Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Yoooou betcha! She's hopped on the I&W ship and has been touring with Sam lately tooooo  :-D I'm not sure why his sister Sarah isn't involved atm, but Rosie does a fine fine job  :)

And Jeff, do you have the recording of Rosie's song "Red Rover?" I never really explored her catalogue, but Sam does guest vocals on that song (or at least this random version of it that I have!) Sounds pretty-like  :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

headhunter

don't know that one but have liked her stuff that i've heard.

i really enjoyed the live sam show the other day and thought the new stuff was great. ending with naked as we came was awesome as that's one of my favorite songs on what is clearly my favorite I&W album.

Have seen him a few times and hope to catch the show at Radio City although my wife doesn't really love him (she fell asleep at the last show we saw together  :o )
was some shakin' and some record playin'

wolof7

The new album is streaming here:

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44383353#luisterpaal.44383353

It's much clearer than the first impression I got from the NPR concert which to me sounded like the band was trying to find their footing with playing these songs live. It's much better than I expected, should have never doubted Mr. Beam & Co. they have never let me down.

This site also has the new Cold War Kids, decent band, didn't even know they had a new one coming out
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
The new album is streaming here:

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44383353#luisterpaal.44383353

It's much clearer than the first impression I got from the NPR concert which to me sounded like the band was trying to find their footing with playing these songs live. It's much better than I expected, should have never doubted Mr. Beam & Co. they have never let me down.

This site also has the new Cold War Kids, decent band, didn't even know they had a new one coming out

GOOD FIND! I was wondering where all the people on their board were getting all these reviews and opinions from.... I had small hesitations at first, but my faith has already been redeemed from hearing that NPR stream and the few songs they've posted on their myspace 8) Thanks so much for posting that link!!

woodnymph

LADIES AND GENTS MAY I PRESENT TO YOUUUU........ LE SPRING DATES!!!

04 March . Chicago, IL . Riveria Theater

14 April .  Detroit, MI . Royal Oak Music Theatre

15 April . Buffalo, NY . The Town Ballroom

16 April . North Adams, MA . Mass MoCA

17 April .  Burlington, VT . Higer Ground

18 April .  Portland, ME . State Theatre

19 April . Boston, MA . House of Blues

21 April . Philadelphia, PA . Electric Factory

22 April .  Washington, D.C. . 9:30 Club

23 April .  Savannah, GA . Trustees Theater

25 April . Athens, GA .  40 Watt Club

26 April . Charlotte, NC . Amos' Southend

27 April . Richmond, VA . The National

28 April . Pittsburgh, PA . Carnegie Music Hall

29 April . Cleveland, OH . House of Blues

darkglow

Rabbit Will Run!!!!!!!

If I knew how to make the font bigger, I would have.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 18, 2011, 04:35 PM
LADIES AND GENTS MAY I PRESENT TO YOUUUU........ LE SPRING DATES!!!

04 March . Chicago, IL . Riveria Theater

14 April .  Detroit, MI . Royal Oak Music Theatre

15 April . Buffalo, NY . The Town Ballroom

16 April . North Adams, MA . Mass MoCA

17 April .  Burlington, VT . Higer Ground

18 April .  Portland, ME . State Theatre

19 April . Boston, MA . House of Blues

21 April . Philadelphia, PA . Electric Factory

22 April .  Washington, D.C. . 9:30 Club

23 April .  Savannah, GA . Trustees Theater

25 April . Athens, GA .  40 Watt Club

26 April . Charlotte, NC . Amos' Southend

27 April . Richmond, VA . The National

28 April . Pittsburgh, PA . Carnegie Music Hall

29 April . Cleveland, OH . House of Blues

Thanks for the heads up on that! I looked it up and its the music hall by the waterfront, not the one in Oakland, in case your wondering. Might have to get tickets (a ticket?) soon for a good seat.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

TheBigChicken

I am SO at the freaking 40 Watt :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ALady

Wow, the Riv is big.  Last time I saw ol' dude here it was in a 190 capacity place.   :-\
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

Truth, I thought it might be the one in Homestead, there's been mucho shows there the past few years, thanks for confirming!!  I'ms be livin in NC during all this jazzy jazz, but I have the bug where I still don't wanna miss a hometown show!!

The friend I'll be livin' with in NC loves I&W and is gonna try to hit those more southern shows with me if he can!  If he can't, I'm still goin!!!

TBC, the 40 Watt will be one of the closer venues to Asheville!! I'm definitely gonna be therrreeee!!!! And I wanna catch 'em in Charlotte, only 2 hours away or so.... Richmond is a maybe, but I wanna catch 'em in Pitt tooooo000ooo00o! Ahhhhhh! I need a private jet to carry me to all the MMJ shows and I&W shows this spring  :o :o :o

woodnymph

Quote from: ALady on Jan 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
Wow, the Riv is big.  Last time I saw ol' dude here it was in a 190 capacity place.   :-\

Eeeee.... that's curious, I wonder what the turn-out will be like! I saw him in Buffalo once, but I think it was at least a 400-500 capacity (tho I really don't recall), then I saw him at the Philly Folk Fest, which of course is quite large.... wonder what to expect at the Riviera!  ???

bold992006

The Low Anthem is opening...they are great.  Saw Jocie Adams sit in with a local band last night.  They were just on Letterman last week.

wolof7

Quote from: bold992006 on Jan 19, 2011, 03:27 PM
The Low Anthem is opening...they are great.  Saw Jocie Adams sit in with a local band last night.  They were just on Letterman last week.

:thumbsup:

check it: http://mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=13783.0

wolof7

woodnymph

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
Boom....Enjoy:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/21/133059550/iron-and-wine-tiny-desk-concert
Ohhhh beatin me to tha punchhhhh  ;D

This thing took foreeeeever for them to finally post! (or for it to happen, I forget what the case was here.....) GLAD IT'S UP!!

wolof7

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
Boom....Enjoy:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/21/133059550/iron-and-wine-tiny-desk-concert
Ohhhh beatin me to tha punchhhhh  ;D

This thing took foreeeeever for them to finally post! (or for it to happen, I forget what the case was here.....) GLAD IT'S UP!!

Tree By the River is such a great song!

woodnymph

Question: On the Tiny Desk show, does the guy in the audience request "Chelsea Hotel" ?  I put the volume all the way up and couldn't hear it, then unplugged my laptop and put the earbuds in all the way up and couldn't hear it, then pressed my hands as hard against my ears as I could with the earbuds in and thought he said "Chelsea Hotel"... but any enlightenment would be much appreciated!  ???

woodnymph

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 21, 2011, 08:30 PMTree By the River is such a great song!

I second that emotion!

woodnymph

HEY. Serious. Steam Engine blog..... Iron & Wine @ Bonnaroo '08. Maybe some of yinz were there.... maybe some of yunz already saw this on his blog!! But it needs be shared in the thread:

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2008/09/iron-wine-bonnaroo-2008.html

Definitely reggae themed.  Definitely love the reggae twist!! (thanks for posting this up, Jason! Being a hunormous fan of reggae, this does something extra magickal to the senses) (ie fuses are blown) //////*&*^%^$\\\\||||////  :o :D :D

He made House by the Sea suuuuuuper reggae-fied when I saw him with band in '08, and they actually had to call in the paramedics, but my spontaneous combustion could not be resolved. They did manage to gather some of my remains in various test tubes and beakers... which I think explains a few things.  :-X  The thought had never once crossed my mind that he was even interested in that form of music. Kind of like when I first heard the Easy Star All-Stars re-work Pink Floyd and Radiohead into reggae. Huh?  ???

woodnymph

Just tried to watch the guys on Conan just now... goddamn televisions are more trouble than they're even worth. Have no idea what channel Conan would even be on, the "Search" option sends me on an impossible mission into Hi-Def On-Demand Hi-Fi Wi-Fi Stereophonic B.S... then when I finally find it, they're already more than halfway through the song.... So it's at least half my own fault for not ever bonding with that space-age new-wave big-screen hunk of metal, but sheesh.  I'm sure it'll be video-fied and available online at some point or another, I think they always are.... but I just kind of needed to vent on my tv aversion for a moment, sorry gang  >:(

Late Edit:  Mi madre just texted me from across the house to say that, by some strange act of jeebiss, Iron & Wine somehow replayed at 1am AND the DVR taped it right from the beginning. So when I said "hunk of metal....." I, uh... I just meant what a hunk!   ;)  :-*

P.S. unable to afford the show in NYC on the 29th, but I look forward to hearing about it from all who go!!

P.P.S.  NEW ALBUM OUT TOMORROW/TODAY!!!! :o :o :o