it may be another option...you'll be in good company....I know of some nearby hot spots where the brews are plentiful and where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano!!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

here's an update culled from the band's website:

.....In the meantime, we're hard at work writing and demoing songs for our next record, which we hope to have recorded by early-Summer. Thus far, the process is already much different than how we made our last two album. Those were culled from big batches of songs that we had written over the intervening two (in the case of the self-titled album) to six years (in the case of Hail Mega Boys), and we sorted out the favorites. You can hear different eras of Rod's songwriting butting up against one another because of how wide the swath of time between the oldest and newest tracks were. For this next record, most everything will have been written over the last six months and arranged by the band in a eight-week frenzy of activity. On January 1st we didn't have a single song ready for the next record. By February 29th, we hope to have twelve. We'll see.

And none of this begins to speak to when the album will actually be coming out, who'll be producing it, who'll be releasing it and whether the Mayans are going to wreck this whole thing in the end. Things for another time.........

YouAre_GivenToFly

god damn it their old bassist was ridiculous!  ;D

Rock & Roll II

wolof7

Ha I always wondered what happened to him??? In my mind I like to think that the rock and roll lifestyle just wasn't enough for him...

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 23, 2012, 06:42 AM
Ha I always wondered what happened to him??? In my mind I like to think that the rock and roll lifestyle just wasn't enough for him...
I don't think he left by choice.  My friend was hanging out at a bar a month ago and spent so time talking to Billy about guitars.  Apparently Zach was hanging out as well so I guess he's still hangin' around town?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

EasyRyder

It's J Roddy Day in Birmingham  :D Really hoping they bust out some new sawngs.

I'll report back if there's any newness worth reporting back about...
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

YouAre_GivenToFly

They posted a chalkboard with a list of 20-some song titles on facebook a few days ago. I bet you'll get some new ones. Quite looking forward to seeing them again in April.

EasyRyder

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
They posted a chalkboard with a list of 20-some song titles on facebook a few days ago. I bet you'll get some new ones. Quite looking forward to seeing them again in April.

Sweet! I somehow missed the chalkboard, but that's good to know. I have no idea what these new ones will sound like, I'm just curious in seeing how their sound evolves given their roots.

I'm sure they'll transcend any stuck-ness which plagues bands of lesser caliber and hair follicle.

YouAre_GivenToFly

EasyRyder

they played midnight cry the other night, and that was a BIG standout. I enjoyed the new material, and it sounds like there will be a lot more high-pitched backing vocals on the album   ;D

J Roddy was all over the keys during the set, and his playing was louder than I've ever heard before. Much newness to come and be enjoyed it seems. Wish I could explain the new stuff better, but it definitely is reminiscent of S/T.

Fully

Tonight - ExitIn - Nashville. There will be rock and there will be fun!! I'm going to have to go take a dip to cool down.

:bath: