Main Menu

Portugal. The Man

Started by the_wizzard, Mar 01, 2011, 12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_wizzard

he.who.forgets, I always advise to never judge a bands' chops from a festival performance.  PTM is off the hook live.  I have seen them a few times now, all massive.

I am so bummed about their gear.  Thieves are low lives.  Scum.  Zach (their bassist), who has always been nothing but a doll to me and my friends, just breaks my heart in this video:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Lolla-Bands-Van-Gear-Stolen-127249388.html

They have a gig here at the Crystal Ballroom next Monday, not sure if it will happen.  However, the Portland music scene is tight and I can see them being able to round up some gear in time.  But I am a little worried about our PTM party.  It is slated for the end of the month....

tdb810

sux big time.  i hope they find their stuff....some beautiful equipment they have, and to see it all get stolen just like that is unbelievable.  AND in an attended lot nonetheless.  WTF.  I sure hope everything works out for them.....and you :)
.....Back at the Model Home

tdb810

we were admiring those gretch guitars @ hangout.  bummer, everything......

he.who.forgets

thanks for the comments tbd & wizzard...this is certainly reassuring. Sucks big time about their gear!

capt. scotty

Thats terrible about their gear...Hard to believe their rides werent protected at a festival, especially one thats downtown in a major city.

I had heard of them for 2-3 years, and I listened to a couple songs around then, but for whatever reason that was that. A friend asked me for album recs a few days ago, on top of what I already said from 2011, so I gave PTM's new album a listen and loved it from the start, actually listening right now. Think Ive spun it almost daily for a week now. I did watch their Lolla set stream, and was impressed. I busted my hdmi cable so it was just my laptop speakers so I wasnt worried about the sound really, but Im quickly becoming a big fan. I think they have shades of Bowie, the Beatles, T-Rex, and a more recent band. Still not sure if Ive pinpointed that band, but they closed their set with Oasis' "Dont Look Back In Anger"..Id hardly call myself an Oasis fan, but that song and Champagne Supernova are special to me, and after hearing that, they do have a bit of Oasis. Still think there's a more recent band than that that they remind me of somewhat.

So, I liked what I saw from the stream. More than anything though, Im amazed that somehow every chorus on the new album sounds catchy as hell. That's a rarity. They got me hooked. Now to delve deeper. Where should I start?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

he.who.forgets

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 09, 2011, 01:01 AM
Thats terrible about their gear...Hard to believe their rides werent protected at a festival, especially one thats downtown in a major city.

I had heard of them for 2-3 years, and I listened to a couple songs around then, but for whatever reason that was that. A friend asked me for album recs a few days ago, on top of what I already said from 2011, so I gave PTM's new album a listen and loved it from the start, actually listening right now. Think Ive spun it almost daily for a week now. I did watch their Lolla set stream, and was impressed. I busted my hdmi cable so it was just my laptop speakers so I wasnt worried about the sound really, but Im quickly becoming a big fan. I think they have shades of Bowie, the Beatles, T-Rex, and a more recent band. Still not sure if Ive pinpointed that band, but they closed their set with Oasis' "Dont Look Back In Anger"..Id hardly call myself an Oasis fan, but that song and Champagne Supernova are special to me, and after hearing that, they do have a bit of Oasis. Still think there's a more recent band than that that they remind me of somewhat.

So, I liked what I saw from the stream. More than anything though, Im amazed that somehow every chorus on the new album sounds catchy as hell. That's a rarity. They got me hooked. Now to delve deeper. Where should I start?
In my opinion, if you dig the new album, go with The Satanic Satanist.  I promise you wont be disappointed.  It's a near flawless album.

Jon T.

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 09, 2011, 01:01 AM

I had heard of them for 2-3 years, and I listened to a couple songs around then, but for whatever reason that was that.

Same here.  Plus, I didn't like their name so they had that against them, too.   
side note - I also didn't like the name My Morning Jacket.  You would think that after them I would maybe not hold a band's name against them anymore, but noooooo.  ::)

mahg33ta

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Aug 08, 2011, 08:29 PM
So, can anyone that's seen the band live give an opinion on their performance? I LOVE this band and watched their streaming set from Lolla yesterday.  Not sure if it was the quality of the broadcast, the sound system or what, but I was just really disappointed.  It just didnt translate very well live to me.  Anyone else watch? Opinions?

I watched and I was a little unimpressed to be honest.   I'm a very recent convert to PTM as you'll read if you look earlier in the thread, but I've been listening to their albums on heavy rotation lately.   I wasn't grabbed at all by the performance and found myself a littel bored.

I'm going to see them in October and not worried yet - I know a daytime slot at a festival, streaming over the internet, isn't the best way to judge a band.   Give me a crowded bar and a few beers.   Still, it is interesting to hear your perspective was similar.

smhoffmann02

That effin' sucks about their gear.  All I have to say is KARMA.  PTM will survive this set back and hopefully, they'll get their gear back.  :thumbsup:
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

el_chode

Keep in mind if their shit does turn up on Craigslist, IT IS POSSIBLE TO TRACK THE FUCKERS DOWN.

Seriously. Some police departments are like "oh man CL is anonymous! we're screwed" and if they just sent a subpoena or two they'd get what they need.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Crispy

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 09, 2011, 05:35 PM
Keep in mind if their shit does turn up on Craigslist, IT IS POSSIBLE TO TRACK THE FUCKERS DOWN.

Seriously. Some police departments are like "oh man CL is anonymous! we're screwed" and if they just sent a subpoena or two they'd get what they need.

I think some police departments are more like, "Oh man, we really just don't give a shit about getting your stuff back, OR catching the gentlemen who took it."
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

tdb810

my detective skills are on overdrive.....a thought came to me this morning --- parking lot attendant inside job -- i bet they are behind the heist. 

el_chode

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 09, 2011, 05:41 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Aug 09, 2011, 05:35 PM

I think some police departments are more like, "Oh man, we really just don't give a shit about getting your stuff back, OR catching the gentlemen who took it."

i'd be surprised. i mean i work in an area where we've got AK47s going around and they still take the time out to investigate and take down a craigslist cheat (if all goes well, that'll be my job within a month or so)
I'm surrounded by assholes

capt. scotty

I was just listening from my laptop on the stream because I broke my HDMI cable, but I liked what I heard. First time I ever heard/listened live though, plus it was a festy. That said, I liked em
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tdb810

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 09, 2011, 11:43 PM
I was just listening from my laptop on the stream because I broke my HDMI cable, but I liked what I heard. First time I ever heard/listened live though, plus it was a festy. That said, I liked em
Satanic Satanist!  You can stream it here:  http://www.portugaltheman.com/album/5c1eed-the-satanic-satanist/

the_wizzard

Almost all their gear was recovered!  :D
PTM are good people and I knew their good karma would pay off in the end.  Now they need to find better parking spots in the future.  Or get a guard for their trailer:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/7102823-418/lollapalooza-bands-stolen-gear-bought-at-a-flea-market-for-1000.html#.TkvObNJZjj0.twitter

tdb810

Amazing! Such great news!

the_wizzard

They are stll missing some important guitars (white falcon, fender precision special...), but getting most of it back is pretty awesome.

smhoffmann02

Yay!  This fantastic story was just what I needed this morning given the stock market is tanking again and has me all jacked up.

Rock on, PTM.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.