Main Menu

Iron & Wine

Started by woodnymph, Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

"Lean Into the Light"

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig  :-*

And "Black Candle" has been a personal fave-o-reet for at least a year now... first heard it on Played Last Night.com (which, btw, self-combusted  :'()
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

twofingers

I've got their Amoeba records set from yesterday up -

http://goo.gl/5YAxJ

and I'm going to get that Tiny Desk Concert up too. Stay tuned.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

ManNamedTruth

I'm digging Kiss Each Other Clean so far. It's only 7.99 at target fyi. I bet he's pissed a lot of his old fans off with this and The Shepherd's Dog but i like how he's evolved. You can only do so much with the stripped down acoustic style.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

darkglow

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 25, 2011, 12:09 AM
Just tried to watch the guys on Conan just now... goddamn televisions are more trouble than they're even worth. Have no idea what channel Conan would even be on, the "Search" option sends me on an impossible mission into Hi-Def On-Demand Hi-Fi Wi-Fi Stereophonic B.S... then when I finally find it, they're already more than halfway through the song.... So it's at least half my own fault for not ever bonding with that space-age new-wave big-screen hunk of metal, but sheesh.  I'm sure it'll be video-fied and available online at some point or another, I think they always are.... but I just kind of needed to vent on my tv aversion for a moment, sorry gang  >:(

Late Edit:  Mi madre just texted me from across the house to say that, by some strange act of jeebiss, Iron & Wine somehow replayed at 1am AND the DVR taped it right from the beginning. So when I said "hunk of metal....." I, uh... I just meant what a hunk!   ;)  :-*

P.S. unable to afford the show in NYC on the 29th, but I look forward to hearing about it from all who go!!

P.P.S.  NEW ALBUM OUT TOMORROW/TODAY!!!! :o :o :o

tree hugging ______
;D

woodnymph

Quote from: darkglow on Jan 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
tree hugging ______
;D
_______ = dirt worshipper, voila! It is now complete.  ;D

:P

That Amoeba show is pretty cool, I like how they rework "House by the Sea," and I fell asleep with the show in my earbuds at some point last night.... yeah, the folks on their board are like a 50/50 or so about liking his old stuff vs. new stuff, but I mean... I wasn't there and all obviously when Dylan went electric.... but I'll be damned if it wasn't a sweet change-up! I like Sam's new deal, and he still does plenty solo acoustic bits to satisfy my specific braincells that love it.

He just recently did a La Blogotheque thing.. in a wine cellar, never the less!  (dut dat PSSH)
It's pretty grainy and realllllly weird camera positioning (you're like, looking at Sam from under a weird wooden staircase or something??) But it's interesting to say the least...

Iron and Wine | Tree by the river | A Take Away Show

They also caught him awhile back (in '07) in their "Behind Closed Doors" series... where artists play in an elevator (in Amsterdam)! Crazy concept, but I can't say I'm opposed to the idea! Sam makes fun of playing in an elevator... but he does a sweet job of it, and don't I wish I happened upon such an elevatorrrr  :P

(Behind) Closed Doors: Iron & Wine

Lovin' the new disc!!!

woodnymph

Ooops, think I missed 'em on Fallon last night, too.... just can't keep up!

But I *DID* come across a superior emoticon on the I&W board just a few moments ago......

Behold.....   A lovely beard

headhunter

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 26, 2011, 04:43 PM

But I *DID* come across a superior emoticon on the I&W board just a few moments ago......

very coolsville!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

capt. scotty

Im going to have to give this a few listens before I know how much I like it, especially because a lot of the songs it was hard to hear the lyrics (and seemed like they thematically bounced all over the place)...I like the expanded sound, but he really took a huge jump on some of the songs, whereas Walking Far From Home and Tree By The River sound like more natural progressions to me and identifiable as I&W. That said, Monkeys Uptown and the album closer with the dumb name are awesome.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Hee hee hee hee hee.    ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

kydiddle

Quote from: ALady on Jan 27, 2011, 07:47 PM

I love it!!!
Cow temperature.

woodnymph

Quote from: kydiddle on Jan 27, 2011, 09:12 PM
Quote from: ALady on Jan 27, 2011, 07:47 PM

I love it!!!
I thought the ladies might like him :-D :-D

e_wind

Im not much into I&W but I did just download his live show from Ameoba a la the Steam Engine. I have to say it's fantastic. I always thought he was solely an acoustic act. Do his albums feature bands at all? Am I just an idiot?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

capt. scotty

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 29, 2011, 03:06 PM
Im not much into I&W but I did just download his live show from Ameoba a la the Steam Engine. I have to say it's fantastic. I always thought he was solely an acoustic act. Do his albums feature bands at all? Am I just an idiot?

The new album has a lot more going on than his early albums..At least 80% of the songs - if not all fo them - on Kiss Each Other Clean have a full band sound going on.

Iron & Wine - Your Fake Name Is Good Enough for Me

♫ Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean - 04 - Monkeys Uptown [New] [Leaked]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

woodnymph

Capt's got some good picks from the new album! Shepherd's Dog is a goodie too, with band included

Iron & Wine - Wolves (Song of the Shepherd's Dog)

And the pan-ultimate Springtime songgggg

Iron & Wine - Lovesong of the Buzzard

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 29, 2011, 11:49 PM
Capt's got some good picks from the new album! Shepherd's Dog is a goodie too, with band included

Those are probably my favorite tracks from Shepherd's Dog. I'm pretty sure I like Shepherd's Dog better than the new one, what do ya think woody?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 30, 2011, 01:46 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 29, 2011, 11:49 PM

Those are probably my favorite tracks from Shepherd's Dog. I'm pretty sure I like Shepherd's Dog better than the new one, what do ya think woody?
Hey good taste!

As for which I like betterrrrrrrr...... oyyy veyyyy... well... ok let's see.... well, I like Shepherd's Dog a whole awful lot.. I like how the songs flow into eachother like a giant painting on the ceiling of a brilliant palace somewhere.... I suppose I may currently be partial to that one, too. But I haven't had a full "go" with Kiss Eachother Clean yet,  you know? Like Shepherd's Dog has taken me through the seasons several times now, and I've seen and heard him play those tunes, so there's the personal element there too. And it was pretty much the first I&W that caught my attention (I think). But there's a grand lot of potential with this noob, for sure. "Tree By The River" was strangely written about my past (something Sam ALWAYS seems to channel in very uncanny ways....) I am STOKED to dance-off at the upcoming shows with the new more upbeat tunes... and I'm still working my way through the mass of new lyrics that I can start dissecting and relating too, etc....

Sooooo I guess I'm still "on the fence 'round the [shepherd's] dog in the mangerrrrr"  if you will... that might be way random, but it's a line from Glad Man Singing  ;) ;)

woodnymph

OH AND DEAR GOD JEFF HOW WAS THE SHOW TONIGHT!?!?! SETLIST PRETTY PLEASE!! AND TRISH DID YOU GO!!?!?!?!? AHHHHH!!  :o :o :o :o :o

tdb810

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
OH AND DEAR GOD JEFF HOW WAS THE SHOW TONIGHT!?!?! SETLIST PRETTY PLEASE!! AND TRISH DID YOU GO!!?!?!?!? AHHHHH!!  :o :o :o :o :o
\

hey!! i didn't go! ended up having a bday celebration that i just couldn't miss!  i know that Ant (deathstick) went, and said it was amazing, though they had a really annoying crowd around them.  i'm sure someone will post it up soon! I know the last song was The Trapeze Swinger :)
.....Back at the Model Home

woodnymph

Quote from: tdb810 on Jan 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
\

hey!! i didn't go! ended up having a bday celebration that i just couldn't miss!  i know that Ant (deathstick) went, and said it was amazing, though they had a really annoying crowd around them.  i'm sure someone will post it up soon! I know the last song was The Trapeze Swinger :)
What a sweet sweet closer...... ah, bummer to hear he had 'that crowd' around 'im... but I can't wait to hear the rest! Thanks for the update!  :)

Penny Lane

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 30, 2011, 11:35 AM
Quote from: tdb810 on Jan 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
\

What a sweet sweet closer...... ah, bummer to hear he had 'that crowd' around 'im... but I can't wait to hear the rest! Thanks for the update!  :)

i've watched that youtube clip of the trapeze singer a bunch this morning..so pretty
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill