Conor Oberst, Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band etc.

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jan 05, 2011, 05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: HighlySuspicious on Feb 02, 2011, 01:47 PM
I ran into the same problem when trying to download the album yesterday.  >:( I spent the morning trying to do it over and over, but to no avail.  However, when I got back that night, Saddle Creek sent me an email saying that the earlier problems were fixed, and within a few minutes, it was in my iTunes!  YES.  Listening to it right now and loving it more than I thought I would!  :)

Yeah so happy they solved it, SC really handled it well, always so nice. I've pretty much been listening since, loving it to no end. Lights a fire in your heart it does, goooo Bright Eyes. And how hilarious is this one:
;D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

scosby2

Absolutely love the new record. Can't wait to see them at the Tabernacle in the ATL in march for about the 8th time

mahg33ta

my 2 cents after listening through the album is that it's definitely quality.   Lots to get your arms around for sure.   But for sure I like it.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 05, 2011, 06:55 AM
Absolutely love the new record. Can't wait to see them at the Tabernacle in the ATL in march for about the 8th time

Same here, absolutely love the new record and I'll be seeing them on the 16th in Stockholm, woop woop! :D

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 05, 2011, 07:40 AM
my 2 cents after listening through the album is that it's definitely quality.   Lots to get your arms around for sure.   But for sure I like it.

Any favorite songs? Maybe all of them? ;) :D

scosby2

i really like all of them so far but approximate sunlight is one i have been listening to a lot lately...the ladder song is great too

e_wind

just pre ordered the album. now i play the waiting game. i wonder if i'll immediately get the digi dl?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

scosby2

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
just pre ordered the album. now i play the waiting game. i wonder if i'll immediately get the digi dl?

you should get it soon.

if you don't just send them an e-mail. i hadn't received my digital download on the 1st by like 6 that night so i sent them one and within ten minutes I had my songs downloaded. real good customer service. they even took the time in the e-mail to explain what had been going on all day and why it had taken so long to get me the e-mail.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 06, 2011, 06:35 PM
i really like all of them so far but approximate sunlight is one i have been listening to a lot lately...the ladder song is great too

They're all so good, but Ladder Song is just insanely good and when I read this in an interview it somehow got another dimension to it:
QuoteLast fall, the singer's Omaha community lost an old friend to suicide. Stricken, he wrote the "Ladder Song" in two days. He recorded the track with his own outdated keyboard, passing over the studio's grand piano to preserve the feeling of his first takes at home. Amidst the dreamy imagery and alien references elsewhere on the album, the spare, melancholy song provided a human touch. "It seemed like the missing piece," he said, "but I didn't know there was a piece missing."

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 06, 2011, 10:37 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Feb 06, 2011, 08:52 PM

you should get it soon.

if you don't just send them an e-mail. i hadn't received my digital download on the 1st by like 6 that night so i sent them one and within ten minutes I had my songs downloaded. real good customer service. they even took the time in the e-mail to explain what had been going on all day and why it had taken so long to get me the e-mail.

Yup, excellent customer service indeed and the idea of getting digital downloads straight away is just brilliant. :)

e_wind

Listening for the first time right now, and like it a lot so far. Only beef I have is the intro. I'm not gonna wanna listen to that 2 minute intro every time I spin this one.

Ruckus

Upon 1st listen, I really like the album and as Mahg33ta said, there is a lot to it I think.  Two things kinda bothered me about it though.  First was the extended spoken word intro in Firewall.  I just wish it was a separate track.  Secondly, while there is no basis to this other than my own bias, I don't really care for Conor writing a tune named Haille Selassie.  Those were the only two initial beefs I had with this album.  Otherwise, I enjoyed every tune a bunch.  Hopefully I'll be able to give it another spin or two this afternoon. :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
Listening for the first time right now, and like it a lot so far. Only beef I have is the intro. I'm not gonna wanna listen to that 2 minute intro every time I spin this one.

Yeah, those intros... it's better than the Cassadaga intro at least, I've only just recently gotten used to that one and the Clairaudients track is so good, it's been annoying having to skip it. Anyways, keep us updated on what you think of the album once you've listened to it some more!  :)

mahg33ta

All of the intros on his albums are annoying.   I am not the most technically proficient but they drove me how to figure out how to set the start time for a song manually in itunes.   Now when I play "at the bottom of everything" it skips the whole beginning and starts at the "1, 2 ..... 1, 2, 3, 4".   The knowledge how to do that came in handy for Cassadaga and will help again here.

Haven't really had a chance to listen again but will report back w some favorites after a bit more time to soak in.

Agree that the immediate digital download is fantastic, especially when the band is touring soon.   Gives me a few more weeks to learn the stuff.   (take note Middle Brother:  album 3/1, show 3/3)

e_wind

Just finished my first listen. Good stuff. I'm in a library right now studying for a spanish exam, but this had me distracted. So now I'll go bomb this test in 20 minutes.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 07, 2011, 12:04 PM
Upon 1st listen, I really like the album and as Mahg33ta said, there is a lot to it I think.  Two things that bothered me was the extended spoken word intro in Firewall.  I just wish it was a separate track.  Also, while there is no basis to this other than my own bias, I don't really care for Conor writing a tune named Haille Selassie.  Those were the only two initial beefs I had with this album.  Otherwise, I enjoyed every tune a bunch.  Hopefully I'll be able to give it another spin or two this afternoon. :)

It's an excellent track though! I've seen, I've seen, I've seen strangers things man!   ;) Keep us updated on what you think after a few more spins!  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 07, 2011, 12:35 PM
All of the intros on his albums are annoying.   I am not the most technically proficient but they drove me how to figure out how to set the start time for a song manually in itunes.   Now when I play "at the bottom of everything" it skips the whole beginning and starts at the "1, 2 ..... 1, 2, 3, 4".   The knowledge how to do that came in handy for Cassadaga and will help again here.

Haven't really had a chance to listen again but will report back w some favorites after a bit more time to soak in.

Agree that the immediate digital download is fantastic, especially when the band is touring soon.   Gives me a few more weeks to learn the stuff.   (take note Middle Brother:  album 3/1, show 3/3)

Oh but At the bottom of everything is the most pleasant one!  ;) Pretty handy with the start time thingy though, I'm not a fan of Itunes, but will see if it works with some other program... probably not with Spotify that's my number one music program, I'll probably just have to endure. And please report back after the soak, looking forward to hearing more opinions!  :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 07, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just finished my first listen. Good stuff. I'm in a library right now studying for a spanish exam, but this had me distracted. So now I'll go bomb this test in 20 minutes.

Best of luck! Too bad Conor didn't include some Spanish on this one like on the MVB ones...  ;)

e_wind

I'm also listening to One Jug of Wine, Two Vessels right now... the not-bright eyes songs are really good.