What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

lots of good stuff out there depending on what you want to spend.

check out the turntables for sale at these two websites.  both great companies, very helpful and will work with your budget for both TT's and cartridges.

http://www.musicdirect.com//

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/351/Turntables
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Quote from: Crispy on Feb 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
David Gilmour • S/T
Hey, Crisper.  I'm assuming "S/T" means "self-titled"? 

One of my favorite albums.  With all the early forays into psychedlic technology w/P. Floyd, I love the bare, straightforward rock of his first solo effort.  Cry from the Street is probably my favorite track, with a nice solo intro.  Enjoy it loud!
Hey Johnny, I just saw this -- yup, you got it right about "S/T". I've always loved that Gilmour record and never had it on vinyl until now, and it does sound good LOUD. The obvious favorite is There's No Way Out of Here, Cry From the Street is great, and So Far Away is a nice song. It's interesting to listen to No Way in the context of the travails of Pink Floyd at the time. Funny enough, I bought his next solo record when it was released in 1984. Mom had to tell me to turn that one down a few times, and it still sounds great! (Edit: okay, the first two tracks on About Face are awesome, the rest kinda sucks)

I went old school when I needed a new turntable and got a Marantz 6300 on ebay. I love it, but it could use some work and a new cartridge. I recommend this route if you are a DIY-er, an amp-and-speaker person, have some teeny screwdrivers and can plug in cables and connect a ground wire.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

BH

I also love that David Gilmour S/T!   I need to break it out soon!

I just got Virgin Forest - Joy Atrophy in the mail.   It's a bunch of members of Phosphorescent without Matthew Houck.

And they sent me this for free:

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Hawkeye

As far as turntables go, I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL50-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00006HO3O

Altho I found it for like $75.  Very satisfied with it so far.  It has a pretty short RCA output cables...that would be my only complaint.  But I've ripped lots of vinyl with it...sounds fine.  Plays fine.  Stylus/cartridge might be a little light...if I get the right vibrations going on certain records it bounces.  I've thought about just taping a penny above the needle...I've heard this works.  It's belt-drive which I've heard is less desirable than direct-drive (belts can stretch or break), but I haven't had any problems with mine yet.  If you're looking for affordability, this one is pretty much impossible to beat!  My next one, I'm either going vintage or building my own  :)

But this one has serviced me well for 3-4 years now.
We could.

Hawkeye

That Marantz 6300 looks nice, Crispy.  Saw a few on ebay.  Digging the wood-grain.

Headhunter, there are some pricey turntables on those websites you posted!  A $40,000 turntable!  Hot dang!  At 90 lbs it's built like a tank!
We could.

Crispy

Hey Hawkeye, there should be an adjustment on the tonearm to change the pressure on the stylus -- I can't tell by the picture. Anywho, a penny would probably be too much, you might try a dime (which would probably still be too heavy). Prices keep going up! ;)

BH, those records look good, that first cover is super sweet!

scosby2

Quote from: Hawkeye on Mar 01, 2011, 12:57 PM
That Marantz 6300 looks nice, Crispy.  Saw a few on ebay.  Digging the wood-grain.

Headhunter, there are some pricey turntables on those websites you posted!  A $40,000 turntable!  Hot dang!  At 90 lbs it's built like a tank!

sad to say but there are more turntables for around the 40 grand range than the 100 - 400 dollar range. listen to a 40 grand turntable and a cheap turntable will never sound the same. i just got a pro-ject debut III for around 400. I'm probably gonna upgrade the needle but other than that I really like it

headhunter

the music hall tt's are really good for under $400 bucks and you can even get a good cartridge installed.  I use a  VPI TT at home and have several friends with great TT's.  I've heard the $40k and up TT's some stereo and audio shows but don't know anyone who actually have one.  Kinda like a Lamborghini.  I'll never own one but still nice to look at.

Ruckus

The limited edition, signed 20 LP T5 box set with reprints of each show poster.  It's simply amazing (in the future).

I'd have to get off the couch 40 times in 13 hours.  Exhausting to even think about.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 04, 2011, 01:00 PM
The limited edition, signed 20 LP T5 box set with reprints of each show poster.  It's simply amazing (in the future).

I'd have to get off the couch 40 times in 13 hours.  Exhausting to even think about.

What'd you pay for it (in the future)? A bargain at any price, to be sure. A pair of rocked-the-fuck-off panties and a petrified banana should also be included.

YouAre_GivenToFly

;D  ;D ;D

I was just listening to one of Lewis Black's comedy albums, where he was talking about iPods and albums, and how he lost his virginity listening to a Bob Dylan album, but it got stuck on a skip.... " 'lay lady lay, lay lady lay, lay lady lay'... didn't even get to the big brass bed".
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 04, 2011, 01:30 PM

What'd you pay for it (in the future)? A bargain at any price, to be sure. A pair of rocked-the-fuck-off panties and a petrified banana should also be included.
Well hugs and kisses are the currency of the future.  But if I had to put a $ value on it, I'd drop $250 for 180 gram pressings and more depending on the bells and whistles.  I mean I'd buy it regardless but that seems fair no?  I'd have to buy two as well so one can collect dust in its shrink wrapped glory and placed in my time capsule.  Also...Trish has a petrified banana!  By petrified I mean thoroughly oxidized and potentially poisonous

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 04, 2011, 03:27 PM

Well hugs and kisses are the currency of the future.  But if I had to put a $ value on it, I'd drop $250 for 180 gram pressings and more depending on the bells and whistles.  I mean I'd buy it regardless but that seems fair no?  I'd have to buy two as well so one can collect dust in its shrink wrapped glory and placed in my time capsule.  Also...Trish has a petrified banana!  By petrified I mean thoroughly oxidized and potentially poisonous

Can you convert 17 BH hugs into dollars for me adjusted for inflation?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: BH on Mar 04, 2011, 04:25 PM

I think it's the same ratio as Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickels.

BH

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 04, 2011, 04:46 PM

;D

Ruckus

Okonokos - FINALLY!

And found a VG used copy of Rush - Signals for a buck at Goodwill

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Mar 01, 2011, 10:54 AM
I also love that David Gilmour S/T!   I need to break it out soon!

I just got Virgin Forest - Joy Atrophy in the mail.   It's a bunch of members of Phosphorescent without Matthew Houck.

And they sent me this for free:

I too love David Gilmour S/T - I haven't pulled out that CD in over a decade!

Hey BH, how is that Virgin Forest - Joy Atrophy?  I like the former (band name), not so much the latter

headhunter

Middle Brother - a new group comprised of guys from delta spirit, deer tick and the dawes.    Think Monsters of Folk kinda synergy.  Really good stuff. Great vinyl recording w free mp 3 download.  recommended.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: headhunter on Mar 13, 2011, 08:28 PM
Middle Brother - a new group comprised of guys from delta spirit, deer tick and the dawes.    Think Monsters of Folk kinda synergy.  Really good stuff. Great vinyl recording w free mp 3 download.  recommended.

I bought the limited edition of this LP. I'm a big Deer Tick & Dawes fan, but to be honest I think I like the Delta Spirit guy's songs the best.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Mar 04, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 04, 2011, 04:46 PM

;D
This is odd because both Butch Cassidy and TWTHS as digitally released sound identical to the ones from my T5 vinyl box set.  However the horns are much less prominent than in yesterday's digital release.

17 BH hugs is worthy of a spot on a Mastercard commercial