Main Menu

RUSH

Started by wolof7, Mar 09, 2011, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
Glad you enjoyed Ruckus, when I saw them I was just floored with Lifeson....I also forgot how much I enjoyed "Leave that thing Alone."
Leave that Thing Alone is a fantastic track and so is Where's My Thing.  When Leave That Thing Alone came on, I turned to my girlfriend and friend and mentioned that this is the closest thing you'll hear Rush do that resembles a dance track.  It's got a a straight forward dance beat reminiscent of TMIGSII on the early sections had me groovin' at a RUSH show! ;D  I've had the fortune of seeing that track two times during the Counterparts tour I think but it somehow felt fresh.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

And Tracy, we counted at least 4 middle aged white guys with tucked in tshirts in their jeans with white tennis shoes and wearing a fannie pack.  And that was 4 that had all parts of the uniform down.  If I were to remove one or two requirements, it would have been  over half the crowd.  Some things don't change after over a decade. ;D

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
And Tracy, we counted at least 4 middle aged white guys with tucked in tshirts in their jeans with white tennis shoes and wearing a fannie pack.  And that was 4 that had all parts of the uniform down.  If I were to remove one or two requirements, it would have been  over half the crowd.  Some things don't change after over a decade. ;D
and no offense to Tracy, because he's a straight up stylish baller, but I think you just described 85-90% of the men the age of my father-in-law. If they were wearing shorts, I can guarentee they would be wearing mid calf socks with their ugly trainers.

wolof7

Any fans get their hands on one of these? Looks tasty! :beer:

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

youreveningcoat

Woooh RUSH thread!

It took me a year to learn Spirit of Radio on drums, Neil Peart is almost as good as Patrick :P
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

wolof7

Fellow Rush fans, I do not own the entire catalog but I want to. I have heard tracks off the following but am wondering where to go next.  What'dya think?

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages

Crispy

Quote from: wolof7 on May 05, 2011, 12:09 PM
Fellow Rush fans, I do not own the entire catalog but I want to. I have heard tracks off the following but am wondering where to go next.  What'dya think?

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages

If that's all you're lacking, you've already got all the good stuff.

/ducking Tracy's haymaker/

(kidding anyway)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages
I love this thread!

All the World's a Stage and Different Stages are excellent and Caress of Steel is an underrated must have!  One of my favorites now.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on May 05, 2011, 12:23 PM

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages
I love this thread!

All the World's a Stage and Different Stages are excellent and Caress of Steel is an underrated must have!  One of my favorites now.

I am pretty sure I can get my hands on vinyl All the World's a Stage and Grace under Pressure. Carress of Steel is harder to come by. Think I'll go with the live one.

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on May 05, 2011, 12:27 PM

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages
I love this thread!

I am pretty sure I can get my hands on vinyl All the World's a Stage and Grace under Pressure. Carress of Steel is harder to come by. Think I'll go with the live one.
As long as you eventually get Caress of Steel.  Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth are brilliant

wolof7

I plan on it...it's interesting that that album has had somewhat of a resurgance amongst RUSH fans as of late from what I've observed.

Also just cancelled my next appt partially to get paperwork done, mostly because I want to listen to Farewell to Kings! So i am now sequestered in my office doing just that :thumbsup:

wolof7

New update regarding the progress of the new album from Classic Rock Presents Prog Magazine:

"It's been quite weird because we've never really taken so long and interrupted a writing process so many times,' he states. 'We have about six songs finished and waiting to go into pre-production and then be recorded.  We've been kind of afraid to go back to them, because we don't want to start fucking around with them, we liked them at the time...Alex and I tried to do some writing on this break.' Geddy continues. 'We've had three months, so we thought "Okay, so maybe we should get all of the rest of the record finished"...but Neil just had a baby last year and he needed to use that time to be a dad and to be domestic, and he didn't want to uproot and get into this intense writing session, and that was totally cool. So Alex and I have been getting together regularly and jamming, and now we have a lot of good material just lying around in suspended animation...We're going in a conceptual direction on this record, for sure..We started with a 10-minute song idea that then turned into a concept and it's feeding off itself. It's like that question that Steven Colbert asked us in the movie. "Are your songs so long that by the end you're influencing yourself?" I think we're doing that now. We're like a feedback loop, influencing ourselves now. We're spending so much time on this concept. It's been fun, because we haven't gone down that road in a while. Let's see if we can pull it off!'" - Geddy

Neil Peart also discusses the frustration in delaying Clockwork Angels to tour:

"'It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can.'...

Also love this Geddy quote:

"The one great thing about Rush is that the three of us are stupidly fearless."

And it looks like Wolof has finally got that old time feeling!

Ruckus

Nice!  Long concept songs please.

Only stupidly fearless can produce rapping skeletons, reggae Working Man, and The Speed of Love ;D

Tracy 2112

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages

Grace Under Pressure (I'm a Grace Under Pressure freak; I love it)
Caress of Steel (definently ahead of the next 2 and a pillar for sounds to come)
Power Windows (I go back to this more often than HYF; consistenly stronger)
Hold Your Fire (Love Force 10 and Time Stand Stll, but I lose interest after that)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Bluefluff

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 28, 2011, 08:00 PM

Wow! I have to show that my fan mates at the german rush forum, they like a good drink... :D

Anyway, I really like Rush, I will see them in a few weeks in Frankfurt/Main and I hope they will play that funny opening films again with Alex in a fatsuit, Neil as a police man and Geddy as a Restaurant owner ;D
...open your mouth, here comes the spoon...

Ruckus

Quote from: Bluefluff on May 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 28, 2011, 08:00 PM

Wow! I have to show that my fan mates at the german rush forum, they like a good drink... :D

Anyway, I really like Rush, I will see them in a few weeks in Frankfurt/Main and I hope they will play that funny opening films again with Alex in a fatsuit, Neil as a police man and Geddy as a Restaurant owner ;D
Wie gehts Bluefluff?  Ich sah RUSH vor drei Wochen. Sie spielten die RASH Film dann.

Ist das richtig? ;D

Ruckus

Tracy and Wolof...will see you there.  Wanna split a room? 8)
http://www.rushcon.org/

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Randall

Quote from: Ruckus on May 05, 2011, 12:31 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on May 05, 2011, 12:27 PM

Albums I do not have:

RUSH
Carress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Feedback

Live:
All the World's a Stage
A Show of Hands
Different Stages
I love this thread!

As long as you eventually get Caress of Steel.  Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth are brilliant
I'm not a huge RUSH fan, but my friend is.  He played Caress of Steel for me one night around 1995 when I had a particularly nice chemical mix in the old bloodstream.  Pretty trippy album - It was easy to imagine that I was in a Tolkien book.

bumble

Very nice to see some Rush fans on this forum.  They inspired me to play music when I was young and I still play today.  In high school and college I played drums in what was basically a Rush trib band.  It was so fun to play those parts.  Just last year I played LVS at a party with my ol' guitarist and present bass player and it was the best.  I don't really care much for 90's rush but I don't begrudge 'em for evolving.  Hopefully fans will give MMJ some of the same slack in the future.  Gotta keep movin forward.  Change is necessary.