Conor Oberst, Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band etc.

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jan 05, 2011, 05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Couldn't seem to find the old thread, but then again, I'm not really forum savvy... ;) So a new thread, for the love of Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band, Desaparecidos and pretty much all music by Conor Oberst. :)

Shell Games! I love it, bring it on Bright Eyes, bring it on! Pre-ordered the album + some more stuff... can't wait! Now all I need is more tour dates in Europe. Recent quote about the album:

QuoteThe album is about humanity. That's sort of the crux of that matter — we're all human beings and these imaginary lines and borders are really silly when you think about work and families and the need for people to survive and carry on with their lives. It seems so basic to me. It's not new, but this new wave of xenophobic, barbaric nationalism is totally scary and something that needs to be stopped in its tracks immediately. This is the opposite of what I was told America was all about.

Completely agree with Mr. Oberst, also very excited to hear the rest of the album based on this:

QuoteI wanted to make a record that was modern-sounding and steer clear of some of my tendencies, melodically. We're over the Americana, rootsy, whatever that sound is. People say country, but I never thought were very country at all. But whatever that element is or that aesthetic is, I guess it's worn a little thin for me these days. So we very much wanted it to be rocking and, for lack of a better term, contemporary, or modern.

And just because it relates to the boards interest (ish):
M. Ward and Jim are like two of the people I admire most in the musical world, so to get a ringside seat to see them in action making a record (...) and the way they approach arranging and recording was just, it was really fantastic and I think I am better because of it. I learned things I can take with me onto new records.

Woop, woop!  :)

And while we're at it, this one is a bit old, but just beautiful:

*all quotes by Conor Oberst, december 2010 ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

e_wind

does anyone know what ticket prices are looking like for the tour? I don't wanna spend too much cause i'm saving money but would like to see conor do his thing one time
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

capt. scotty

yeah, heard shell games a week or 2 ago. solid. those keys are nasty.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 05, 2011, 02:51 PM
does anyone know what ticket prices are looking like for the tour? I don't wanna spend too much cause i'm saving money but would like to see conor do his thing one time

I got pre sale radio city tix and they were $25, bit I'm pretty sure the regular prices are 50ish. First time I saw bright eyes the tickets were 8 bucks. Those were the days.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: BH on Jan 05, 2011, 10:39 AM
Well done SBB!

Thanks Mr. BH, btw what does BH stand for, Bermuda Highway or something completely different?  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 05, 2011, 04:26 PM
yeah, heard shell games a week or 2 ago. solid. those keys are nasty.

I know! Good stuff! One For You, One For Me and A Machine Spiritual (The People's Key) were briefly on YouTube after being played on a radioshow, but Saddle Creek requested that they'd be taken down. I suppose you could still find them if you really wanted to though, but I'm trying to save it all for the release day. I admit I did listen to them once or twice while they were still up though...  ;) One For You, One For Me was instant love for me, love the lyrics (if you wanna sneak a peak they can be found here: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858855444/) Found a very interesting comment there as well:

QuoteThe titles of the tracks on the album all seem to reflect upon varying beliefs - Rastafarian (Haile Selassie), Wicca (Triple Spiral), Buddhism (Beginner's Mind), Judaism/Christianity (Ladder Song - "Jacob's Ladder" possibly?), and then a world where machines are equal to/rule/save humankind (A Machine Spiritual). Without knowing any of the lyrics as of yet to any of these songs, I'd guess that maybe different beliefs are being divvied up here with 'one for me, one for you'.

The music kind of reminded me of Digital Ash if anything and I really loved Digital Ash to bits, so that fits me perfectly. I don't suppose the drums are very much like Gold Mine Gutted, but that's what it reminds me of, to me it kind of had a similar feel (if I remember correctly).

People's Key lyrics here: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858855346/ and love that one as well, don't know what it reminds me of, but I think on all three tracks Conor seems to use his voice in a different way, I can't really describe it well enough in English, probably not even in Swedish, but it's cool, some more evolution  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Jan 05, 2011, 05:48 PM

I got pre sale radio city tix and they were $25, bit I'm pretty sure the regular prices are 50ish. First time I saw bright eyes the tickets were 8 bucks. Those were the days.

I have no idea, but I suppose you could check the current prizes on the show that are available now: http://www.conoroberst.com/?page_id=22

And 8 bucks sounds crazy, when was that?

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 06, 2011, 07:19 AM

I have no idea, but I suppose you could check the current prizes on the show that are available now: http://www.conoroberst.com/?page_id=22

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Penny Lane

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 06, 2011, 06:53 AM
Well done SBB!

Thanks Mr. BH, btw what does BH stand for, Bermuda Highway or something completely different?  :)

Boss Hog
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 06, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well done SBB!

Boss Hog

Enos You Idiot!  Ha!  Roscoe P. Coltrane is the man.

Sara, I used to be Bermuda Hitchhiker when I first joined.  Bermuda HWY was my favorite song at the time.   I wanted to catch a ride and follow my "silly dreams" or something like that.  (Voice in head - "How'd that work out for you, Dave?") Everyone started abbreviating it to BH so I just changed it.   Maybe I'll go back for awhile for old time's sake....
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Jan 06, 2011, 07:53 AM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 06, 2011, 07:19 AM

Oh I see, I wish I would have know about them then, I got a great taping from a 2001 gig in Sweden, but it took a few years more for me  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: BH on Jan 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 06, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well done SBB!

Boss Hog

Enos You Idiot!  Ha!  Roscoe P. Coltrane is the man.

Sara, I used to be Bermuda Hitchhiker when I first joined.  Bermuda HWY was my favorite song at the time.   I wanted to catch a ride and follow my "silly dreams" or something like that.  (Voice in head - "How'd that work out for you, Dave?") Everyone started abbreviating it to BH so I just changed it.   Maybe I'll go back for awhile for old time's sake....

Oooh, I quite like Bermuda Hitchhiker, it's a really good name :) BH works too ofc, but it means bra in Swedish, so it's a bit funny to me  ;)

BH

What a coincidence!   Bra salesman was my silly dream! 

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: BH on Jan 06, 2011, 03:08 PM
What a coincidence!   Bra salesman was my silly dream!

Hahaha, oh yeah, it all makes sense now! I fully support this dream of yours, bra in Swedish means good, I think that might be another sign this is really what you should be doing!  ;)

bearass

SaraBananaBear

Woop, got some Stockholm tickets to go along with the London tickets, weeee! :D So excited to hear the rest of the album, woohoo! I wonder if there'll be some more Europe dates along with the London show in June...  ???

hacksaw

hacksaw

SaraBananaBear

Too bad it leaked, I think I'll wait until February 1st anyways, soooo looking forward to hearing it though  :D