A Question for all you Radiohead folk

Started by el_chode, Jan 11, 2011, 09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I just read that if you put OK Computer and In Rainbows on one playlist and alternate tracks with OK Computer going first, set a 10 second crossfade, its evident they're really meant to be one album. Instructions:

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer's track one, "Airbag," and follow this with In Rainbow's track one, "15 Step." Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach "Karma Police" on OK Computer, making "All I Need" the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist.

I'm not really a Radiohead fan. I have both albums though. Anyone else ever do this before? Or is it a waste of time?
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
I just read that if you put OK Computer and In Rainbows on one playlist and alternate tracks with OK Computer going first, set a 10 second crossfade, its evident they're really meant to be one album. Instructions:

To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer's track one, "Airbag," and follow this with In Rainbow's track one, "15 Step." Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach "Karma Police" on OK Computer, making "All I Need" the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist.

I'm not really a Radiohead fan. I have both albums though. Anyone else ever do this before? Or is it a waste of time?

i love wasting time doing stuff like that.. i've never heard this one, thanks Chode.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 11, 2011, 09:50 AM

i love wasting time doing stuff like that.. i've never heard this one, thanks Chode.

Sorry if I sound like a bit of a Radiohead rookie on this, but I guess the band has an obsession with the number 10 also, and these albums are part of that. In fact, the number 10 is hidden twice in plain view on the cover of In Rainbows

twofingers

It's unreal how well they flow together. It honest to god sounds like it could have been recorded in the same session. This isn't some mix Dark Side with Oz type shit either.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

el_chode

Quote from: twofingers on Jan 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
It's unreal how well they flow together. It honest to god sounds like it could have been recorded in the same session. This isn't some mix Dark Side with Oz type shit either.

Did you know about this already or because I mentioned it here?

There's apparently reason to believe it's all part of the same session actually. Here's where I read it

el_chode

Ok, so either Chris Hardwick or someone on his staff is a MMJ fan or they read the same article I did today, because this appears on Nerdist just a few hours ago, which is a really strange coincidence.

Anyway, as a non-fan, I gotta say that aside from songs I recognize (which is actually more off In Rainbows, I have a real hard time picking apart the songs at times.

Nerdist points out you're supposed to put the 10 sec crossfade on for "side 1" which is Airbag through Karma Police, and "side two" begins with Fitter, and no crossfade (because binary an on/off situation?)

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I've heard of the binary code thing.   I always figured it was just their snobbish way of saying the albums from Ok Computer to In Rainbows were a phase.  start/finish and their next album will be a new zone, the next level.   I've heard people say Ok Computer is inspired by 1984, I've heard Kid A/Amnesiac represent Heaven/Hell.  Then there is even stuff like the Kid a 17second thing where you press play for one Kid A and then 17 seconds later press play on a second Kid A album so they are simultaneously playing over each other which supposedly creates a new album where most stuff lines up. 

If anything the connection seems to be accidental ala Pink Floyd/The Wizard of Oz.  Nude was written during the Ok Computer sessions.  I think House of Cards was also. 

supposed "Kid 17" example:

Radiohead - Idioteque (Kid 17 Version)

capt. scotty

2 questions:

-So this only works for 10 tracks, ie the first 5 from each album, and then you stop?

-Whats a 10 second crossfade? Only thing I could think of would be a 10 second gap between songs but I dont get how that does anything but make it worse.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

I was trippin' once and thought I was actually putting my hand through my head.

I also believed my hands had turned into feet when I was driving us to play Galaga at the bowling alley.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 11, 2011, 08:16 PM

I also believed my hands had turned into feet when I was driving us to play Galaga at the bowling alley.

That wasn't Galaga you daft old coot. You were going to play Lunar Lander followed by a rousing game of Pong.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 11, 2011, 08:34 PM

That wasn't Galaga you daft old coot. You were going to play Lunar Lander followed by a rousing game of Pong.

lunar lander

Arcade Original Pong
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

wolof7

wouldn't the 9th track (supposedly the last for Ok Computer) be "let down" not "karma police" ?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

I was trying to read through all this at work tonight, but there's some crazy info in here! Gonna have to sit down with this one!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Sticky that Kid 17 stuff is f'n nuts, jesus
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

wolof7

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
Sticky that Kid 17 stuff is f'n nuts, jesus

I second that, ha, I saw that post (and poster) and my fiancee and I tried it along with some sticky icky green stuff tonight (bc we got a mothafin snow day tomorrow!)...mind bogglin stuff.  Radiohead is prob in my top 3 bands to listen to when I partake in the jibba jabba, thanks for giving me another reason!  ;)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 11, 2011, 09:19 PM

wouldn't the 9th track (supposedly the last for Ok Computer) be "let down" not "karma police" ?

Karma "closes" that album as the 11th track. All I Need is the 10th, let down is 9th.

Think of it as a double album with each disc having 11 tracks. 

el_chode

I once sprained my wrist playing Galaga.

el_chode

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
2 questions:

-So this only works for 10 tracks, ie the first 5 from each album, and then you stop?

-Whats a 10 second crossfade? Only thing I could think of would be a 10 second gap between songs but I dont get how that does anything but make it worse.

No, it supposedly "works" for the whole album. The playlist should look as follows:

1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
----------------------------------------
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)

The crossfade is in the preferences for iTunes under "playback"

There is some speculation as to whether or not its necessary. One blog post writes that it definitely complements the first half of the playlist while not really doing much for the second half.

My personal take on it is that it muddles the analysis a bit.

bleedingshrimp

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums.html

Warning! The website that I linked is a major life waster!!! This is an article on the Radiohead thing and a bunch of other easter eggs on famous albums.

kydiddle

Quote from: twofingers on Jan 11, 2011, 11:35 AM

Yep. I did this thanks to a tip from twofingers it's really quite fantastic in the sense that the albums complement each other.
Cow temperature.