J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey_rogo

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 20, 2013, 11:56 AMwhat show was this?   I went to the band's tour page and only saw 3 shows... couldn't figure out which you'd attend, and for $10?

They are playing a show in Albany on Saturday Jan 25th at the Hollow Bar. The local radio station has been advertising it and the price (for now) matches their frequency, 102.7FM. They mentioned on the radio that it isn't on the band's website. Not sure if it is part of a larger, unannounced tour or not.

edit: the show doesn't even show up on the venue's calendar, but if you click the ticketfly link you can buy tickets to it. Kind of a mystery at this point. They have definitely mentioned it more than once on air though.

Murph

Quote from: joey_rogo on Nov 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Just bought a J Roddy ticket for $10.27! Reminds me of when Dr Dog had DIRT cheap tickets... or any band that isn't hugely famous yet for that matter.

I just paid $40 for a ticket to their show at the Gramercy Theatre  :undecided:

oistheone

Well, I'm sold. These guys fucking kick ass.

Also, it's funny how much "fucking" "kick" and "ass" have been used in this thread.

Anyway, as I do every time I fall head over heels in love with a band, I'm now coming up with irrational plans to see them as soon as possible. They're rolling into town as an opener in May, but 1) I can't wait that long 2) don't wanna pay $45 to see them open for Cage the Elephant and Foals. So, naturally my next instinct is to haul my ass to Albany this weekend and see a full show for $10.

I think I just convinced myself.

wolof7

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 22, 2014, 09:08 AM
Well, I'm sold. These guys fucking kick ass.
So, naturally my next instinct is to haul my ass to Albany this weekend and see a full show for $10.

I think I just convinced myself.

You most certainly should if you have the opportunity. I caught them 2x once for $8 as a headliner and once as the sole opener for Lucero (so they had ~45 minute set). If you get any chance to see them headline a show take it!

I am with you tho I just missed them billed as 2nd openers at a local show where the headliner was Grouplove (had no interest) tix were btw 30-40 bones. After seeing them headline for so cheap it did not make much sense to catch this show but its hard to pass them up when they come through no matter what iteration the show is.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

CountSA

I downloaded their Noisetrade sampler last week, and I gotta say I'm starting to get hooked.

oistheone

Yeah I pretty much can't stop listening to these guys. Does anyone know if their show at Headliners is a one-off, or are there some other "headlining" dates in March before their jaunt with Cage the Elephant and Foals? I can't find any info on their site or Facebook page or anything.

Murph

Quote from: subinai on Jan 23, 2014, 06:02 PM
praise the lord. they announced a show before their opening slot at barclays for the RHCP.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/jroddy-walston-the-business-new-york-new-york-01-31-2014/event/00004C35F4B3E46C?brand=bbkingblues&camefrom=cfc_bbking_hlnewsletter0123

Yesss!! I was hoping they played a show before the Barclays one, but really wasnt expecting it.  This is great news.

EverythingChanges

Holy shit these guys fucking rock.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

oistheone

Paging joey_rogo -- how was the show?! Instagram and Twitter reports are overwhelmingly positive...

Mr. White

Two days ago, I picked up my ticket to see them at Headliners Music Hall in Louisville on March 20, 2014. I went ahead and drove by there to get my ticket the day they went on sale. I'll bet it sells out, since the place only holds around 700 people. It should be a kick ass show!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

joey_rogo

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 26, 2014, 03:39 PM
Paging joey_rogo -- how was the show?! Instagram and Twitter reports are overwhelmingly positive...

It was awesome! Lots of energy, as expected. Wish I could find a proper setlist. The opening band was great too. Nice little venue. Very excited to have Deer Tick coming there in March.

Mr. White

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 05, 2013, 09:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 05, 2013, 07:20 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 05, 2013, 08:30 AM

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
It looks like they're on their way back to Louisville in a few weeks (September 25, 2013) as part of WFPK's Waterfront Wednesday.

"All set times are approximate. Gates open at 5 p.m. More info is available for directions and everything else you need to enjoy WFPK Waterfront Wednesday.

J. Roddy Walston and the Business (approx. 9 p.m.)

WFPK Waterfront Wednesday is presented by 91.9 WFPK and Waterfront Development Corporation with support from Friends of the Waterfront and is FREE to all."

http://wfpk.org/2013/wfpk-waterfront-wednesday-september-25/
Do they broadcast these shows, by any chance?

I called them today during my lunch break, and they said they don't record or broadcast Waterfront Wednesdays at this point in time.
Thanks for checkin', Mr. White!  :beer:

Check out this quality recording of this 2011 show I recently found on YouTube! (70 minutes in 2 videos)

J Roddy Walston & The Business (1 of 2) 9/21/11 Louisville, KY @ Waterfront Wednesdays

J Roddy Walston & The Business (2 of 2) 9/21/11 Louisville, KY @ Waterfront Wednesdays

johnnYYac

They'll be on Conan (TBS) tomorrow night (Feb. 4)!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

This is the most magical thing I've seen all year.

http://youtu.be/b-aqQCcWEDM
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

he.who.forgets

finally, J Roddy will elude me no more.  Playing a free radio show here in Jax next Friday.  Heading out to the venue to grab my tix tonight. After 3 years of loving these guys, I'll finally get to see them in the flesh.  Just hope the free thing, doesnt attract a bunch of douchery...

GO4IT

Glad you finally get to see them he.who.  I feel spoiled living on their home turf.

And, BH, what a great video.
Make sure your listen to the end when J Roddy finally kicks in.

Mr. White

Quote from: GO4IT on Feb 27, 2014, 11:20 PM
Glad you finally get to see them he.who.  I feel spoiled living on their home turf.

And, BH, what a great video.
Make sure your listen to the end when J Roddy finally kicks in.

Hey, GO4IT!
I'm going to see them at Headliners in Louisville, on March 20th, mainly on your recommendation from when we met at Jim's solo show at the Brown Theatre last April. I am waiting to buy their albums until the show. I'll probably get the albums on vinyl if they bring them. If not, I'll buy the CD's. In the meantime, I've been checking out their stuff on their Interweb site and on YouTube. While on YouTube, I found this video from the Artie Lange Show - pretty good little interview.
Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ptrMK0m5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-I4kbqeeVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7Gm2h0bp8

MarkW

I saw them on Wednesday.  Unbelievable performance.  Enjoy!
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

johnnYYac

I was just gearing up to convince the wife I'd drive 4 hours to St. Louis on a Thursday night (the night before Jason Isbell locally) to catch JRW&TB, but I wisely checked the calendar and my oldest daughter has an Iowa City Girls Choir performance.  Dammit!  Its also the night The Head and The Heart are in town.  I love my kids and they always come first (mostly) but I can still be bummed... right?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.