J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Murray

I've been playing this album non-stop now since I got it.  I got the vinyl version of the release so I got the bonus tracks "I'm Going Out"  and "My Human Mind".  These tracks seem more like B-side gems from the self-titled album, great tunes.  I'm hoping to hear these two tracks Friday night in Bmoe.  Really looking forward to hearing a lot of the new tracks to see how they flesh out in concert.   :beer:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Jeff Murray

Heads up!!  According to J Roddy's Facebook page only 50 or so tickets remain for tonights show in Bmoe....   :beer:

headhunter

Great new album.   Cant wait to hear the new stuff live. 
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Jeff Murray

The Baltimore show was just incredible.  They were on top of their game that night.  They played a decent amount of new mixed with previous material.  I was glad to see they essentially packed Ram's Head.  My friend got a video of J Roddy's stage dive, wish I could get a copy of it as it looks like he is jumping right at her!  The best is how quickly the crowd essentially threw him back on stage and he didn't miss a beat!! 

And if The No BS Brass Band are opening I'd recommend getting in early.  They pull off a great Zeppelin cover, wasn't expecting that and worth getting in early for.

Angelo

So I could use some help. Deer Tick and J Roddy are playing the same night in Philly. I have every intention of going to one of them but I don't know which. I've never seen either band yet. I've been a DT fan for much longer than J Roddy, in fact the first time I heard JR was only a couple of months ago, but as we all know, he's the shit. I'm leaning more towards the DT show but if anyone can tell me why I should choose otherwise I'd love to hear it.

GO4IT

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Sep 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
The Baltimore show was just incredible.  They were on top of their game that night.  They played a decent amount of new mixed with previous material.  I was glad to see they essentially packed Ram's Head.  My friend got a video of J Roddy's stage dive, wish I could get a copy of it as it looks like he is jumping right at her!  The best is how quickly the crowd essentially threw him back on stage and he didn't miss a beat!! 

And if The No BS Brass Band are opening I'd recommend getting in early.  They pull off a great Zeppelin cover, wasn't expecting that and worth getting in early for.
So bummed I had to miss this show.

Upon returning home today I found my 9:30 club tix in the mail so I will definitely be there on Nov. 7.

BH

Quote from: Angelo on Sep 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
So I could use some help. Deer Tick and J Roddy are playing the same night in Philly. I have every intention of going to one of them but I don't know which. I've never seen either band yet. I've been a DT fan for much longer than J Roddy, in fact the first time I heard JR was only a couple of months ago, but as we all know, he's the shit. I'm leaning more towards the DT show but if anyone can tell me why I should choose otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Can't go wrong either way, but I seem to get a lot more chances to see DT than JR.    And you will leave JR fired UP and happy to be alive!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: BH on Sep 23, 2013, 08:20 PM

Can't go wrong either way, but I seem to get a lot more chances to see DT than JR.    And you will leave JR fired UP and happy to be alive!

Agreed...

Angelo

Quote from: BH on Sep 23, 2013, 08:20 PM

As I said in the DT thread, I'm probably going to have to go w/ DT on this one since I've yet to see them. The more I think about it I'd probably regret missing them more than JR. Thanks for chiming in though.

Ruckus

Look forward to seeing that vid.  Man what a great show!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Sep 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
I've been playing this album non-stop now since I got it.  I got the vinyl version of the release so I got the bonus tracks "I'm Going Out"  and "My Human Mind".  These tracks seem more like B-side gems from the self-titled album, great tunes.  I'm hoping to hear these two tracks Friday night in Bmoe.  Really looking forward to hearing a lot of the new tracks to see how they flesh out in concert.   :beer:

Im Going Out has been around since the Hail Mega Days. Surprised it never made an actual album. Anywhere I can find/hear My Human Mind? Can't track it down anywhere.

The iTunes bonus track I Think of You is a pretty good piano ballad as well that has a sweet Wings-ish breakdown.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Ruckus

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 26, 2013, 01:43 AM

Look forward to seeing that vid.  Man what a great show!
This homecoming show for the new album at Ram's Head was my 15th J Roddy show and it really felt like they had taken a significant leap towards rock stardom.  It was bittersweet knowing the days of Ottobar shows are likely over but man did they kill it and stoked for them.  What a great show to share with so many friends!

parkervb

just bought tickets for J Roddy for Halloween night in Richmond, VA.  Never seen them before, really excited about it. 

Not so excited for waking up the next day at 6:30am to drive to Connecticut for a wedding. 
Don't you ever turn it off

Shug

I saw them last night in Phoenix for the first time, WOW!  They were excellent, I was waay into it.  They rocked hard and they are clearly road-tested and tight.  I love their piano-led R&B rock 'n' roll sound and they sing good, too.  I'll go see them again every chance I get.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

My iPod is sort of broken. Basically, my morning commute is one Essential Tremor long, less the two slower ballad songs (which aren't bad, but just not compatible with a NJ commute). If my commute takes too long, I have to put something else on as to avoid over-exposure. But every time I turn my car back on to come home, no matter what else I change my iPod too, Heavy Bells starts.

And I don't stop it from happening.

I have to say this album is damn near perfect. It's mixed and edited perfectly. The songwriting is perfect. The background vocals, especially all the "ahhhs" add an amazing final touch. This album is everything the Queens of Leon never became. It builds upon the massive foundation the Jacket laid since ISM. The foot stomping is there, just like ISM, but so is the funky experimentation and layered rock'n'rollmanship of Circuital.

I feel like they've gone from a fun band of a bunch of guys you'd like to have a drink with to an ensemble of musicians you want to drink to.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

Now I'm hearing the chorus to Heavy Bells. All I need is a baby in a tuxedo tshirt and I'll be choding down the road.

Actually, you said it quite well. I love this album too. Maybe even more after spending the weekend road tripping with Ruckus and Co.who we all know promoted JRoddy to this board in a huge way. They took this album to another level from the last one IMO without losing what we love about them.

justbcuzido

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 16, 2013, 09:50 PM

Quote from: Osistheones on Oct 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
I didn't know they were reissuing this.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Roddy-Walston-The-Business/dp/B00F4YSESM/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2
No image, but I'm assuming it's this S/T LP.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is for sure Self Titled. That is awesome they are reissuing it!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.