J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Murray

Planning on it Rob!  Just trying to see how many friends I can get to go along.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Jeff Murray

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 06, 2013, 01:04 PM
Jeff, I saw a couple shows at the Strand when I was living in HBurg, and that venue was awesome, great acoustics. Id love to see J Roddy there, wish I was still in the area to see that.

I dont know about all of those dates, but I looked at the VA ones because I may be living there come June, and theyre opening for The Lumineers and Cold War Kids. Im sure theyll make some new fans, but talk about an odd pairing of bands, even Lumineers and CWKids. I would suspect much of the crowd is only a fan of/attends the show for 1 of these 3 bands.

I have had tickets to go to shows there, but something always came up... Now I got two within a month of each other... Going to see Josh Ritter there in May too.  They seem to bring in some great talent so these shows might make me more inclined to go there more often.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Apr 07, 2013, 03:15 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 06, 2013, 01:04 PM
Jeff, I saw a couple shows at the Strand when I was living in HBurg, and that venue was awesome, great acoustics. Id love to see J Roddy there, wish I was still in the area to see that.

I dont know about all of those dates, but I looked at the VA ones because I may be living there come June, and theyre opening for The Lumineers and Cold War Kids. Im sure theyll make some new fans, but talk about an odd pairing of bands, even Lumineers and CWKids. I would suspect much of the crowd is only a fan of/attends the show for 1 of these 3 bands.

I have had tickets to go to shows there, but something always came up... Now I got two within a month of each other... Going to see Josh Ritter there in May too.  They seem to bring in some great talent so these shows might make me more inclined to go there more often.
Yeah it's the beginning of the end.  Lumineers and Cold War Kids :tongue: :angry: :rolleyes: :lipsrsealed: :undecided:

I saw Deer Tick at the Strand and enjoyed it a lot.  GA seated theater with a small pit in the front.  They sounded great!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

And GO4IT, an intoxicated caravan will be trudging up 83 that evening from here as well.

GO4IT

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Apr 07, 2013, 03:12 PM
Planning on it Rob!  Just trying to see how many friends I can get to go along.

Well count Teri and I in!  I'll purchase my tix post haste :cheesy:

We'll have to do a meet up drink and eat ahead of time to keep up the Port Chester traditions!

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 07, 2013, 04:12 PM
And GO4IT, an intoxicated caravan will be trudging up 83 that evening from here as well.

What is that going to look like?  A limo with a tapped keg and mixed drinks?  If so, count me in! :beer:

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Apr 07, 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 07, 2013, 04:12 PM

What is that going to look like?  A limo with a tapped keg and mixed drinks?  If so, count me in! :beer:
now you have me considering this idea!  Can't believe we'll finally get a set with likely majority new material

Jeff Murray

So any plans for the pregame?  I got a buddy coming down with me and might have an extra ticket to boot... Look forward to seeing everyone again!    :beer:

GO4IT

Ms GO4IT and I are still all in.  This is you territory, Jeff, so just let us know where to show up for the pre-party!

Jeff Murray

Sheee... iiittt... I only drive thru York to get to Bmore!  I'm about as familiar as anyone else with the city.  I'll have to look to see what is close to the theater and ask some friends... I'll post what I find out.

Jeff Murray

What time are you guys planning on lining up at the theater??   :wink:

Jeff Murray

I found a few fine establishments that will put up with a rowdy J. Roddy crew and is within stumbling distance to the theater...

Mudhook Brewing Co - I hear the food isn't good but the beer is...
Holy Hound Taproom - 36 beers on tap... might even have Natty Boh for you Baltimorons
Maewyn's Irish Pub - I've been here... They have Guinness....

All are within a block of the theater... Unless there are some other events going on street parking shouldn't be an issue.

What time is everyone looking at hitting York?

manonthemoon

Was just there yesterday for the mountain goats and I got to say that I don't really love the seated venue at all, it feels like it sucks a lot of the shows energy from the crowd, but I am known for being negative.  I am really interested to see how JTW does with this set up as I can't believe the crowd will want to be subdued.

We haven't decided what time we're heading up, but if people are interested in meeting up beforehand we would be all for that as well.  I don't know the area at all, but yesterday I stopped into Bistro 19 which is across the street from the venue.  Pretty solid beer list 6 on tap and about 40 on a bottle list and good scotch if you like that and the wings were really good, not hot which i love, but great flavor with a mustard sauce.  So just thought I would throw that out there as it was fresh in the mind. 

I was actually the first in line at 6:00 for the show with doors at 7, but there were probably 10 to 15 people waiting early so got the front middle seat.  I am guessing the crowd will be a simliar size for JTW given as it isn't sold out yet as was the TMG.

So just sound off with whatever sounds good to the group and we'll make it happen. :beer:
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

Here are a few options I found on tripadvisor including some mentioned by others:

Bistro 19:
http://www.bistro19york.com/index.asp

First Capital Dispensing Company:
http://firstcapitaldispensing.com/

Holly Hound Taproom
http://holyhoundtaproom.com/

Big Lou's
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54046-d3830889-Reviews-Big_Lou_s_BBQ-York_Pennsylvania.html

We were planning to get up to York around 4PM or so, depending upon when Rukus' limo with a tapped keg of Natty Boh is leaving B'more.

Ruckus

Not sure when we'll get there but we need to go firework shopping across the border first.  I can't believe it's all seated.  Are we sure about this?  When we saw Deer Tick there two years ago, it was all GA seated except for a small pit in front of the stage in front of the seats.  People were rocking and dancing in the aisles and not seated.  I sure hope they didn't add seats all the way in the front.

Give us a time and a place and we'll be there any time after 5.

:drum:

Jeff Murray

The show is GA but with seats... I highly doubt people will be sitting in those seats... more using them as a space divider...

I guess it depends what everyone is looking for prior to the show.  The Bistro 19 is nice and has good food.  I would recommend this if you want a nice dinner prior to the show.  (It's definitely better than the mexican restaurant we met the first night of PC GO4IT!)

If you want a relaxing place to meet up I would go with Holy Hound, can't speak for the food, but they have a more casual atmosphere. 

I'm thinking of hitting the brewery first, never been there and haven't had their beers yet, and then meeting up with you guys somewhere.  I'm shooting for a 5:00 ETA...

manonthemoon

See I thought that people would do that for TMG but didn't want to set the trend as this is more of a subdued type of crowd than I am used to with metal shows, but noone stood up until the band was like get up and help us out on this one for the last song and the two encores.  I really hope the crowd is all over the place for this though and no they didn't add any new seats.

We're planning on getting up there around 4:30 or 5 depending on traffic from VA.  As far as venue for the meetup whatever works for everyone as never been too picky.  I just stopped into the Bar portion of Bistro 19 due to the proximity and since people were sitting outside and a few more were at the bar, so didn't even realize it was a nicer resturant attached.

So we need to make sure Ruckus doesn't have too good of a time and decide the show needs a "lightshow" with his new acquisitions  :grin:.  Oh and if your tickets are will call then i think that opens 2 hours prior to the show IIRC.
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

I have Jeff's cell but not Rukus' or Manonthemoon if you want to PM me that and I'll send you mine.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jun 06, 2013, 08:25 PM
So we need to make sure Ruckus doesn't have too good of a time and decide the show needs a "lightshow" with his new acquisitions  :grin:

http://youtu.be/YZ0B6kvFy-k

GO4IT

Geez, Jeff, I hope this video isn't starting us down that butt-chuggin' path of Port Chester.

My advice to Ruckus - buy the biggest ass rockets you can find at Phantom fireworks.