Main Menu

cover z

Started by blabber, Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blabber

hi guys, does anyone know who designed the "Z" album cover ?
Thank you  :thumbsup:

BH

kathleen lolley.   She is amazing.

http://www.lolleyland.com/
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

walterfredo

wow, her stuff is definitely nice.  Really reminds me of Andy Kehoe

http://www.andykehoe.net/

johnnYYac

After visiting her site, I'm thinking I've seen something else of her's associated with Yim, but it escapes me.  Anyone? 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

This thread got me looking more closely at the artwork in the Z insert booklet for the CD.  Quite a treasure trove of pieces, some from some familiar poster artists.  Allow me...

In order of appearance.

The World Within by Kathleen Lolley

Childrens Style Drawings #1 by Nicolai Denchev (you may recognize the crab from a t-shirt design floating around)

Z Fanned by Mermaids by Brandon Jones (also did the App. Vox. and KFC Yum! posters)

Z Beachscape by  Katie Beach (ironic)

Z Shining by Mike Fulkerson

Z Building by Guy Burwell (you may have heard of him)

Unknown (couldn't match it to the liner notes)

Childrens Style Drawings #2 by Nicolai Denchev

Z in a Tree by Kathleen Lolley

Childrens Style Drawings #3 by Nicolai Denchev

Z Cityscape by Kathleen Lolley

Grasshoppers by Nicolai Denchev

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

touchingmept2

Sooo... does anyone know what "Z" signifies? :o
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

BH

I love those dirty little grasshoppers.  I'm glad you posted that JY cause I used to look for more info on Nicolai Denchev and I could never find any, but I looked again and found this:

http://www.nikolaydenchev.com/

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jan 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
Sooo... does anyone know what "Z" signifies? :o

What I've found on the topic so far:

"I speak through music and lyrics, so with the title I wanted to get away from speaking and use something that didn't mean anything at all — just one letter not connected to any other letters or vowels at all," James said in his quiet, almost melancholy tone which has just a pinch of a Southern twang to it. In his dry but cutting wit, he added, "I like the shape of it. You can bend it to make a triangle. You can lop off one end to make a 7. I feel like it had a lot going for it."
(The Marquee Magazine October 2005 found here: http://marqueemag.com/2005/10/01/my-morning-jacket-takes-a-less-is-more-approach-with-latest-z/)

"Whenever I was talking about the title people would think it was going to be our last record. I thought that was funny. Or someone said we were going to start going backwards. After Z we'd do Y and just keep going that way"
- Tom Blankenship
(Pitchfork interview, April 2006 found here: http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6299-my-morning-jacket/)

:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

touchingmept2

Haha should've asked about the "insignificance" of the title ::)
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Feb 01, 2011, 11:26 AM

Hahaha, well, I still think it means something though, but I also think the band likes to keep some things private... which is why I'll send my private Swedish moose army to spy on them, led by general Mooses, who is the most experienced in the field... or something like that!  ;)

Schmokenvontoken

From my own introspective thoughts on this album, i've gathered that this CD was for generation Z.  Granted it appeals to all ages, but is particular vital to those young mold-able minds who were born in the 90s and into 2000s, which is also the age group (including latter end of 80s babies) that makes up a good chunk of the fan base. Even the cover makes it look like 'Doctor's are opening up the seams if society and about to reconstruct the inner workings of the metaphorical organs that make it all tick. I feel like Wordless Chorus and Off the Record were like the theme tracks and very clearly state the new generation's need for a redefining of culture and values as a whole. 
Remember the chorus as a kid you made,
cuz you've got to want to rearrange it,
keep it->
off the record!
come on!
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

buymycar

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Feb 01, 2011, 02:22 PM

Hahaha, well, I still think it means something though, but I also think the band likes to keep some things private... which is why I'll send my private Swedish moose army to spy on them, led by general Mooses, who is the most experienced in the field... or something like that!  ;)

Is that what you Swedes scare up to battle the Lapplanders and their reindeer army?

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: buymycar on Feb 02, 2011, 03:30 AM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Feb 01, 2011, 02:22 PM

Is that what you Swedes scare up to battle the Lapplanders and their reindeer army?

Yup, that and IKEA-made-meatball-catapults... the Swedish chef personally tastes every meatball before we attack too, it's those little details that does it y'know.  ;) And in a feeble attempt to stay on topic, I like that take on the title Schmokenvontoken!  :)

Jackets N Pones

Crispy what about the sweatbees cover photo and can we get that on a t-shirt?

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire