Favorite records of 2011 so far....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimsloslider

Quote from: ALady on Apr 08, 2011, 01:39 PM
That Josh T. Pearson reminds me a lot of J. Tillman, but the lyrics are a lot more raw/less dreamy.  That tune "Honeymoon's Great!  Wish You Were Her" tears my heart right out.

Of the 2011 releases so far, I've really only loved Destroyer - Kaputt, Charles Bradley - No Time for Dreaming, Braids Native Speaker, the Twilight Singers - Dynamite Steps and Disappears - Guider.  Nothing else has really thrown me for a loop or brought me back for repeated listens, but I still have a lot of listening to do.

kaputt's definitely on my list. good call. bejar definitely walks to his own beat.
also:
tennis - cape dory - catchy as hell
middle brother - basically there's jim james, john mccauley iii, and then there's everyone else

mjk73

Elbow, Beady Eyes (yes it's good), Twilight Singers, Mogwai, The Go! Team, Kurt Vile

So far just those. I have a lot to wade through.

Sure to be on it: JT Pearson, Pokey LaFarge, Glasvegas, Fleet Foxes, Okkervil River, Felice Bros, Arctic Monkeys, MMJ, EITS

Need to get my hands on due to glowing reviews: The Vaccines, The Death Set, Anna Calvi

kotchishm

1. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
2. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
3. Starfucker - Reptillians
4. Cage The Elephant – Thank You, Happy Birthday
5. Telekinesis! - 12 Desperate Straight Lines

New MMJ and Bon Iver Albums will knock these 5 down by 2 slots.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ghosts_on_TV

I'm not too sure about the Kurt Vile. I mean, its ok....
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
I'm not too sure about the Kurt Vile. I mean, its ok....

If he would have cut out "peeping tomboy" it would be much better.  I can't stand that song, I think the others are great. 
There's Still Time.........

mjk73

Quote from: Darklands on Apr 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
Elbow, Beady Eyes (yes it's good), Twilight Singers, Mogwai, The Go! Team, Kurt Vile

So far just those. I have a lot to wade through.

Sure to be on it: JT Pearson, Pokey LaFarge, Glasvegas, Fleet Foxes, Okkervil River, Felice Bros, Arctic Monkeys, MMJ, EITS

Need to get my hands on due to glowing reviews: The Vaccines, The Death Set, Anna Calvi
Yep....add Anna Calvi to the best of list. Holy crap, what a voice.

dragonboy

Bill Callahan's Apocalypse is excellent...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ccc

RedPatokaSea

DaFunkyPrecedent

Best Of The Bunch

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Destroyer - Kaputt
Cave Singers - No Witch
The Antlers - Burst Apart
Willie Wright - Tellin The Truth (reissue)
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring Halo
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Time
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
God damn those shaky knees.

buaawwww

2011 faves so far?

Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee II
Motorhead - The World Is Yours (do not deny Lemmy... ever).
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Penny Lane

So far Middle Brother and Kurt Vile.....

just got Warren Haynes so I'm sure that will be up there!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

After one and a half listens, the new White Denim has easily shot to the top of my favorites list.  Much more refined then their last effort, they seamlessly integrate aspects of garage, punk, math rock, jam band, funk, country/folk and classic rock in a way that never seems disjointed.  To top it off, they strike a perfect balance between songwriting and musicianship.  Oh how I love their rhythm section!

Don't know how long it'll last but it is my first true AOTY candidate.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

kotchishm

Gotta Update:

1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
2. MMJ - Circuital
3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
4. The Decemberists - The King is Dead

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on May 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
After one and a half listens, the new White Denim has easily shot to the top of my favorites list.  Much more refined then their last effort, they seamlessly integrate aspects of garage, punk, math rock, jam band, funk, country/folk and classic rock in a way that never seems disjointed.  To top it off, they strike a perfect balance between songwriting and musicianship.  Oh how I love their rhythm section!

i hear a bit of apollo sunshine/akronfamily/blitzen tapper chaos in there ruckus, eehhh?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on May 27, 2011, 05:47 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on May 27, 2011, 12:31 PM

i hear a bit of apollo sunshine/akronfamily/blitzen tapper chaos in there ruckus, eehhh?
Absolutely Wolof.  Particularly track 5 reminds me of that frantic, layered tribal jam of Akron/Family that segues beautifully in the second half to a Don Caballeroesque mathy jam.

Definitely some moments that bring to mind early Blitzen Trapper as well.  Track 4 screams Neil Young and Track 9 had me thinking a young Roger Daltrey was on the mic and so on.  So many sounds in one album that rocks.  What sets them apart is their musicianship to me.  There are some complex rhythmic aspects to a good number of those songs that make them even more exciting. 

An impressive album.  See you in the White Denim thread! ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

jacksoncooper

1. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
2. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
3. Ben Sollee - Inclusions
4. Ha Ha Tonka - Death of a Decade
5. Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'
6. Tune-Yards - Whokill

gardenparty

I haven't really checked out a ton but the ones that have stood out so far:
Bibio
Grouper
Low
Grails
MMJ
Middle Brother

mjk73

Quote from: jacksoncooper on May 28, 2011, 12:32 PM

Glad to see some love for Ha Ha Tonka. They ar fantastic.

Ghosts_on_TV

[quote author=Darklands link=topic=14116.msg259408#msg259408 date=1306954223]
Quote from: jacksoncooper on May 28, 2011, 12:32 PM

Glad to see some love for Ha Ha Tonka. They ar fantastic.
[/quote]

I just got this. It's pretty good.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...