Main Menu

RUSH

Started by wolof7, Mar 09, 2011, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucylew

Neil Peart drum clinic on David Letterman tonight.

Ruckus

Quote from: lucylew on Jun 09, 2011, 11:17 PM
Neil Peart drum clinic on David Letterman tonight.
Thanks Lucy.  Watching now. 
I now know I can go to Bumble for drum lessons. ;) :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bumble

I lost power last night at 8 pm and it didn't come back on til after midnight.  I missed the performance on Letterman.  Pretty bummed. 
Btw - already teaching my two nephews.  The 12 year old already quit hockey and now plays drums 24/7!  Workin on Limelight this week.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bumble on Jun 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
I lost power last night at 8 pm and it didn't come back on til after midnight.  I missed the performance on Letterman.  Pretty bummed. 

:)

Neil Peart Drum Solo on Letterman.6/9/2011
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

bumble

Thanks Tracy!  I love the moment in the middle of the solo where he freezes and is thinkin, "what next?"  Its just a split second but cutting the solo down to that length made him pause.  He is not a robot after all. 
My nephews got me a ticket to see them in hershey park in April as a thank you for giving them lessons.  A week before the show my 10 year old daughter comes home from school with an invitation to a "Daddy Daughter Dance on the same night.  So I missed it.......the show not the dance.
I have seen Rush 17 times between 87-04 but that was my first dance w/my daughter.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bumble on Jun 10, 2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Tracy!  I love the moment in the middle of the solo where he freezes and is thinkin, "what next?"  Its just a split second but cutting the solo down to that length made him pause.  He is not a robot after all. 
My nephews got me a ticket to see them in hershey park in April as a thank you for giving them lessons.  A week before the show my 10 year old daughter comes home from school with an invitation to a "Daddy Daughter Dance on the same night.  So I missed it.......the show not the dance.
I have seen Rush 17 times between 87-04 but that was my first dance w/my daughter.

Great story. My first show was in 1981 and I caught them in April here in Nashville. I converted my wife into a Rush fan (it took about 7 years) and she said she wasn't impressed with Limelight this time (our 3rd Rush show together), she felt they played it too slow. I was so proud of her feedback! She's come a long way since I held her down on the floor of my apartment and made her listen to Camera Eye in its entirety when we were dating.  ;)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

I just watched the episode of Trailer Park Boys when they go to a Rush concert and Bubbles gets to be the guitar tech. Good times.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

lucylew

Two weeks til Rush in Concord.  Their tour dates line up nicely with MMJs on the west coast - the night after MMJ in Vancouver BC and of course the Gorge on 7/2 so we may add some shows.  I can't wait.

I have to say, I think it's pretty cool that I turned my husband on to Rush!

Ruckus

Anyone watching or DVR'ing RUSH Hashanah on VH1?!  Can't wait to watch TIME MACHINE!

wolof7

Definitely gonna try and catch that!

Plus there's this:

Rush.com has provided the following press release; not only will Rush release the Time Machine concert film on November 8th on both DVD and Blu-Ray, but also a CD companion of the show as well as separate release for Moving Pictures: Live 2011.  In addition, the concert film will also have a theatrical showing starting October 26th:

"Legendary rock band Rush has announced details for various releases from their wildly successful Time Machine Tour. On November 8, Rush will simultaneously release TIME MACHINE 2011: LIVE IN CLEVELAND's full concert on Blu-Ray/DVD complete with bonus material. The audio companion is on a 2-CD set, and MOVING PICTURES: LIVE 2011 will be on vinyl and in digital formats. Captured in April at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena during the renowned trio's extensive Time Machine World Tour, TIME MACHINE 2011: LIVE IN CLEVELAND marks the band's first live album recorded at a show in the United States, and it's a deliberate nod of gratitude to the first city to support Rush on its radio airwaves. The wildly popular tour featured a set filled with classic hits, fan favorites, and a glimpse into Rush's forthcoming 20th studio album Clockwork Angels due out in Spring 2012. As a centerpiece for the concerts, the band performed their landmark album Moving Pictures live in its entirety--a first in the band's long and illustrious career. Rave reviews of the tour included The Hollywood Reporter's declaration that "the current Time Machine jaunt is nothing less than a must see...for nearly three hours, with intermission, Rush proved why it remains among rock's elite live acts."

Originally released in 1981, this year marks the 30th anniversary of Moving Pictures, which features some of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neal Peart's most well-known songs like "Tom Sawyer," "Limelight," and "YYZ." In addition to the 26-song concert set, TIME MACHINE 2011: LIVE IN CLEVELAND will include the band's notorious concept tour videos The "Real" History of Rush Episode No. 2 "Don't Be Rash" and The "Real" History of Rush Episode No. 17 "...and Rock and Roll is my name." The bonus material features outtakes from the short films, an alternate film version video for "Tom Sawyer," and two rare pieces of Rush live footage from the '70's vault: "Need Some Love" from Laura Second Secondary School with original drummer John Rutsey, and "Anthem" from Passaic New Jersey.

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

To clarify bc I was confused, according to many sources there will be 2 separate audio releases

1) Vinyl: Rush - Moving Pictures Live 2011 (Moving Pictures only)
2) 2-CD: Rush - Live in Cleveland (Whole Show)

Ruckus

Gonna watch Time Machine tonight after the baseball ends.  It sucks because VH1Classic isn't HD on Directv.  Oh well

Ruckus

Time Machine was excellent.  There were a number of repeat songs from some earlier movies but that was to be expected.  I loved how much they emphasized Geddy's playing in this one, zooming in frquently during his improv runs.

The closing Working Man jam was straight mind blowing (yes it was the reggae version).  Lifeson was actually shredding from a deep power stance!

johnnYYac

From Rolling Stone (Issue 1144, Nov. 24, 2011):

"In the Studio"
Rush's 20th LP, Clockwork Angels, due in 2012.

"Reviews - Music"
Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleavland (3.5 stars)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MMJ_fanatic

I just submitted the Sectors 1, 2, & 3 boxes, along with the blu rays of Beyond The Lighted Stage and Time Machine as my Christmas wish list  :thumbsup:

P.S.--these guys are back in the center of my radar thanks to satellite radio playing "La Villa Strangiato" as I was cruising around on errands--forgot what an EXCELLENT piece of instrumental contortionism this is!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

wolof7

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Nov 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
I just submitted the Sectors 1, 2, & 3 boxes, along with the blu rays of Beyond The Lighted Stage and Time Machine as my Christmas wish list  :thumbsup:

P.S.--these guys are back in the center of my radar thanks to satellite radio playing "La Villa Strangiato" as I was cruising around on errands--forgot what an EXCELLENT piece of instrumental contortionism this is!

Excellent  :thumbsup:.....hope you get all that stuff MMJ F and yes La Villa owns my face.

Just grabbed their new live album which is a really decent document of their last tour....the major complaint of most fans with this album is Geddy's voice, which in all respects, shoulda been gone a long time ago....still, to hear how he uses it as he ages is a testament to him....I feel it doesn't retract from the Time Machine album rather adds to Geddy's charm...plus anyone could grab their other live albums if they want to hear him in his prime

Ruckus

Wolof - "really decent document" ;D

Ya know, even if it's standard practice in the industry, all these repackaged rereleases just rub you the wrong way when it's your favorite band.  As for Time Machine, I'm gonna give it a listen before justifying the vinyl.  How many more ways can they release what they've already released? ;D

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rush-subdivisions,65079/

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 15, 2011, 03:18 PM
Wolof - "really decent document" ;D

Ya know, even if it's standard practice in the industry, all these repackaged rereleases just rub you the wrong way when it's your favorite band.  As for Time Machine, I'm gonna give it a listen before justifying the vinyl.  How many more ways can they release what they've already released? ;D

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rush-subdivisions,65079/

haha yeah i'm done with words...I wouldn't call it great though, I would definitely take a listen before pulling the vinyl trigger.

great article.

Jaimoe

This fucking rocks hard. The early versions of "Working Man" are about as heavy as Rush ever got. Check out original drummer, the late John Rutsey. He's great here.

Rush Working Man Original Drummer John Rutsey 1974 Live!

wolof7

Very happy to finally announce the announcement of Clockwork Angels. Feels like they've been working on this album for yrs even though it's only been 2 with a massive 1 yr tour in between.

Anyhow, it's coming out June 12th

First single: Headlong Flight will premiere on radio and I'm assuming all digital media outlets next week on April 19th

Tour info for a N. American fall tour most likely to come next week as well

here is the run down w/ teaser trailer and song snippet: http://www.jambase.com/Articles/91225/Rush-New-Album

here is the tracklist:
1. Caravan
2. BU2B
3. Clockwork Angels
4. The Anarchist
5. Carnies
6. Halo Effect
7. Seven Cities Of Gold
8. The Wreckers
9. Headlong Flight
10. BU2B2
11. Wish Them Well
12. The Garden

here is the cover art:

Crispy, Ruckus, Tracy 2112, Jaimoe, others....who's with me!?!?!?!!!!