Main Menu

Akron / Family

Started by wolof7, Feb 03, 2011, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Anyone like these guys? I really dug their Love is Simple release in 2007...Ed is a Portal is a great song! Their new album is The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT. It is streaming here and it sounds great: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44427006#luisterpaal.44427006

How would one describe this band?

I don't know maybe a crunchy mix of tribal jam with a dash of funk and some straightforward rock 'n'roll....They are an enigma in the vein of Apollo Sunshine, the Slip or the Flaming Lips...Spiritualized.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 03, 2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone like these guys? Their new album is The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT. It is streaming here: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44427006#luisterpaal.44427006

I don't know maybe a crunchy mix of tribal jam with a dash of funk and some straightforward rock 'n'roll....They are an enigma in the vein of Apollo Sunshine, the Slip or the Flaming Lips.
Wow this just reminded me that I'm failing pretty hard on givin' these guys a spin! I know Ruckus likes 'em, he'll have some good input!  8)  Sounds right up my alleywayyyyyy
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

Glad you started this thread.  I was starting to get self conscious of starting other music threads. :embarassed: ;D  I became familiar with them when Sleepy Sun opened for them through their east coast leg of their tour. 

Really cool band that I agree is hard to categorize because they are sonically all over the map.  That said, while I get the tribal jam part, I would say it's prominent on select songs such as Ed is Portal and Lake Song.  While I like Love is Simple, I actually prefer Set 'em Wild, Set 'em Free even more.  In addition to your description of them, I'd add that they have a significant freak/psych folk aspect to them as well as pure psychedelic rock.

I haven't heard the new one yet and am interested to see what direction they chose to go in and how all over the map they are with this one.

Pretty sweet $12 show last year with Sleepy Sun opening for these guys eh?  Too bad I couldn't make it because it was a weeknight show in DC. :'( :'(
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Anyone like these guys? I really dug their Love is Simple release in 2007...Ed is a Portal is a great song! Their new album is The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT. It is streaming here and it sounds great: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/44427006#luisterpaal.44427006

I don't know maybe a crunchy mix of tribal jam with a dash of funk and some straightforward rock 'n'roll....They are an enigma in the vein of Apollo Sunshine, the Slip or the Flaming Lips...Spiritualized.

OK, so first time listening to this album.  Only first impression of course but it sounds like they've really taken it to another level.  It all sounds somewhat familiar but there is so much more punch to their sound!  It comes across as heavier and fully live sounding if that makes sense.  Perhaps taking the next step from experimental gimmicky scene band into a real accessible, live monster. :o  I like a lot!

Ruckus

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 10, 2011, 01:09 AM

OK, so first time listening to this album.  Only first impression of course but it sounds like they've really taken it to another level.  It all sounds somewhat familiar but there is so much more punch to their sound!  It comes across as heavier and fully live sounding if that makes sense.  Perhaps taking the next step from experimental gimmicky scene band into a real accessible, live monster. :o  I like a lot!

Upon 2nd and 3rd listens, I retract my sauce induced gushing of this album.   ;D  Though I still enjoy it, I guess I had hoped that they would venture a little more into the world of melody.  It just becomes a tedious listen at times.  Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free remains the high water mark for me right now.