Who is the biggest ASSHOLE in rock??

Started by CTdeadhead, Feb 10, 2011, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

I can't help myself.  I've worked in live music for 20 years, toured the world, yadda yadda.  Met more than a couple assholes but one stands out for me as the most memorably and uniquely awful.  I'm not going to say his name, but his daddy owns a modelling agency and handed him his career on a silver platter. 

Not just among musicians, but humans I've met, I've never encountered such an intense combination of spoiled entitlement and arrogance coupled with a lack of actual skill.  Its one thing to be demanding if you've got the goods to back it up, but this guy couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag.  He couldn't make it to callbacks at a middle school choir audition.  And yet...millions of copies sold.

APR

Noel and Liam Gallagher never struck me as nice individuals.  But this article about Scott Weiland that I saws today is pretty timely for this thread:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-embarrassed-by-bad-behavior-at-boston-meet-and-greet-20150326

parkervb

Quote from: Rex on Mar 26, 2015, 11:41 AM
I can't help myself.  I've worked in live music for 20 years, toured the world, yadda yadda.  Met more than a couple assholes but one stands out for me as the most memorably and uniquely awful.  I'm not going to say his name, but his daddy owns a modelling agency and handed him his career on a silver platter. 

Not just among musicians, but humans I've met, I've never encountered such an intense combination of spoiled entitlement and arrogance coupled with a lack of actual skill.  Its one thing to be demanding if you've got the goods to back it up, but this guy couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag.  He couldn't make it to callbacks at a middle school choir audition.  And yet...millions of copies sold.

I guess that his last name is the plural form of a classic 20th century film...
Don't you ever turn it off

Fully

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 26, 2015, 02:22 PM

That's my guess too. If the hint is so obvious,  why not name him.

parkervb

Quote from: Fully on Mar 26, 2015, 02:26 PM

where's the fun in being obvious?

Max5130

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 26, 2015, 03:39 PM
Quote from: Fully on Mar 26, 2015, 02:26 PM

where's the fun in being obvious?
Will you guys please give me a first or last name. Because I'm have no idea!

parkervb

LBSUNFLWR

Ha! I just went to google and typed in singer who's daddy owns a modeling agency.
it came up in the first 5-6 posts.

Rex

Heh, that was all way more fun than me just saying it!

sillyboob

Half of what I say is meaningless, but still I say it just to reach his similarly named sister.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ajclements004

dookie shoot bandit

I'm hoping this is not in reference to the Strokes...
Cause I would have to STRONGLY disagree..
Asshole? Quite possibly
But bad singer? Sorry I don't agree

parkervb

dookie shoot bandit

Shits weak...
Strokes and Julian are awesome

kholl44

As much as I hate to admit it since he is from my home state and I actually enjoy a lot of his songs and performances... Kid Rock is a pretty ignorant asshole even among rock stars
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

LBSUNFLWR

for sure. also his music is awful.

blucas

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Quote from: Cheetara on Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 16, 2011, 11:00 PM
Quote from: Cheetara on Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
But I don't agree that they were fortunate to have been able to do that. We're all able to, no matter the circumstances.

Sorry, but that's pie-in-the-sky rubbish.

If thats what you believe, the yes. It will only ever be rubbish. They may have been fortunate to have had less obstacles in the way of attaining what they wanted, but more obstacles doesn't make it impossible or rubbish.  The only things that are impossible are the ones that we limit ourselves from.  ;)

right cheetara, dream on.

I want to play point guard in the NBA

My color blind nephew wants to fly jets for the Navy

My mother wants to be able to walk up a flight of stairs

Do you know how many gifted musicians bust their asses their whole lives to play the Ryman in Nashville and NEVER get there? But they got to watch Ashley Simpson play the Ryman.

I see your point b/c I used to think like you. Do you see my point?

Happiness is certainly achievable and the ability to transcend the things we cannot do is a great place to start. But to say, "The only things that are impossible are the ones that we limit ourselves from" is simply not true. And I think that's Crispy's point. Cherish your opportunity and fortune to be able to do what you love for a living, and don't be a douche b/c not everyone gets to do that.

So excuse me but I have to run off now and brush up on my Spanish. It's always been my dream to be a dictator of a small, South American country.

You're gonna need a haircut.
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

blucas

Maybe I missed it but no mention of Maynard James Keenan (am I an asshole if I qualify this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of his various bands but my friends are)?  He's created drama at every show I've seen and three shows were cut significantly short for one reason or another.  He stopped mid-song at a Perfect Circle show to take a fake phone call on his cell and proceeded to tell the audience that his wine (he has vineyards in AZ) won some bullshit award.  There's also that video of him choking out a skinny 110# fan that got on stage. 

Ted Nugent, not relevant to rock anymore or ever, is certainly the biggest asshole in the world. 

blucas

Quote from: blucas on Oct 26, 2015, 04:17 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Quote from: Cheetara on Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 16, 2011, 11:00 PM
Quote from: Cheetara on Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
But I don't agree that they were fortunate to have been able to do that. We're all able to, no matter the circumstances.

Sorry, but that's pie-in-the-sky rubbish.

If thats what you believe, the yes. It will only ever be rubbish. They may have been fortunate to have had less obstacles in the way of attaining what they wanted, but more obstacles doesn't make it impossible or rubbish.  The only things that are impossible are the ones that we limit ourselves from.  ;)

right cheetara, dream on.

I want to play point guard in the NBA

My color blind nephew wants to fly jets for the Navy

My mother wants to be able to walk up a flight of stairs

Do you know how many gifted musicians bust their asses their whole lives to play the Ryman in Nashville and NEVER get there? But they got to watch Ashley Simpson play the Ryman.

I see your point b/c I used to think like you. Do you see my point?

Happiness is certainly achievable and the ability to transcend the things we cannot do is a great place to start. But to say, "The only things that are impossible are the ones that we limit ourselves from" is simply not true. And I think that's Crispy's point. Cherish your opportunity and fortune to be able to do what you love for a living, and don't be a douche b/c not everyone gets to do that.

So excuse me but I have to run off now and brush up on my Spanish. It's always been my dream to be a dictator of a small, South American country.

You're gonna need a haircut.
...and a mustache