2011 Forum Fantasy Baseball

Started by pawpaw, Mar 21, 2011, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Quote from: Walts on Mar 08, 2011, 12:47 AM
The draft is Wednesday the 23rd at 8:30 eastern. If the time doesn't work let us know as soon as you can.

Anyways, here's the info...

Yahoo, League ID: 136026, Password: baseball

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinprivateleague_league_select?.scrumb=

Check out the baseball thread! Sign up soon! Don't be shy!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

I was trying not to get into a second baseball league this year.  It's just too much!   But if nobody takes you up on this by the end of tomorrow, I'll do it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Mar 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
I was trying not to get into a second baseball league this year.  It's just too much!   But if nobody takes you up on this by the end of tomorrow, I'll do it.
Is that a preemptive excuse?   I thought that was a trait unique to Cubs fans.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 21, 2011, 06:25 PM
Quote from: BH on Mar 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
Is that a preemptive excuse?   I thought that was a trait unique to Cubs fans.

Touche'! ;D   Don't worry, if I'm in, I will clean house.   ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

Hey people. Paypal me your $20 by the sixth week.

hermeshat@hotmail.com
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

pawpaw

Hey aMD. I'll paypal you $20 by the sixth week.

I think Ruckus requested a thread for this league, and I think it's probably a good idea...consolidate the trash talking and whatnot.

I've got some other pitching questions...

So, we start 8 pitchers each week. What are your ideas on a good mix of SPs to RPs for the starting 8, considering the stats that our league scores? I wish I would've asked this before the draft... :-\ Also, how much value do you guys think that solid middle relief and set-up guys have in our league?

aMillionDreams

bbill, our league allows for daily updates so just make sure the starters you want to start are in on the day they are starting, if that makes sense.

Middle relievers have minimal value in our league, although arthur rhodes did help with my ERA, Ks, and Whip last year.

Ruckus

To add to what aMD wrote, you can start the maximum number of pitchers per day and can change your pitchers everyday as you so choose.  The fact that losses is a category makes pitching tricky because theoretically, you could trot out premium middle relievers and closers with maybe one or two starts chucked in (just to hit the inning limit) and you would claim saves, whip, era and losses a majority of the time.  In that sense, great middle relievers can have a great impact if you choose that rout.  Again, if you were to do that, one likely would have drafted a lot of offense early and avoided drafting too many starters.  I don't think having one stud middle reliever would have much impact in a head to head format.

Or you can trot out a bunch of starters to capture wins and K's with a good amount of closers to get saves but you are left with the challenge of avoiding losses and a ballooning WHIP.  A good balance with stud pitchers is always the best bet. :)

Bitching Alert:
I should have checked the rules earlier.  Man Walts!  A 60 move limit and max limit of 3 moves per week?!  Kinda punishes good managers and rewards apathy no?  Complete games as a category is kind of a crap shoot too that has too huge an impact I think.  It's so important to have a Halladay or Sabathia or Hernandez type. >:(  Booooooooo!

Let's Do This!  Good Luck! :-*

pawpaw

Thanks for the explanations, dudes.

I placed a low priority on RPs during the draft, and then started second guessing myself this morning when I saw the rosters some of you guys put together. Not having done a fantasy baseball league before, I'm just not sure what to expect with the scoring week to week, I guess.

I think my team's pretty solid though, and can't wait to whoop Ruckus week 1. One week till Opening Day!

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 24, 2011, 03:10 PM

Bitching Alert:
I should have checked the rules earlier.  Man Walts!  A 60 move limit and max limit of 3 moves per week?!  Kinda punishes good managers and rewards apathy no?  Complete games as a category is kind of a crap shoot too that has too huge an impact I think.  It's so important to have a Halladay or Sabathia or Hernandez type. >:(  Booooooooo!

Let's Do This!  Good Luck! :-*

Turn that frown upside down.  :-*

What about my boy Carl Pavano? He had 7 of them thangs (CG). But CG are why guys like Halladay, Sabathia, Pavano, and Hernandez are the elite pitchers that they are. I could raise the move limit, but not the weekly move limit. I'd actually rather have 2 moves per week. I don't think anyone should ever use more than 3 a week. The only time people do use more than 3 is when they're playing desperate housewife baseball. You know the guy. The guy who guts his team just to win, but since you have a good team you're unable to clean house. It's kinda sad. It's pathetic that people use their players like a game of musical chairs, just because they have shitty players. They have no intention to keep them after the week, they'll just do it all over again. I'll raise the season pickup total to 75, but I don't see anyone reaching it.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

The DARK

Walts, is there any reasonable category that could give middle relievers and longmen some value? Holds, perhaps, or was that not an option?
In another time, in another place, in another face

.Walt

Quote from: The DARK on Mar 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
Walts, is there any reasonable category that could give middle relievers and longmen some value? Holds, perhaps, or was that not an option?

Holds are an option, but it's probably too late for it since we drafted already. I like to keep the pitchers and hitters categories the same amount. Like Ruckus and aMD said relievers do have some value. There are so many good RP out there. They're win vultures and rarely get loses. Take your boy Chapman. If he makes 3 appearances, he'll probably pitch 4 or so innings. He'll get 6+ strikeouts, lower your ERA, and maybe get a win. That's better than most SP that only pitches one game that week. But we can absolutely think about doing it next year. Maybe we'll take out CG and replace it with Holds.

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

aMillionDreams

I like the idea of holds over CG, but not after the draft.  Actually I like CGs as a stat, maybe just add Holds, but not at this point. I would've drafted differently. Next year, perhaps...

Ruckus

Sorry about bringing up categories post draft.  Jeez guys, I'm just being a little passive/aggressive. ::) ;D

@Walts - I think the move limit per week isn't about people hating on their team.  I typically play in deeper leagues (12-16 teams) in roto format and it's all about adding and dropping the potential next sleeper.  I know in this league, every team is an all star team so...Plus in h2h format, if my pitching staff is depleted, I love the stress, risk/reward of streaming mediocre pitchers in favorable matchups.  I know in the playoffs the last two years, I think I streamed multiple pitchers each week because I had moves saved up and you didn't have a moves limit per week.  It was easier to do that because IP was a category.  Now that it isn't, way more risky anyways.

Seems like everyone drafted pretty well.  Braden, you got a damn fine looking team.  Bring it!

.Walt

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry about bringing up categories post draft.  Jeez guys, I'm just being a little passive/aggressive. ::) ;D

@Walts - I think the move limit per week isn't about people hating on their team.  I typically play in deeper leagues (12-16 teams) in roto format and it's all about adding and dropping the potential next sleeper.  I know in this league, every team is an all star team so...Plus in h2h format, if my pitching staff is depleted, I love the stress, risk/reward of streaming mediocre pitchers in favorable matchups.  I know in the playoffs the last two years, I think I streamed multiple pitchers each week because I had moves saved up and you didn't have a moves limit per week.  It was easier to do that because IP was a category.  Now that it isn't, way more risky anyways.

Seems like everyone drafted pretty well.  Braden, you got a damn fine looking team.  Bring it!

Yeah, with roto I could see people dumping players all the time. Which is why I'm not a fan of it. I had a move limit of 3 last year, but since we did roto it wouldn't let me do weekly pickups. What I like about head to head is that it's your team against my team. Not your team plus 8 pickups to win total bases, k, wins...etc. Especially in the playoffs. Yeah, it could blow up in your in face, but from what I've seen it usually doesn't. Plus, I like it when you have to think about using your pickups. It gives value to each one of your moves which is why I had it at a total of 60, but I really would've liked it at 50.

pawpaw

Is there a droid app for yahoo fantasy baseball?

Ruckus

Quote from: bbill on Mar 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
Is there a droid app for yahoo fantasy baseball?
As far as I know there isn't.  You can still make lineup changes daily on ur phone but u have to change the format from drag and drop to classic.  An ass kickin app sure would be nice

Ruckus

I believe that Opening Day should be a national holiday!  To a great season guys :beer:

Good luck handling My Eggroll and Dumplings

darkglow

the app for iphone is flawless.. i edited my starters on yahoo fantasy today and it was a breeze!

my first opponent to hand defeat to is aMD. here's to a good start of the weekend. so glad opening day is on friday! throw some meat on the grill after work and kick back!