Main Menu

Portugal. The Man

Started by the_wizzard, Mar 01, 2011, 12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come Closer

I definitely agree that it doesn't feel like an opener, but Plastic Soldiers works great for me. I love how it just dives in and the first half of the album is full speed ahead. The brakes are pumped at Sea of Air. I like the first half slightly more than the second. Well crafted album imo, unconventional as it is. Not a surprise I guess with Dangermouse involved.

TheThird

In honor of the 4 year anniversary of one of my favorites, I'll be spinning The Satanic Satanist today.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

APR

Thanks to this Forum and you all on this thread in particular in this case....BIG Thank You.  I checked out Portugal. The Man a few months ago and got to know their last two albums pretty well.  That led me to seeing them live for the first time last night.  I am so glad I went (only knowing two songs, my wife was very glad she went too).  Awesome show!  Most of the songs came from their last two albums and they happened to play pretty much all of my favorites..... Modern Jesus, Creep with a T Shirt, Hip Hop Kids, Got It All.

The intro music was the Everly Brothers.  They opened and closed with Purple Yellow Red and Blue.  I don't think I've ever been to a concert when the same song was played twice.  It still was a great, rocking ending to the night.  They weaved in Beatles covers throughout.  I assume that is common.  Snippets of Don't Let Me Down, Live and Let Die (Paul solo), good part of Hey Jude, and all of Helter Skelter.  Great musicians, great energy, and great singer = phenomenal band. 

I just wish I arrived at the venue a little earlier to have seen the opening act.  I only caught the last song from Crystal Fighters, but it sounded great.  They have a ton of energy and were having a blast.  Anyone know them at all?  If you see Portugal. The Man on this tour, I recommend checking them out.

e_wind

Yeah they love some Beatles covers. They uses to always close with Sleep Forever into a hey Jude jam. It was awesome. I've also seen them do belter skelter. Great live band
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Belter Skelter is killer!

capt. scotty

I loved hearing them play Dont Look Back In Anger a couple years ago at Lolla as their encore.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

kotchishm

Found this acoustic version of Etta James' 'I'd Rather Go Blind'

Portugal The Man - Etta James Cover - Session Acoustique OÜI FM
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

LBSUNFLWR

Seeing them in a few weeks at The Brown. I'm not too familiar with them but looking forward to the show.