J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

The Met show was great, J. Rod and The Biz worked through a scorching 50 minute set playing 10 songs and won a lot of the Lucero fans over as far as I could tell and Lucero talked them up quite a bit...

J. Rod played "I'm Going Out" which was awesome as it was a somewhat reunion among a lot of my friends and we had around 12 people there. They also played 2 new songs (def. Midnight Cry which was great and had a great response) and Strange Love(it was listed on the setlist), the rest of the set was comprised of songs from their s/t release and their Little Richard cover, Lucille.

I "obtained" the show poster (the shoddy venue generated one) hanging outside the bathroom, and My wife and I were front and center and was able to obtain the setlist so we got some good momentos!   
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

capt. scotty

Just checked in here and caught a tour schedule that was posted like 2-3 months ago, and it looks like theyre playing in Harrisburg, PA tonight?! It figures Im out in Montana. Judging by the last few tours, I think I may have scared the Biz from returning to the Burgh  ;D

Great to see theyre playing new tunes and have an album in the works though!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

GO4IT

Anyone going to the show in DC tonight at the Rock and Roll Hotel?
I need one more ticket now that it sold out.  Please PM me if you have one!

GO4IT

Just regaining consciousness after last night's (and this morning's) show at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC.

Does it get any better than seeing this band right now in a sweaty sold out dive bar where you have no expectations of surviving if fire breaks out?
I don't think so.

They rocked the house and get better every time I see them.

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Sep 08, 2012, 01:14 PM
Just regaining consciousness after last night's (and this morning's) show at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC.

Does it get any better than seeing this band right now in a sweaty sold out dive bar where you have no expectations of surviving if fire breaks out?
I don't think so.

Sounds like a great time Rob!  I hope you found the extra ticket you needed. :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Quote from: GO4IT on Sep 08, 2012, 01:14 PM

I don't think so.

Sounds like a great time Rob!  I hope you found the extra ticket you needed. :beer:

We never found a ticket for our friend Bren but the Ms and I had our tix from the day they went on sale and are partying now with her (she was at the MPP show, BTW) to ease her pain from missing the show.

J Roddy was really whipping his long hair around like Jim always does.  I think that the two of them should have a head banging - hair flying contest for sure.  I would pay to see that.

Ruckus

Seeing him again tonight at a sold out Ottobar with giventofly and maybe headdy.  They announced that they tracked 15 demos and have big news in store.  Last I had heard, they were talking to ATO.  I'm guessing they got signed to some new label that isn't Vagrant and will be recording early next year and touring properly with the backing of a committed label. (pure conjecture) Heard two new songs last time I saw them.  Hope to catch more new material or new covers tonight.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
Seeing him again tonight at a sold out Ottobar with giventofly and maybe headdy.  They announced that they tracked 15 demos and have big news in store.  Last I had heard, they were talking to ATO.  I'm guessing they got signed to some new label that isn't Vagrant and will be recording early next year and touring properly with the backing of a committed label. (pure conjecture) Heard two new songs last time I saw them.  Hope to catch more new material or new covers tonight.

that is great news! i liked the new stuff i heard in richmond---
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

finally!    :thumbsup:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jeff Murray

Nice!  I've seen them twice so far this year... once opening for Lucero and a headline show.  Can't wait to see them again with some new material...
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Ruckus

The show was incredible!  I believe that was my 7th JRoddy headlining show in the last 2 years and it was one of the best.  The crowd on a Friday hometown show was bonkers as usual and they played 5 new songs I believe, 3 of which I'd never heard before.  I don't know any of the names but two of them really stood out and rocked.  Good times, good times.

On a side note, yesterday was the Mayor's parade in Baltimore and we were drinking some Bohs on our friend's stoop watching the parade when I started talking about the show with a friend.  A split second later, JRoddy's old bassist walked by us.  Oh Smalltimore.

StaggerLee

These guys have to come up to Philly soon.  I saw them last year at a deertick/lucero show.  They only played for 40 minutes or so and it WAS NOT ENOUGH!  Cant wait to see them as a headliner!!!
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 03, 2012, 12:08 PM
The show was incredible!  I believe that was my 7th JRoddy headlining show in the last 2 years and it was one of the best.  The crowd on a Friday hometown show was bonkers as usual and they played 5 new songs I believe, 3 of which I'd never heard before.  I don't know any of the names but two of them really stood out and rocked.  Good times, good times.

Great show my man..That was my 4th time seeing them, but the 3 others in Pittsburgh or Harrisburg couldnt hold a candle to this show. They have energy every show, but it was clear they take it up a notch in the hometown or for a big crowd. So glad I was able to get down there for this show and see yinz.

Getting home at 430am was the worst drive ever (and I had to wake up at 6am) but it was totally worth it. I almost think its worth seeing JRoddy just in BMore from here on out
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 04, 2012, 11:23 PM

Great show my man..That was my 4th time seeing them, but the 3 others in Pittsburgh or Harrisburg couldnt hold a candle to this show. They have energy every show, but it was clear they take it up a notch in the hometown or for a big crowd. So glad I was able to get down there for this show and see yinz.

Getting home at 430am was the worst drive ever (and I had to wake up at 6am) but it was totally worth it. I almost think its worth seeing JRoddy just in BMore from here on out
Great times for sure.  Too bad you didn't watch Japanese games shows with us until the sun came up!

GO4IT

On a side note, yesterday was the Mayor's parade in Baltimore and we were drinking some Bohs on our friend's stoop watching the parade when I started talking about the show with a friend.  A split second later, JRoddy's old bassist walked by us.  Oh Smalltimore.
The Ottobar is THE place to seem them. I had to make the Sophie's Choice that night and saw Neil Young instead.
Glad to hear you caught a great show.

capt. scotty

Im guessing the rest of this show or most of it is on youtube, but had to post this bc its a Top 5 song since 2000 for me (recently came to this conclusion) and didnt realize there was live J Roddy of this high quality on youtube....Hell yes!!

J. Roddy Walston and the Business / Brave Man's Death LIVE @ Lebowski Fest 7/15/11

GO4IT

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
Im guessing the rest of this show or most of it is on youtube, but had to post this bc its a Top 5 song since 2000 for me (recently came to this conclusion) and didnt realize there was live J Roddy of this high quality on youtube....Hell yes!!

J. Roddy Walston and the Business / Brave Man's Death LIVE @ Lebowski Fest 7/15/11

Oh no!!!!

Last time I heard this live in Sept I couldn't get it out of my head for a month.

After listening to this great video now it's back in there rolling around!

Ruckus

Thought I'd pass on some good news and hopefully they don't mind.  Ran into JRod and Logan at the Tame Impala show at the 930 and they said big label, new album and tour.  Done and done and done.  It was nice to see them other than their shows so they don't think I only stalk them but actually go see other shows.

Stoked!  They iz about to blow up.

wolof7

Well then I'm glad I saw them that one Monday night in providence when joe fletcher and the wrong reasons opened and there were maybe 30attendees (which consisted of 8 of my friends and all of Deertick)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee