Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Methinks the other thread I begat didn't quite make it to the new board.... but I just wanted to share that I&W will be on Jimmy Fallon tonight in 10-15 mins or sooo.... la-de-daaa..... *waits*
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

The word "begat" just sounded right at the time, but I'm unsure that it actually is...

anyyy minute nowww.....

woodnymph

Intense doo-woppage there..... he could lose the doowoppers and I'd be ok with it... but "Half Moon" is one of my favorite songs off the new album thus far. Love the acoustic solo version I heard of it though....................

ALady

I need to give that NPR stream a listen...
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

twofingers

Quote from: ALady on Jan 07, 2011, 01:57 AM
I need to give that NPR stream a listen...

Download it here - http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2011/01/iron-wine-2011-01-05-greene-space-wnyc.html

I like the direction Sam seems to be taking Iron & Wine. He experiments with some cool sounds and beats on a lot of the new material and the reworking of older tunes to fit their new sound is pretty alright.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

woodnymph

I do agreeeee... Something like a continuation from "Arms of a Thief" and "Serpent Charmer," with various elements that he used on Songs of the Shepherd's Dog. His sister Sarah always brought a great element to his shows, but Rosie Thomas has a great voice too and does a lovely job alongside Sam  :)

woodnymph

Wow the Greene Space Monkeys Uptown has me seat-groovin somethin fierce

SOLID

woodnymph

Whoa whoa whoa hold the phone here. I heard a Jerry reference!!! I had to find the video to see what that was all about, impossible to tell just with the audio... 54:52 after he introduces Rosie and is about to introduce "Benny Mozzarella," a long-haired spectacle-wearing gentleman... on bongos (/percussion) :-X :-X HELL YEAH hahah he says "You guys thought Jerry was dead!" And some girl gives her love with a yelp, and a guy says "He's been hidin' out!" Then Sam goes on to say he's been working with him all along.  :-*  :-*  Jerry love

For any interested parties, video viewing can be seen hea:
Sammy all suited up :P
http://www.wnyc.org/thegreenespace/events/2011/jan/05/iron-and-wine/

TheBigChicken

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 08, 2011, 12:46 AM
Whoa whoa whoa hold the phone here. I heard a Jerry reference!!! I had to find the video to see what that was all about, impossible to tell just with the audio... 54:52 after he introduces Rosie and is about to introduce "Benny Mozzarella," a long-haired spectacle-wearing gentleman... on bongos (/percussion) :-X :-X HELL YEAH hahah he says "You guys thought Jerry was dead!" And some girl gives her love with a yelp, and a guy says "He's been hidin' out!" Then Sam goes on to say he's been working with him all along.  :-*  :-*  Jerry love

wow fucking wow...thanks woodnymph....i think i love you
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jan 08, 2011, 10:00 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 08, 2011, 12:46 AM

wow fucking wow...thanks woodnymph....i think i love you
Back to back, Chicken shack!  :P  Son of a gun, glad you caught the act!! I was gonna cry if that got lost on the board!!! Just couldn't believe when that slipped in. Thank god for the video too! Talk about Uncle Sam  :P  Thanks for checkin that out, I think I love you more for sharing the sheer awe

ALady

^ Now THAT is the best emoticon ever! 
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

Awww thanks I have to agree!!  ;D ;D

Anyone have a listen to their album released on Record Store Day? Live in Norfolk 6/20/05 during their Woman King tour

It's blowing my mind....

There's this fantastic upbeat danceable version of "Bird Stealing Bread" that makes me feel a.) like I'm on a beach with a perfect warm breeze and b.) like the song was always meant to sound that way, but highly grateful to appreciate the contrast between the two versions

Even my one friend that's kept his distance from I&W really enjoyed that version just now when I sent it. It's full-band style, with Sarah sounding clearer and sweeter than ever...

1. Sunset Soon Forgotten
2. Jezebel
3. Woman King
4. Free Until They Cut Me Down
5. Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song)
6. Love and Some Verses
7. Bird Stealing Bread
8. The Night Descending
9. Naked as We Came
10. Communion Cups and Someone's Coat
11. Fever Dream
12. On Your Wings
13. Freedom Hangs Like Heaven
14. Upward Over The Mountain
15. Teeth in the Grass
16. Southern Anthem
17. My Lady's House
18. The Trapeze Swinger

A live "Southern Anthem" is a sweet treat too, along with all the Woman King gems....

!!!Highly recommend!!!!  :o

woodnymph

TheBigChicken

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 10, 2011, 01:23 AM
FOUND IT:

http://www.itemvn.com/song/Iron-and-Wine-Bird-Stealing-Bread-Norfolk-Live/52308
[/q :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*wow...im gushinguote]

twofingers

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 07, 2011, 11:26 PM

SOLID

I listened to that song on repeat a lot this weekend. Serious groove.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jan 10, 2011, 05:48 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 10, 2011, 01:23 AM
FOUND IT:

http://www.itemvn.com/song/Iron-and-Wine-Bird-Stealing-Bread-Norfolk-Live/52308
[/q :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*wow...im gushinguote]

Been listening to it all day.... makes ma heart overfloww  ;D Perfect tambourinage, percussions....pedal/lap steel....... and at 2:20 when they break it down and his voice crackles ever-so-slightly... then when it picks back up again (2:50) where the drums kick back in perfectly timed with his voice............. just puts me over the topppp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: twofingers on Jan 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 07, 2011, 11:26 PM

SOLID

I listened to that song on repeat a lot this weekend. Serious groove.
Looking back, I read it as "space monkeys uptown" hahahahh whoooppss....  But it's super groove-heavy. Really makes me wanna run back to NYC the 29th to catch him (and Jeff and Trish, if she makes it!!!)

I'm really hoping, now that he's showing so much more of this musical side of himself, that he'll pull up a live Serpent Charmer and/or Arms of a Thief and/or Dark Eyes, etc... some of his deeper tunes.  Dust 'em off an' bring 'em out... Or re-work some of the older songs to the "newer sound".... music is so often about subtleties, and any little detail he changes just puts me on another planet. On that Norfolk album, he does "Love and Some Verses" in a new chilling octave. Whereas, when I saw him in Buffalo a few years ago, he made it super dance-tastic!

That's one of the elements I've always been in love with about the Grateful Dead. I wasn't old enough to tour with them in the day, but the point being you COULD go to a Dead show every single night and even if a song were repeated, it would become a whole new masterpiece all of its own will. The keeping of the lyrics, but total change of sound... something like that. Not an exact comparison for obvious reasons, but ya know....

***Still not sure if I'm catchin them in NYC yet!!!

TheBigChicken

cannot freaking wait for this album. The 25th can't come soon enough ;D

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jan 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
cannot freaking wait for this album. The 25th can't come soon enough ;D
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/11/132832151/sneak-previews-telekinesis-r-e-m-iron-and-wine-more

^^^A lil' Half Moon album version preview!

Also a couple other new tracks on the myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/ironandwine

Last but not least, a site that offers some longer previews than amazon:
http://www.7digital.com/artists/iron-and-wine/kiss-each-other-clean/
diggin' Rabbit Will Run!

And my own crazy fantasy to purchase one of these someday  :-X

That's actually on ebay! (and it's actually from PA, yikes! That doesn't help!)  :-X

woodnymph

Hey I'm laggin' on postin' this, but Sam finally made it up on daytrotter.... check out the 4-song mini show with Rosie Thomas  :)

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/iron-and-wine-concert/20054486-53261.html

And for those on facebook, they made the daytrotter video available for download (for a limited time)

Rosie is friggin cute as a punkin  :-*

headhunter

is this the same rosie thomas who sings "say hello" and "it don't matter to the sun"? and has a seperate solo career?
was some shakin' and some record playin'