J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 23, 2013, 07:31 AM
Well then I'm glad I saw them that one Monday night in providence when joe fletcher and the wrong reasons opened and there maybe 30attendees (which consisted of 8 of my friends and all of Deertick)
That's a great story!

Jeff Murray

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 23, 2013, 01:45 AM
Thought I'd pass on some good news and hopefully they don't mind.  Ran into JRod and Logan at the Tame Impala show at the 930 and they said big label, new album and tour.  Done and done and done.  It was nice to see them other than their shows so they don't think I only stalk them but actually go see other shows.

Stoked!  They iz about to blow up.

Awesome news! 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

bluesky

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Feb 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
Thought I'd pass on some good news and hopefully they don't mind.  Ran into JRod and Logan at the Tame Impala show at the 930 and they said big label, new album and tour.  Done and done and done.  It was nice to see them other than their shows so they don't think I only stalk them but actually go see other shows.

Awesome news!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

capt. scotty

Fuck yes! I know they had been saying March for the new album. Guessing it wont be quite that early, but you get any updates on that?!

Considering they are at Shaky Knees Fest in ATL very early May, a lot of news has to be on the near horizon I presume!  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

manonthemoon

Really great news, been itchin to see them live and for a new record as well.
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

Great to hear they're getting some well-deserved recognition.

I just hope this doesn't mean they're done with the Ottobar.  I need to see them there again!

Cameron

YouAre_GivenToFly

This calls for a celebratory malibu and coke.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

thanks, Ruckus! great news....very excited..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mahg33ta

Thanks Ruckus.   Been trying to catch these guys for a while now.... still haven't.   If I do Shaky Knees that'll do it but if not, hopefully they come to Boston.

justbcuzido

First off, these guys are amazing and I am lucky I have been able to see them twice. The first time I saw them was in Chicago at the Double Door last year where I got to meet the guitarist in an weird way.

So while one of the warm up bands was playing I had to go to the bathroom. I am at the urinal when in walks their guitarist who is easy to spot with his shaggy hair and leather jacket and he's standing next to me in this tiny bathroom.

"Hey, your Bill from J Roddy aren't you, can I call you Bill? Well, you guys rock. I'm Josh"
"It's Billy, but sure. Thanks though, I'd shake your hand, but mines been on my ****, enjoy the show".
"Thanks Bill for that, oh and Tight Dick Playa!" (East Bound and Down reference for those unaware). To which we both awkwardly laughed.

And I walked out not really knowing what just transpired (Keep in mind my friend and I drank a bottle of Jameson before the show, so I was probably slurring). What made it more awkward was I wound up pushing my up to the very front for their show and was in front of Billy to which randomly throughout the show he'd give me strange looks and a laugh. Awesome show, awesome band.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

BH

Ha!   Similar to my experience from awhile back:

Quote from: BH on Jul 27, 2011, 05:10 PM

How did you know?!?!   Ahh it was fucking great.   He did a little Richard song, and two other songs I didn't know but otherwise I think they played the entire S/T and one or two from HMB.   Those guys just rock.   There was only 40-50 people there which sucked for St. Louis but they could have played in an arena and still brought the house down.

I think the fact that I had a conversation in the bathroom with 3/4 of the band about pubic hair sums up the night pretty well.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

justbcuzido

Quote from: BH on Feb 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
Ha!   Similar to my experience from awhile back:

Quote from: BH on Jul 27, 2011, 05:10 PM

How did you know?!?!   Ahh it was fucking great.   He did a little Richard song, and two other songs I didn't know but otherwise I think they played the entire S/T and one or two from HMB.   Those guys just rock.   There was only 40-50 people there which sucked for St. Louis but they could have played in an arena and still brought the house down.

I think the fact that I had a conversation in the bathroom with 3/4 of the band about pubic hair sums up the night pretty well.

And here I was, thinking I was special ;)... That is too funny though we both had interesting bathroom meetings with these guys. I love them even more for that!

YouAre_GivenToFly

CONFIRMED.

"Really excited to announce a whole mess of news -- We've signed to ATO Records and are heading to Valdosta, GA later this month to work on a new record with Mark Neill and Mat Wignall. We also just announced a bunch of new tour dates."

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

justbcuzido

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 04, 2013, 03:51 PM

CONFIRMED.

"Really excited to announce a whole mess of news -- We've signed to ATO Records and are heading to Valdosta, GA later this month to work on a new record with Mark Neill and Mat Wignall. We also just announced a bunch of new tour dates."

Saw this. Upset they aren't coming through to Austin. Especially, because on Christmas Eve they had a facebook Q&A session and I asked if they would be down here and they said more than once this year. They canceled on SXSW as well.

I still have hope.

Either way, really excited for these guys.

capt. scotty

A little bummed they havent even recorded the album yet, wondering what that means for a release date. Fall?

Im also sure theyre going to announce a large tour to promote the album once its released so I wouldnt be too worried justbcuzido.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

:thumbsup:   JRoddy and Monday night.   Tough Tuesday!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jeff Murray

Some new tour dates... Glad they are playing York, close enough to be a hometown show for me... granted it's in a theater, but they are getting too big for the small clubs... good for them!

May30 Lincoln, NE
May31 Minneapolis, MN
Jun01 Bonner Springs, KS
Jun06 Detroit, MI
Jun07 Canandaigua, NY Cmac Performing Arts Center
Jun08 York, PA Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center
Jun12 Portsmouth, VA Ntelos Wireless Pavilion
Jun13 Cary, NC Koka Booth Ampitheater
Jul03 Mcgaheysville, VA
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

capt. scotty

Jeff, I saw a couple shows at the Strand when I was living in HBurg, and that venue was awesome, great acoustics. Id love to see J Roddy there, wish I was still in the area to see that.

I dont know about all of those dates, but I looked at the VA ones because I may be living there come June, and theyre opening for The Lumineers and Cold War Kids. Im sure theyll make some new fans, but talk about an odd pairing of bands, even Lumineers and CWKids. I would suspect much of the crowd is only a fan of/attends the show for 1 of these 3 bands.

GO4IT

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Apr 06, 2013, 08:11 AM
Some new tour dates... Glad they are playing York, close enough to be a hometown show for me... granted it's in a theater, but they are getting too big for the small clubs... good for them!

May30 Lincoln, NE
May31 Minneapolis, MN
Jun01 Bonner Springs, KS
Jun06 Detroit, MI
Jun07 Canandaigua, NY Cmac Performing Arts Center
Jun08 York, PA Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center
Jun12 Portsmouth, VA Ntelos Wireless Pavilion
Jun13 Cary, NC Koka Booth Ampitheater
Jul03 Mcgaheysville, VA

Jeff, are you going to the June 8th show?