J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 03, 2013, 11:56 PM
Quote from: BH on Sep 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
I was worried they wouldn't be able to create the magic of the self titled.   But I loved this first time thru!    They explored some new territory but still give you the best of the business!  Serious ass kickers, steel guitar, interesting lyrics.....can't wait to share a few drinks with this album!
Well said.  Three albums in and no missteps.  Nice natural progression.  I've seen a number of these songs live a bunch of times now and was wondering how the album would sound.  Needless to say I'm pretty blown away.  Just great stuff! :thumbsup: :beer:

Agreed with all of this. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it with more spins on the turntable. But after disappointing albums by Deer Tick, Neko Case and Richard Buckner (3 of my most anticipated releases this fall) it's nice to hear that the J. Roddy album has taken their music to new heights and succeeded.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 04, 2013, 07:45 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 03, 2013, 11:56 PM
Quote from: BH on Sep 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
I was worried they wouldn't be able to create the magic of the self titled.   But I loved this first time thru!    They explored some new territory but still give you the best of the business!  Serious ass kickers, steel guitar, interesting lyrics.....can't wait to share a few drinks with this album!
Well said.  Three albums in and no missteps.  Nice natural progression.  I've seen a number of these songs live a bunch of times now and was wondering how the album would sound.  Needless to say I'm pretty blown away.  Just great stuff! :thumbsup: :beer:

Agreed with all of this. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it with more spins on the turntable. But after disappointing albums by Deer Tick, Neko Case and Richard Buckner (3 of my most anticipated releases this fall) it's nice to hear that the J. Roddy album has taken their music to new heights and succeeded.
Can't wait to get the vinyl as well.  If there was a least favorite, it was midnight cry.  Glad that's the last song.  Heard that the last two times I saw them and it had me a tad worried ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jeff Murray

So far I'm digging the album.  I am curious what the extra songs sound like though.  I will admit, I am missing the piano on this record... I think that is why Tear Jerk is my favorite song at the moment, that very well may change as time goes on.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

BH

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Sep 04, 2013, 11:34 AM
So far I'm digging the album.  I am curious what the extra songs sound like though.  I will admit, I am missing the piano on this record... I think that is why Tear Jerk is my favorite song at the moment, that very well may change as time goes on.

I think the variety will keep the live show a little more fresh.   I was worried 7 more piano rockers would make it a little same ol same ol for new fans at shows.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Murph

http://girlieinterns.tumblr.com/post/59124088401/j-roddy-walston-the-business-a-band

Here's a little review I wrote up real quick for my company Tumblr if anyone is interested in taking a gander

capt. scotty

Liking it. S/T hit me on first listen, and while I really liked what Im hearing on Essential Tremors, I can tell it will grow on me even more, if for any reason because lyrically it seemed like there was a lot more going on. Im also plan on not trying to compare it to S/T as that is probably my favorite album since It Still Moves.

Despite hearing I think 5 of these songs before today, I was still pretty surprised by the variety of sounds on ET. There is much more of an early rock and roll as opposed to a classic rock sound here to me. There's still the dirty rockers like Heavy Bells and Sweat Shock, but not near as many. Not sure how I feel about that, but I cant say there's a song I dont like on ET either. Just an initial impression but it seems like this is a more personal J Roddy album.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Mr. White

It looks like they're on their way back to Louisville in a few weeks (September 25, 2013) as part of WFPK's Waterfront Wednesday.

"All set times are approximate. Gates open at 5 p.m. More info is available for directions and everything else you need to enjoy WFPK Waterfront Wednesday.

J. Roddy Walston and the Business (approx. 9 p.m.)

WFPK Waterfront Wednesday is presented by 91.9 WFPK and Waterfront Development Corporation with support from Friends of the Waterfront and is FREE to all."

http://wfpk.org/2013/wfpk-waterfront-wednesday-september-25/
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
It looks like they're on their way back to Louisville in a few weeks (September 25, 2013) as part of WFPK's Waterfront Wednesday.

"All set times are approximate. Gates open at 5 p.m. More info is available for directions and everything else you need to enjoy WFPK Waterfront Wednesday.

WFPK Waterfront Wednesday is presented by 91.9 WFPK and Waterfront Development Corporation with support from Friends of the Waterfront and is FREE to all."

Do they broadcast these shows, by any chance?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 05, 2013, 08:30 AM

I called them today during my lunch break, and they said they don't record or broadcast Waterfront Wednesdays at this point in time.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 05, 2013, 07:20 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 05, 2013, 08:30 AM

I called them today during my lunch break, and they said they don't record or broadcast Waterfront Wednesdays at this point in time.
Thanks for checkin', Mr. White!  :beer:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

marino13

Great set at Loufest, first time seeing them live.  Was able to buy the new album a few days early in the merch tent and get it signed by the band. 

hellbus

Does anybody know where we can find some of their older, self-released stuff? LMNEP, Fierce Tiger, etc?

Ruckus

Quote from: hellbus on Sep 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
Does anybody know where we can find some of their older, self-released stuff? LMNEP, Fierce Tiger, etc?
That's a good question man.  I don't have any of those and was wondering the same.

Thought this article was fitting here.  Here's a blurb:

till, J. Roddy Walston and the Business are not aiming for the top of the singles chart. Instead, Colmus would like to see the band's trajectory follow another ATO act.

"My Morning Jacket is the ideal. They didn't have that one singular moment," Colmus, 33, said. "They just built this thing and all of a sudden it was there. And now they're everywhere."

It didn't happen overnight for My Morning Jacket, and it won't for Walston and the Business either.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bs-b-j-roddy-walston-20130910,0,7199531.story?page=2&track=rss

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 11, 2013, 11:25 PM
That's a good question man.  I don't have any of those and was wondering the same.

till, J. Roddy Walston and the Business are not aiming for the top of the singles chart. Instead, Colmus would like to see the band's trajectory follow another ATO act.

"My Morning Jacket is the ideal. They didn't have that one singular moment," Colmus, 33, said. "They just built this thing and all of a sudden it was there. And now they're everywhere."

It didn't happen overnight for My Morning Jacket, and it won't for Walston and the Business either.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bs-b-j-roddy-walston-20130910,0,7199531.story?page=2&track=rss

Nice!   That's so true.    Slow and steady wins the race!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Fully

Quote from: BH on Sep 12, 2013, 04:54 PM

I like turtles.

GO4IT

Quote from: Fully on Sep 12, 2013, 04:56 PM

I like turtles.
And I have a pet turtle.

Heading to a cabin on a lake in Maine for a week so will sadly miss J Roddy at the Rams Head in Baltimore next week but hope to catch them shortly after.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: GO4IT on Sep 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
Quote from: Fully on Sep 12, 2013, 04:56 PM

I like turtles.
And I have a pet turtle.

Heading to a cabin on a lake in Maine for a week so will sadly miss J Roddy at the Rams Head in Baltimore next week but hope to catch them shortly after.

One of these days our schedules will align Rob (GO4IT)!!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

capt. scotty

Planning on going back home to see my family in Pittsburgh next weekend for the first time since I moved. Coincidentally, J Roddy is playing in the Burgh the that Tuesday  :rolleyes:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jared

I saw them for the first time on August 24th at Summerfest. They were the highlight of the fest imo (Smith Westerns were a close 2nd) and I must say "Midnight Cry" kills live.

I also agree with the other posters here that their new album is Grade A knock your socks off rock n roll.

subinai

nyc peeps - they are doing a free show this saturday in williamsburg