Main Menu

Deadthread

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedwonder

Quote from: Jellyfish on Jun 14, 2016, 04:54 PM
I can't believe that Donna's voice could have gotten better over the years,what are these guys thinking bringing her back onstage?

She kept it cool and sounded just fine IMHO. That was about respect and unity. She deserved that opportunity for what she meant to the band and its history. Kudos to them for recognizing her and welcoming her into the fold.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

beardedwonder

Quote from: raheuer on Jun 14, 2016, 05:31 PM
i made it out to bonnaroo this year, and donna jean showing up may have been the most surreal moment of my life. i know a lot of people don't buy into her, but hot damn, if that wasn't the best show i had ever been to!

Ive been rewatching/relistening to this show the past 48 hours non stop. The magic is back and its legit. I believe Bonnaroo signified a major dynamic shift with this band and its fans and haters alike. 
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

raheuer

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jun 15, 2016, 12:13 AM
Quote from: raheuer on Jun 14, 2016, 05:31 PM
i made it out to bonnaroo this year, and donna jean showing up may have been the most surreal moment of my life. i know a lot of people don't buy into her, but hot damn, if that wasn't the best show i had ever been to!

Ive been rewatching/relistening to this show the past 48 hours non stop. The magic is back and its legit. I believe Bonnaroo signified a major dynamic shift with this band and its fans and haters alike. 

I couldn't have said it better myself!
It's DON FREAKIN DANTE by My Morning Jacket, just chill the hell out and listen!

MOWJO8185

Just for some different perspective on Dead & Company - I can understand that for people who followed the band back in the day, that there will never be a replacement for the magic captured onstage with Jerry. But myself - I was born in 1985 and so by the time I came into my own as far as music, I missed the Grateful Dead as an act. As a result, I really never listened to them.

Embarrassingly enough, given what most people think of him, I'm a John Mayer fan. It's wayyy outside of where my typical tastes lie (my top 5 bands are MMJ, Wilco, The National, Pearl Jam, and Tame Impala). Like everyone else, I pretty much cringe every time he opens his mouth to speak, but I am just really impressed with the way he plays guitar. Continuum is an amazing album, and for me, Born & Raised is the best thing he's done.

But anyways, his venture with Dead & Company has brought the Dead music to my ears for the first time. And not only have I enjoyed hearing John play that type of music, but it has inspired me to explore the Grateful Dead's own catalog. And I've been bit... hard. I'm currently running through their entire discography. Have listened to the proper releases during their existence and am going through all the retrospective live albums now, including the Dick's Picks. Just so much great music, and so much magic caught on stage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I get that people who have been fans for a longer amount of time not being a fan of Dead & Company and maybe "butchering" some classic songs. But this act is bringing Dead music to a new generation, and people are discovering it for the first time, and in my mind, that is only an awesome thing.

Varitek

That's a great perspective and I agree with much of it. I was fortunate to see a fair amount of late eighties, early nineties GD shows and also witnessed some genuinely sad performances by the big guy toward the end.
        Regardless of virtuosic merits or talent, some of these Dead and Co shows have just been energetic and a nice reflection on how much fun Dead shows could be. I feel like the Fare Thee Well run last year wound up being a reunion of sorts for the old guard and now this Dead and Co tour is bringing this music to a group that could care less about what once was and is more interested in what it is right now.
"Did he just put on a cape?"

beardedwonder

I only got to see the GD twice in my early twenties and late in Jerry's days. 94 & 95.

Those two shows, while fun and quite the experience, were a far cry from what I heard on my tapes growing up. The stage by that time had become somber.

This past week I went to two Dead & Co shows. SPAC and Hartford. The band is having so much fun. They are playful, energetic and revived. Its amazing. Don't get me wrong this is not the Grateful Dead. Especially not 1970-92 GD. Mayer is not Pigpen or Jerry. But he doesn't have to be. He's an amazing guitarist and is putting in some time and only getting better with every show.

Talking to and studying many old Heads these past few months. The ones who can accept the reality, can accept Mayer and can move on are the ones enjoying the ride the most and have the biggest smiles. I for one am catching any show I can.

If anyone is looking for a show to listen. I suggest the 2nd night from Citifield NY from last weekend.

Jellyfish

I am sorry but this shit sucks and is pissing me off...that being said I am glad everyone is having a good time,not trying to be a joykill.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

beardedwonder

Both Boulder, Colorado shows streaming via Sirius radio. Tonight and tomorrow. The boys are sounding tight!! Not even Jellyfishes saltiness can ruin this steam. Jam on!!!

jcc0065

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 02, 2016, 10:21 PM
Both Boulder, Colorado shows streaming via Sirius radio. Tonight and tomorrow. The boys are sounding tight!! Not even Jellyfishes saltiness can ruin this steam. Jam on!!!

Watching it, man were those versions of Rain and Snow and UJB clean!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crispy

I got to see both of the Boulder shows with Soulshine! Absolutely brilliant.

"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

beardedwonder

Awesome Crispy & Soulshine!!

I listened to those shows on Sirius. These boys are gettin hot! Such an unreal opportunity to see live Dead. I'll be headed to both Fenway shows and maybe Pitt prior.

FYI - John Mayer is Dead to me 😎😜

Crispy

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 05, 2016, 10:35 AM
Awesome Crispy & Soulshine!!

I listened to those shows on Sirius. These boys are gettin hot! Such an unreal opportunity to see live Dead. I'll be headed to both Fenway shows and maybe Pitt prior.

FYI - John Mayer is Dead to me 😎😜

Perfect!  :beer:

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 05, 2016, 10:04 AM

:cool:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Great pic and always great to see some Camp Crispy Counselors out and rocking some shows together!  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Crispy

Quote from: ericm on Jul 05, 2016, 02:55 PM

:cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great pic and always great to see some Camp Crispy Counselors out and rocking some shows together!  :beer:

Right on! Bonus: I went back to the cabin to retrieve those items I couldn't take back on the plane after Red Rocks, such as a particular great bottle of bourbon.  :thumbsup:

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 05, 2016, 03:07 PM

Right on! Bonus: I went back to the cabin to retrieve those items I couldn't take back on the plane after Red Rocks, such as a particular great bottle of bourbon.  :thumbsup:

Haha. Nice one!  :beer: I knew you'd find a way and seeing the Dead with Jen, and another trip to the cabin was a great way to do it.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Crispy

Quote from: jcc0065 on Jul 02, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 02, 2016, 10:21 PM

Watching it, man were those versions of Rain and Snow and UJB clean!!!!!

Those two were some of the sweetest jams, and right off the bat! And if you listened to both nights or have seen the setlists, you know there was much more sweetness to follow. Besides the obvious choices, Let It Grow on night 2 was also really special.

Soulshine

Quote from: ericm on Jul 05, 2016, 04:17 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jul 05, 2016, 03:07 PM

Haha. Nice one!  :beer: I knew you'd find a way and seeing the Dead with Jen, and another trip to the cabin was a great way to do it.  :thumbsup:

Perfect weekend!!! Shit got real and shit got weird, as it should be.  :cool: :kiss: :beer:
Because we're all in this together...

beardedwonder

Fenway Night 1 Set 2. Etched in my mind forever. Possibly the greatest set of live music I have seen in person. Dead&Co are the best live act out right now IMHO.

Crispy

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 17, 2016, 11:08 PM
Fenway Night 1 Set 2. Etched in my mind forever. Possibly the greatest set of live music I have seen in person. Dead&Co are the best live act out right now IMHO.

Great! I had a similar experience in Boulder, where the second set on the first night was the pinnacle of awesomeness. To use the immortal words of Soulshine, they "blew my dick off."  :grin:

APR

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jul 17, 2016, 11:08 PM

That's awesome.