Favorite records of 2011 so far....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaqueta sucia

For me there are currently 4 with many more to come......

1) Go Go Boots by DBTs

2) S/T by Middle Brother

3) Smart Flesh by The Low Anthem

4) Kiss Each Other Clean by Iron and Wine

obviously MMJ will be on this list soon and I also feel The Felice Brothers new one Celebration, Florida will be on my list too.

wolof7

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Apr 06, 2011, 10:37 AM

1) Go Go Boots by DBTs

2) S/T by Middle Brother

obviously MMJ will be on this list soon and I also feel The Felice Brothers new one Celebration, Florida will be on my list too.

WElcome to the board Chaqueta! You have some great musical tastes  :thumbsup:.

Can you say more about the Felice Brothers new one? I am a huge fan and have been wondering if they had a new one in the works. I know they released that Road Mix/ White tape (name?) at shows last year but I understood that to be demos/EP or a toss-off release. I have heard nothing of Celebration thus far.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 06, 2011, 09:09 AM
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears -  Scandalous
J. Mascis - Several Shades Of Why
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo
R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now
Low Anthem - Smart Flesh

Most Disappointing anthing DBT related...Go Go Boots and Isbell's album..really disappointed in both.
Finally someone else diggin' on Scandalous, still my fave of the year.  Mmm Booty City....such a nicer place than Zip City.

Had I theoretically listened to the new Fleet Foxes, it would be #3 behind BJL&THB and Pharoahe Monche.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

chaqueta sucia

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 06, 2011, 11:06 AM

1) Go Go Boots by DBTs

2) S/T by Middle Brother

Can you say more about the Felice Brothers new one? I am a huge fan and have been wondering if they had a new one in the works. I know they released that Road Mix/ White tape (name?) at shows last year but I understood that to be demos/EP or a toss-off release. I have heard nothing of Celebration thus far.

Thank you for the words......yes their new album is out May 10th.  Here is the track listing

Fire At The Pageant     
Container Ship     
Honda Civic     
Oliver Stone     
Ponzi     
Back In The Dancehalls     
Dallas     
Cus's Catskill Gym     
Refrain     
Best I Ever Had     
River Jordan 

on their website they have Ponzi to listen to.  It is a bit different kind of poppy but I dig it.  They have been a fav band of mine over the years.  Yonder is the Clock is one of my fav albums in the last 10 years.

Here is a bit more.....

"Celebration, Florida casts interweaving scenes of dreamy characters and stories, including: a young girl who crimps her hair and spies her dead father driving down the road (the cinematic, roaring "Fire at the Pageant"); shady degenerates who get lost in a mystery surrounding a car (the clamorous groove and carnival horns of "Honda Civic"); a Wall Street scandal hits a little too close to home (the climactic, thunderous synth/sample/drum machine-laden "Ponzi"); and a late night host recounting his rise to fame for his honeybee while traveling in a private jet (the elegantly melancholic, rickety gait of "Dallas")."

Penny Lane

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 06, 2011, 11:06 AM

1) Go Go Boots by DBTs

2) S/T by Middle Brother

Celebration, Florida is coming out 5/10..the 4 or 5 tracks i've heard sound really good, different, not as folky
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 06, 2011, 11:21 AM
Low Anthem - Smart Flesh

Most Disappointing anthing DBT related...Go Go Boots and Isbell's album..really disappointed in both.
Finally someone else diggin' on Scandalous, still my fave of the year.  Mmm Booty City....such a nicer place than Zip City.

Had I theoretically listened to the new Fleet Foxes, it would be #3 behind BJL&THB and Pharoahe Monche.

they remind me of the black keys--i am enjoying that album, too

bold992006

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 06, 2011, 11:21 AM
Low Anthem - Smart Flesh

Black Joe Lewis kills.  I think in general a lot of people don't listen to soul music anymore.  It is a shame because there is so much good stuff out there...Scandalous is a great record and even better live.

sweatboard

Well, I'm listening to Black Joe Lewis for the first time and....... HOLY SHIT!!!!!

I had no idea music like this was even still being made.

I love this thread, still need to check out  Low Anthem, PJ Harvey, Twilight Singers and Over The Rhine. 

My new top 5

1. Iron and Wine
2. Black Joe Lewis
3. Radiohead
4. Kurt Vile
5. J Mascis
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 06, 2011, 03:16 PM
Well, I'm listening to Black Joe Lewis for the first time and....... HOLY SHIT!!!!!

I love this thread, still need to check out  Low Anthem, PJ Harvey, Twilight Singers and Over The Rhine. 

My new top 5

1. Iron and Wine
2. Black Joe Lewis
3. Radiohead
4. Kurt Vile
5. J Mascis
His/their 1st album is a groovy good time as well.  Now go on and git your ham glazed 8)

I like both the Vile and Mascis albums as well.  The Vile one sits right on the cusp but I can't get myself to spin it over and over.

wolof7

Haven't heard Mascis yet, is it worthy for a more casual Dino Jr. fan?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 06, 2011, 03:55 PM

yes, i'm a casual D Jr fan and i like it more than most of their stuff--great songs

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 06, 2011, 03:55 PM

I think so.  Great songs, I enjoy J's voice more on this than on his electric stuff.  The guitar playing is subtle but brilliant.  Kurt Vile plays on it and the whole record just has a really nice vibe.  When J's electric does cut in during this record it's mindblowing.     

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 06, 2011, 03:44 PM

My new top 5

1. Iron and Wine
2. Black Joe Lewis
3. Radiohead
4. Kurt Vile
5. J Mascis
His/their 1st album is a groovy good time as well.  Now go on and git your ham glazed 8)

I like both the Vile and Mascis albums as well.  The Vile one sits right on the cusp but I can't get myself to spin it over and over.

Ha, I thought he was saying get your HAND glazed at first which would have been a little over the top.

Ghosts_on_TV

Didn't hear the new Black Joe Lewis yet but I love the first one.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 06, 2011, 05:00 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 06, 2011, 03:44 PM

My new top 5

1. Iron and Wine
2. Black Joe Lewis
3. Radiohead
4. Kurt Vile
5. J Mascis

Ha, I thought he was saying get your HAND glazed at first which would have been a little over the top.
Ahh yes, my friend and I had this same discussion rather inebriated this past weekend.  There is one verse where it sounds like hand.  This then devolved into a heated discussion over whether hand glazing or ham glazing should cost more.  We finished our cigars, went back inside, cranked the Honeybears and the night carried on.

bold99

My new top 5

1. Iron and Wine
2. Black Joe Lewis
3. Radiohead
4. Kurt Vile
5. J Mascis

Yes that type of music is still being made..and there is a lot of it that is good.  Check out Daptone Records also.  There is a ton of it out there.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

dragonboy

No love for Josh T?! The UK has been listening: http://www.joshtpearson.co.uk/and-the-word-became-flesh/

"It's a beautiful piece of writing set to music, flawless in its way... a modern classic." THE TIMES ★★★★★

"Pearson is an emotional potholer - and he's come back clutching diamonds" EVENING STANDARD ★★★★★ 

"stone cold masterpiece..." UNCUT ★★★★★ Album of the Month

"America's lost genius returns" MOJO ★★★★

"His solo debut is worth every second of the wait" Q ★★★★

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

He's on my list db. Just haven't ordered it yet.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Six Organs of Admittance - Asleep on the Floodplain
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
Radiohead - The King Of Limbs

As far as "Last Of The Country Gentlemen" goes, I really admire it, just don't enjoy listening to it as much as others released this year. It really is a great artistic achievement, and deserves the critical praise, but it's just not an album experience that I feel like I want to return to often.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ALady

That Josh T. Pearson reminds me a lot of J. Tillman, but the lyrics are a lot more raw/less dreamy.  That tune "Honeymoon's Great!  Wish You Were Her" tears my heart right out.

Of the 2011 releases so far, I've really only loved Destroyer - Kaputt, Charles Bradley - No Time for Dreaming, Braids Native Speaker, the Twilight Singers - Dynamite Steps and Disappears - Guider.  Nothing else has really thrown me for a loop or brought me back for repeated listens, but I still have a lot of listening to do. 
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires