J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Excuse me sir.  Do you have buy one get one ass rockets prior to July 4th?

http://youtu.be/rlyWGbHRQJk
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

I'm not going to this show obviously, but I really like the turn this thread has taken! It's always great when people put some EFFORT into making this place fun.

manonthemoon

So whats the plan for tomorrow?  Guessing most are getting there at around 5 or so and is there a place that people want to head to first?

Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 07, 2013, 12:50 AM
Excuse me sir.  Do you have buy one get one ass rockets prior to July 4th?

http://youtu.be/rlyWGbHRQJk

Don't laugh!

The last time I was at one of those PA fireworks shops that's exactly what the deal was.  I got twice as many big ass rockets as I had bargained for.

If you haven't figured this out yet, these firework stores are very sketchy since most of the fireworks they sell are illegal in PA (go figure).  They operate by making you divulge all this info about yourself, the least of which is that you live out of state, and sign a bunch of forms (at least they did a few years ago).  Of course now that the govt is spying on your e-mails, phone calls and, no doubt, this forum, all hope of keeping anything personal and confidential is lost anyways.

GO4IT

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jun 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
So whats the plan for tomorrow?  Guessing most are getting there at around 5 or so and is there a place that people want to head to first?

So, based on the posts so far, I'm good with Bistro 19 since I'd like to get a decent dinner before the show and it seems like they have more than enough beer to choose from on tap and in bottle.

If everyone is ok with this venue, how many do we have?
Ruckus + 1
Manonthemoon +1
GO4OT +1
Anyone else?  I can make a reservation for a big ass table if ye other voyagers want to meet up here.
We're still trying to get up there around 4 but we're notoriously late sometimes.

wolof7

I am anxiously awaiting to hear reviews of this show! Hopefully you'll get some tasty new tracks! Wish I was there with this fine group
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

GO4IT

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Jun 07, 2013, 11:07 PM

So, based on the posts so far, I'm good with Bistro 19 since I'd like to get a decent dinner before the show and it seems like they have more than enough beer to choose from on tap and in bottle.

Ruckus + 1
Manonthemoon +1
GO4OT +1
Anyone else?  I can make a reservation for a big ass table if ye other voyagers want to meet up here.
We're still trying to get up there around 4 but we're notoriously late sometimes.
No need to reserve a spot for us for food.  We're coming from a bbq birthday party so just a spot at the bar prior to the show is fine.  If you guys are all seated and there is room, we'll join you.  I assume Bistro 9 will allow me to openly consume some mystery potion out of my Masters of the Universe flask?

Jeff Murray

Quote from: wolof7 on Jun 08, 2013, 08:41 AM
I am anxiously awaiting to hear reviews of this show! Hopefully you'll get some tasty new tracks! Wish I was there with this fine group

They posted on facebook that there will be a lot of new material played... plus only the two bands so plenty of time to rock our socks off...
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Jeff Murray

Quote from: GO4IT on Jun 07, 2013, 11:07 PM

Ruckus + 1
Manonthemoon +1
GO4OT +1

I got +2 coming with me... not sure if we will be dining, but we will be drinking! 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

GO4IT

We will depart as soon as Ms GO4IT is ready  :rolleyes: and now will probably not arrive until 5:30.  See y'all then!

When do gates open, when should we get there?

danz

I went to Amoeba SF today and they didn't even have one J Roddy album.  Blasphemy?

GO4IT

We had a great time last night meeting up with all the forum folks and friends.  It was a good show with about 3 or 4 songs off their forthcoming album in an nice restored theater.  We were all dancing up front and it was very relaxed and uncrowded.  I didn't see a single security person but somehow we survived :grin:
Pix and video coming....
On to FJM at the Ottobar with Ruckus tonight.

manonthemoon

Quote from: danz on Jun 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
I went to Amoeba SF today and they didn't even have one J Roddy album.  Blasphemy?

I talked to the merch guy last night and he said they have been out of vinyl for a while now as I was hoping to at least snag a copy of the self titled albmum and Hail if they had that one.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Quote from: GO4IT on Jun 09, 2013, 10:05 AM
We had a great time last night meeting up with all the forum folks and friends.  It was a good show with about 3 or 4 songs off their forthcoming album in an nice restored theater.  We were all dancing up front and it was very relaxed and uncrowded.  I didn't see a single security person but somehow we survived :grin:
Pix and video coming....

The show was great and it was awesome catching up with everyone, Robs and their significant others and meeting Jeff.  I can't say I loved the new stuff as much as the older tunes, but they do put on a great show.  Was hoping that they would pull out a Malachi but they did most of the rest of the songs that I really love. 
Alive or Just Breathing

Ruckus

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jun 09, 2013, 10:52 PM
Quote from: GO4IT on Jun 09, 2013, 10:05 AM
Pix and video coming....

The show was great and it was awesome catching up with everyone, Robs and their significant others and meeting Jeff.  I can't say I loved the new stuff as much as the older tunes, but they do put on a great show.  Was hoping that they would pull out a Malachi but they did most of the rest of the songs that I really love.
We had a great time guys!  I'm sorry you didn't get Malachi Brett.  They've probably only played it a couple of times in the many shows I've caught.  It really is a great track.  We desperately wanted 19 ought 4 and didn't happen.  I tend to agree with you about the new tracks but there's that one real funky track that was a good time and they jammed one out at the end as well.  I wish I knew names for them.  Such a great time hanging with everyone, dancing with GO4IT's wife, and meeting Jeff's friends.

Hey Danz.  Their S/T vinyl never got much store distribution and their first album was never pressed.  That said, I was talking to Billy after the show and he said they owned the rights to Hail Mega Boys and intend on pressing it and releasing it in the near future.  I don't know if that means this year or in three but I'm excited either way.

capt. scotty

Glad yinz seemed to enjoy your show in York the other night. I dug that venue when I saw Blitzen Trapper there, but then again I was the only person rocking out in front of the seats until I had a few others join me later!!

Cant believe I just paid $40+ to see J Roddy open for Of Monsters and Men, errr, The Lumineers tomorrow and Cold War Kids and probably play for 30 minutes but oh well, at least I got pit tickets for less than face. I dont dislike the other bands either, actually have CWK debut album. CWK live are decent from what Ive seen previously. Interested to see how many are down there in the pit for J Roddy early on!! Guessing a group that could fit in a middle school classroom  :grin:

Im surprised at this point there havent been any updates on the new album since mid-March. Seemed like it was supposed to be a spring release, and now we are fully in summer with no release timetable or additional dates. I guess thats part of the reason why they arent playing many more new tunes than they have for the past year or so, but I anxiously await the new album.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

GO4IT

The faithful on the rail just before the J Roddy show at the Strand last Sat.

el_chode

I don't know if my other thread just had no interest or got buried or missed or whatever, but if anyone is going to appreciate this band, I think it's Roddy fans. It's a dude out of San Diego my buddy sent me:

Low Volts // 'History Told Me'
I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

I know we'll all be ready for this!

Baltimore-based rock 'n roll band J. Roddy Walston and The Business have released a teaser for their explosive song "Heavy Bells," one of the tracks from the group's forthcoming album, Essential Tremors.

J. Roddy Walston and The Business is comprised of lead vocalist, guitarist and pianist J. Roddy Walston, lead guitarist and vocalist Billy Gordon, bassist and vocalist Logan Davis and drummer Steve Colmus. iEssential Tremors is the band's third release and is set for release on Sept. 10 via ATO Records. The album blends classic rock & roll with Motown flavor and was recorded in Valdosta, Ga.

J. Roddy Walston and The Business has toured with Deer Tick, The Hold Steady and, most recently, The Lumineers. Mark Neill (producer and engineer of Black Keys' Brothers and Matt Wignall (Cold War Kids, Delta Spirit) helped put together the album.

Check out the teaser video above and the tracklist for Essential Tremors below:

Essential Tremors Tracklist:
1. Heavy Bells
2. Marigold
3. Take It As It Comes
4. Black Light
5. Sweat Shock
6. Nobody Knows
7. Hard Times
8. Boys Can Never Tell
9. Same Days
10. Tear Jerk