J Roddy Walston and the Business

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek713

Has anyone seen a show on this joint tour with Foals and Cage the Elephant? I'm wondering about set lengths. It'll be my first J Roddy experience, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Hoping for at least half an hour, but I know that may be unlikely, unfortunately. But hell, I'm pumped either way!

I saw them in Houston last Friday. We didn't get the Foals, but we did get Bear Hands. Bear Hands opened and played about 30 minutes, then J Roddy played about the same......8-10 songs. J Roddy was great as always, but I really wish they were the headliners. I was familiar with Cage The Elephant, but I had never seen them live before. Their set really blew me away. They are a band that is way better live and I would see them again given the chance.

We actually rode the elevator up with J Roddy to the venue and talked to him for a minute. It was pretty funny that he asked my wife and I "Are y'all from.....(long pause).....Houston?" Oh the life on the road.....not even knowing where you are every day. He seems like a pretty nice guy, and I can only imagine that they will get bigger. Hopefully they will get invited to OBH 2015!!  :drum:

mahg33ta

that show is coming to Boston this weekend.   I decided to skip because I figured J Roddy wasn't get enough time to get me sufficiently fired up and I didn't know too much about the others.   But, in the past month or so I've been listening to a lot of Foals and CtE in anticipation of Shaky Knees, and have come to be really looking forward to their performances.   Makes me think I shouldn't be missing this show you are referring to and it's a pretty impressive triple bill.

capt. scotty

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 30, 2014, 08:37 AM
Has anyone seen a show on this joint tour with Foals and Cage the Elephant? I'm wondering about set lengths. It'll be my first J Roddy experience, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Hoping for at least half an hour, but I know that may be unlikely, unfortunately. But hell, I'm pumped either way!

Goin tomorrow, will report back. The venue site basically says JRoddy for 30 mins, and then Foals and CTElephant for about 80min each
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

APR

Foals for 80 minutes is solid!  Do report back scotty. 

And magh33ta, you could always go Sunday night and bail early (I'm not really into Cage so don't think you'll miss that much).  After seeing Foals kill it for just 60 minutes at SK, you might regret missing one of their regular/small club shows. 

I'm seeing this lineup tomorrow at MPP with an additional five other bands as part of a radio station festival.  I'm just going to see J Rod for my first time and to see Foals (and will leave early). 

Lastly, about J Rod.... anyone else watch the HBO's Silicon Valley and note the J Roddy poster in the main character's bedroom?

parkervb

Quote from: APR on May 02, 2014, 01:38 PM
Foals for 80 minutes is solid!  Do report back scotty. 

And magh33ta, you could always go Sunday night and bail early (I'm not really into Cage so don't think you'll miss that much).  After seeing Foals kill it for just 60 minutes at SK, you might regret missing one of their regular/small club shows. 

I'm seeing this lineup tomorrow at MPP with an additional five other bands as part of a radio station festival.  I'm just going to see J Rod for my first time and to see Foals (and will leave early). 

Lastly, about J Rod.... anyone else watch the HBO's Silicon Valley and note the J Roddy poster in the main character's bedroom?

yea, i did see that. Cool show too.
Don't you ever turn it off

Mr. White

I don't think this interview has been posted here yet. This is The Weekly Feed from Louisville's WFPK with host Kyle Meredith, first published on YouTube on April 24, 2014.

http://youtu.be/iouQAi0ZGyc
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 01, 2014, 11:02 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Apr 30, 2014, 08:37 AM

Goin tomorrow, will report back. The venue site basically says JRoddy for 30 mins, and then Foals and CTElephant for about 80min each

How did this show turn out??

APR

J Rod and the Business exceeded my expectations.  A 30 minute set wasn't enough but  a lot of fun and better than nothing.  I hope to see them at one of their own shows in the near future.  They tried to get the sparse, early afternoon MPP crowd to sing along.  The pit wasn't close to half full.  After not getting much response, they didn't throw in the towel.  They hung in there with the crowd and by the end much of the crowd was way into it.  I am now a fan.

(Foals were phenomenal as usual and extended a few of their outros with a little longer, rocking jams).

oistheone

FINALLY saw these guys the other night, and man, I was NOT disappointed. They went on just after 7PM, a challenge for any act, but the Business were up for the challenge and by the end of their all-too-short set, they had the crowd singing along with their hands in the air. I expected these guys to be good but not nearly as polished and awesome as they actually were! Their tone is just unreal -- don't think I've ever heard such awesome volume and crunchy guitar sounds from an opener.

The only played seven songs but were the undisputed highlight of the night. Can't wait to see these guys when I catch a FULL show. Also, they are going to ABSOLUTELY MURDER their Bonnaroo timeslot. Wish I could go this year!!

manonthemoon

I see these guys are doing a date at the Flying Dog brewery like Deer tick did last year.  Should be a good time.
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

So who's going to be at the Flying Dog Brewery tomorrow to see J Roddy?
APR, Manonthemoon and the Ms. and Ms. GO4IT and I will be there. Anyone else?
Last time I saw them was from the front row at the NFF with Jack White watching.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: oistheone on May 14, 2014, 04:29 PM
FINALLY saw these guys the other night, and man, I was NOT disappointed. They went on just after 7PM, a challenge for any act, but the Business were up for the challenge and by the end of their all-too-short set, they had the crowd singing along with their hands in the air. I expected these guys to be good but not nearly as polished and awesome as they actually were! Their tone is just unreal -- don't think I've ever heard such awesome volume and crunchy guitar sounds from an opener.

The only played seven songs but were the undisputed highlight of the night. Can't wait to see these guys when I catch a FULL show. Also, they are going to ABSOLUTELY MURDER their Bonnaroo timeslot. Wish I could go this year!!

Totally agree.  Last night I popped my cherry with J Roddy and MAN, it was fucking FANTASTIC!!!  :cheesy:

They only played for an hour and a half which FLEW by and made me wanting for more, but with the energy he puts out in that hour and a half, I don't think he could go on for much more than that without collapsing! 

The crowd was totally amped from their opener and you could just see that the guys were totally feeding off of that awesomeness.  At one point J Roddy said this was their 16th time playing in Columbus with the first time being in front of about 60 people and he was just blown away by the crowd and the atmosphere at the Newport last night!

That was my first time seeing them and it certainly won't be my last!!!  :thumbsup:  :beer: 

GO4IT

I forgot to post here my videos from J Roddy at the NFF.  Billy Gordon impresses me more with each show I see.

J Roddy Walston and the Business - Don't Break the Needle - Newport Folk Festival - July 26, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6Ips1pjRM&list=UUO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg

Jack White hung out to the right side of the stage the last half of their show and then came right in front of me near the end to take a Polaroid shot of the band and toss it on stage.

iLikeBeer

Anyone see the Coors Light commercial featuring Sweat Shock?  I was watching the Cowboys game last night when I saw it for the first time...

It's cool to see J Roddy getting some exposure but I wish it was for something other than the watered down piss that is Coors Light...  :tongue:

wolof7

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 29, 2014, 01:31 PM
Anyone see the Coors Light commercial featuring Sweat Shock?  I was watching the Cowboys game last night when I saw it for the first time...

It's cool to see J Roddy getting some exposure but I wish it was for something other than the watered down piss that is Coors Light...  :tongue:

Oh I remember when a little up and coming band I loved used a song of theirs in a Coors commercial. I remember thinking, I wish it was Busch  :wink: :beer:

The name of the song was "Rahgeeter" i believe, the band: Your Evening Pantyhose
http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=2474.0
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

manonthemoon

Baltimore NYE Show, think this is a must go
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 30, 2014, 09:21 PM

Yeah, just saw this.  Very tempting!

mahg33ta

Quote from: GO4IT on Oct 02, 2014, 08:54 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 30, 2014, 09:21 PM

Yeah, just saw this.  Very tempting!

there's a decent chance mrs mahg33ta and I are at this!

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

GO4IT

So what is the roll call looking like for the J Roddy show on NYE?
Ms GO4IT keeps asking me if I got the tickets yet.