J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justbcuzido

Is anyone going to see them tomorrow at Stubbs in Austin?

I am pumped!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Oct 17, 2013, 09:41 PM
Maybe even more after spending the weekend road tripping with Ruckus and Co.who we all know promoted JRoddy to this board in a huge way.
Credit must be given to Choder for first starting a thread on these guys.  I didn't start one until right after their s/t CD release party in 2010 and didn't see Chode's earlier thread.  His boy used to work for Vagrant.  And yeah, Essential tremors is awesome.  I love the versatility Roddy shows in his voice throughout and the production is excellent.  Sweat Shock recalls Michael Jacksonesque vocals and the first time I heard Hard Times, the intro loosely reminded me of Beat It into Workin on the Highway :grin:

I love Boys Don't Cry.  Great ballad if you can call it that.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 18, 2013, 01:50 AM
Maybe even more after spending the weekend road tripping with Ruckus and Co.who we all know promoted JRoddy to this board in a huge way.
Sweat Shock recalls Michael Jacksonesque vocals and the first time I heard Hard Times, the intro loosely reminded me of Beat It into Workin on the Highway :grin:

Workin on the Highway is one of my favorites, I'll have to listen out for that.

Might as well weigh in here. One of my favorite parts of this fantastic album (one again props for the production quality fitting the band like a glove), is on Same Days. This has become one of my favorites on the album but the part when he sings "true love waits but that don't make it real," absolutely kills me everytime and I don't even know why, I love bands that can do that for me!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 18, 2013, 06:48 AM
Sweat Shock recalls Michael Jacksonesque vocals and the first time I heard Hard Times, the intro loosely reminded me of Beat It into Workin on the Highway :grin:

Might as well weigh in here. One of my favorite parts of this fantastic album (one again props for the production quality fitting the band like a glove), is on Same Days. This has become one of my favorites on the album but the part when he sings "true love waits but that don't make it real," absolutely kills me everytime and I don't even know why, I love bands that can do that for me!

Same Days hit me as my new favorite this morning.

And yeah my buddy was responsible for them and ST. I was even consulted on the album cover from a copyright POV. And roddy sang my wife an I a 15 sec wedding song on a voicemail. How cool. He told me this album was too good and too perfect for him to handle.

Ruckus still gets home field advantage.

I made killer roddy shirts and will email anyone the design if they want to print their own.  Ill upload a pic when I find it
I'm surrounded by assholes

MarkW

Credit must be given to Choder for first starting a thread on these guys.  I didn't start one until right after their s/t CD release party in 2010 and didn't see Chode's earlier thread.  His boy used to work for Vagrant.  And yeah, Essential tremors is awesome.  I love the versatility Roddy shows in his voice throughout and the production is excellent.  Sweat Shock recalls Michael Jacksonesque vocals and the first time I heard Hard Times, the intro loosely reminded me of Beat It into Workin on the Highway :grin:

It's a fantastic album.  I have one problem, however, in that the first time I listened to it I was in the car and didn't look at the track listing.  Track five will now and forever be Sex Shop to me.   :undecided:
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

he.who.forgets

I must finally throw it out there and also proclaim my love for this album.  Just hands down the best effort they have ever put forth. And like others have said just an overall great sounding recording.  I am STILL yet to see these guys in the flesh!!

Fully

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 22, 2013, 06:37 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 18, 2013, 06:48 AM

Same Days hit me as my new favorite this morning.

And yeah my buddy was responsible for them and ST. I was even consulted on the album cover from a copyright POV. And roddy sang my wife an I a 15 sec wedding song on a voicemail. How cool. He told me this album was too good and too perfect for him to handle.

Ruckus still gets home field advantage.

I made killer roddy shirts and will email anyone the design if they want to print their own.  Ill upload a pic when I find it

My 15 yo daughter wasn't interested in JRoddy, but a recent road trip lured her in. Same Days is her favorite. I have to say that it becomes an ear worm. It's just so damn catchy! I

I love the early songs on the album, but there's a run of about 5 songs starting with Sweat Shock that are amazing. I feel like that sequence is where the album hits a roll, yet at the same time, I think this may just be one of those perfect albums that may be a career highlight for them.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

justbcuzido

J roddy is opening for Cage the Elephant at Emo's East in Austin Texas on Friday, December 13th. Tickets went on sale today for $30.

This is really awesome to hear, they just played a sold out Stubbs (indoor venue) a few weeks ago and already they are coming back to play a much larger venue that I guarantee will sell out.

I have felt that this is the record that would put J Roddy on the map considering they had the grammy winning producer of the Black Keys album Brothers.

Link for tickets if anyone in the Austin area wants to grab them.

http://www.emosaustin.com/101x-indie-workforce-xmas-cage-the-elephant

justbcuzido

Also,

I would love to see J Roddy open up for My Morning Jacket seeing as how they are label mates now.  :cool:

Wishful thinking?

subinai

i have 2 extras for tonight's NYC show. holler.

Ruckus

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 01, 2013, 05:49 PM
http://giddyupamerica.com/2013/11/01/investigative-journalism-j-roddy-the-business/
:grin: :grin: :grin: 
Investigative Journalism -  "I haven't listened to either one of their earlier albums, but I would bet cash money the sound is similar and they're just as good. Essential Tremors is most likely their "slightly more polished/stepping it up" album, so for all intents and purposes, it's a good place to start."

I'm glad he discovered the van before he learned that they were awesome.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Usually after three or four weeks with an album, I've worn it out. Essential Tremors is still in heavy rotation. Oh Hell! Heavy Bells! I hope they get all the recognition they deserve. They are just too good. I enjoyed the last album, but I didn't really fall in love with it, I may need to go back to it and the first one to re-explore it now that I've fallen so hard for them.

Come Closer

I've been hearing Heavy Bells on HFS the last few weeks. Kinda caught me off guard the first time it came on.

Murph

J. fucking Roddy and the Business completely and utterly murdered the Bowery Ballroom in NYC tonight.  There was probably 500 people there and 438 of us had out hands in the air, jumping up and down, rocking out the whole time.  It was the most fun concert I've been to in years.  Man oh man if these guys aren't rock stars, I don't know who is

Fully

Quote from: Murph on Nov 03, 2013, 02:20 AM
J. fucking Roddy and the Business completely and utterly murdered the Bowery Ballroom in NYC tonight.  There was probably 500 people there and 438 of us had out hands in the air, jumping up and down, rocking out the whole time.  It was the most fun concert I've been to in years.  Man oh man if these guys aren't rock stars, I don't know who is

I can feel how awesome it was just through reading your words. It sounds like the best!

subinai

Quote from: Murph on Nov 03, 2013, 02:20 AM

hahaha i just woke up and was going to post pretty much what you said. they fucking annihilated. if anybody was not moving to the songs, they were in the minority.

there was also a pretty awesome poster last night:

if j roddy opens for mmj in 2014, they are going to need bigger arenas

parkervb

saw J Roddy last week in his new adopted hometown of Richmond, VA at Strange Matter.  Place couldn't have had more than 150-175 people.  Seeing as how it was Halloween, there was definitely a real buzz going around that place.  what a show.  Like someone said, if they aren't rock stars, I don't know who is.
Don't you ever turn it off

mahg33ta

Quote from: Fully on Nov 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Oh Hell! Heavy Bells!

I do believe it's All Hail Heavy Bells, FYI.   I know this because my wife was complaining I have been playing a song 12 hours a day in front of the kids that repeats "Oh Hell" a million times.   So a little investigation work and I got it cleared by the family censor.

And yes, definitely go back and explore the other album.   That's the one I fell in love with.