Main Menu

Deadthread

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Sorry, but I searched and searched for the original Grateful Dead thread (it rhymes!) to no avail. 

Free download on Dead.net-

http://www.dead.net/features/exclusive-april-17-1972-download?eml=dn/032911/downloadbutton

He's Gone: 4/17/72 Copenhagen, Denmark

This is the first-ever live performance of He's Gone by the Grateful Dead, although you couldn't tell by the confidence of this version. You'll notice that the "Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange..." bridge is absent here, as it had not yet been incorporated into the song. It was added to the song later in the tour.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EasyRyder

Glad you revived this one, Johnny!! It's cool to hear this tune played in it's first incarnation....

I was too young to see the GD when they were still around, but I caught the "Dead" in Greensboro for the '09 Spring tour on Easter Sunday. The gang + Warren played "He's Gone " with some serious umph and nostalgia.

In that setting/place/time/situation it was a tear jerker...in any case, I'm glad Deadheads have a place on the forum again  :bath:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

Glad to oblige.

Sorry you missed Jerry, but John Kadlecik from DSO did a fine job filling his shoes for the Furthur shows I saw. 

Not that anyone can replace Jerry.

Same ol' rat in a drain ditch
Caught on a limb
You know better
But I know him

Like I told you
What I said
STEAL YOUR FACE
RIGHT OFF YOUR HEAD!

tdb810

Love the name.....a great one to revive!  Thanks JY.
.....Back at the Model Home

johnnYYac

Tell me about your first time.   ;)

I'll go first.

Worcester, MA 1984-10-08
The Centrum

Some of my favs are boldfaced.

Set 1

Iko Iko, Beat It On Down The Line, Candyman, CC Rider, Bird Song, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication-> Deal

Set 2

Terrapin Station-> Samson & Delilah-> I I Just Want To Make Love To You To You-> I Need A Miracle-> Drums-> Truckin'-> Wharf Rat-> Not Fade Away, E: U.S. Blues

Me and two buds, very  :o and we taped the show on a Walkman's built-in stereo mics.  This archive version sounds SO much better, but I still like to hear myself giggle when I was 17 by listening to my old cassette recording.

http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/gd1984-10-08.110008.beyer-senn-daweez.D5scott.flac16

woodnymph

I did mention in another Dead-themed thread that I've got the original thread saved on my hard drive, so def. let me know if you can't find something that was once posted on the old board!!

In other Dead related news, one of my best friends works at the Peterson Events Center in Pitt where Further is playing tomorrow  and she's telling me about all the organic foods and drinks they're requesting.... talk about a job I want!!  Organic grocery buyer for the Dead  ;D

Pretty bummed to miss the show there tomorrow... but a friend pulled through with Further tix in ATL at the Fox Theater next Sunday, and my new job is letting me start next Tuesday!  Ayeeee I need me some dancin in the streets!   

Oh nice first show, JY!! Lucky duck!!!!  :o :o  Nice bold-faced selects too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

EasyRyder

Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
I did mention in another Dead-themed thread that I've got the original thread saved on my hard drive, so def. let me know if you can't find something that was once posted on the old board!!

In other Dead related news, one of my best friends works at the Peterson Events Center in Pitt where Further is playing tomorrow  and she's telling me about all the organic foods and drinks they're requesting.... talk about a job I want!!  Organic grocery buyer for the Dead  ;D

Pretty bummed to miss the show there tomorrow... but a friend pulled through with Further tix in ATL at the Fox Theater next Sunday, and my new job is letting me start next Tuesday!  Ayeeee I need me some dancin in the streets!   

Oh nice first show, JY!! Lucky duck!!!!  :o :o  Nice bold-faced selects too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gaa! So jealous of your Furthur tickets in Hotlanta!! I mean....I'm happy for you  ;) I passed up tickets because I have to be monastically studious that weekend. I got the chance to see 'em on the first tour at the Tabernacle in ATL and they lit the place up, so I'm sure they will do that and then some at the "fabulous" Fox!

I wanted to pose a question to the Deadheads who were luckier than me to see the GD live: I've read several times on the board here (JohnnYYac comes to mind) that the Jacket is one of the only bands out there whose energy and live experience compare to that which was the Dead's.

What is it that connects live Dead shows with MMJ shows? A feeling or vibe emitted the audience/the band itself etc etc...?
I'd appreciate your opinions very much, as both of these bands have been inexplicably formative in my personal development, and I'm always trying to learn more!  :dankk2:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

walterfredo

I was lucky enough to catch about 80ish GD shows, 15ish Jerry band shows, and 1 (absolutely amazing) Garcia/Grisman show.  Being a GD fan, it paid to grow up Cali.  Sadly, I really can't stomach Further or any of the new incarnations.  My last Further experience was last September in Las Vegas.  75% of the show I found to be flat out embarrassing, 25% was really amazing.  I just don't think I can do it anymore, I find myself sad and missing the magic of what really was the good ole Grateful Dead.  Viva la Jerry!

I still listen to the music a ton.  Especially the Sirius GD channel, love it! 

I didn't see the GD until I was a senior in high school, but hit it really hard for the next several years before Jerry died in 1995. 

My first show...

05-24-92 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, Ca. (Sun)

1: Shakedown Street, Same Thing, Dire Wolf, Masterpiece, Loser, All Over Now, Foolish Heart

2: Eyes of the World> Samson and Delilah, So Many Roads, Long Way To Go Home> Corinna> Drumz> Last Time> Morning Dew E: Johnny B. Goode

I was hooked from the opening notes of Shakedown....seeing the crowd just go bezerk!

johnnYYac

Well, I got an earlier start than walterfredo but only saw about 20 GD shows (New England dates 1984-1989, Saratoga, Buffalo, Chapel Hill NC, etc.).  Also saw Jerry Band, Dylan and The (Grateful) Dead (w/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), The Dead w/Dylan and Robert Hunter (and Joan Osborne doing Jerry vocals), and of course Furthur.  I agree the post-Jerry stuff is underwhelming, but it was still nice to return to a version of the GD vibe.

After Jerry died, my interest in music faded.  I listened to A LOT of NPR, so I'd occasionally get some new music but it was mostly news/politics.  Got into a few bands and shows in the late 90's and 2000s (Sugar, Beck, Lenny Kravitz, Black Crows, Allman Bros., White Stripes), but it wasn't until May 2008 that my interest in music was fully reawakened by My Morning Jacket on Saturday Night Live.

Like Stan from American Dad, I immediately gobbled up their back catalog until EU came out.  My first show was the best live music experience in a LONG TIME.  It seems to just get better...

I can't say exactly what it is or how it connects to my being a Deadhead.  Perhaps it is the collaboration of musicians, the ensemble sound, the range from soft acoustic to hard and heavy rock, the community of cool people (though very different from the Deadhead scene), the curious lyrics, the magnetism of the leader (Jim and Jerry, but for very different reasons).  I don't really know. 

I just know it is and it is good.

walterfredo

you got some serious gems at that first show Johnny.  Beat it on Down the Line and Lazy Lightning>Supplication are both super rare.  Nice looking setlist. 

iLikeBeer

Thanks for making a new home for the Deadheads among us in this forum John!   8)

My first shows were at Richfield Colisem, Sept. 7th & 8th, 1990 and it was their first shows played after Brent's passing.  I had just started my sophomore year in college.  I had been a fan of the Dead since high school, but never had the chance to go see them live.

First Night's Setlist:

Cold Rain & Snow, Walkin' Blues, Ramble On Rose, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Althea, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song, Picasso Moon, U.S. Blues China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Truckin', Crazy Fingers-> Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Jam-> I Need A Miracle-> Black Peter-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

I saw them several more times usually when they would swing through Buckeye Lake, Deer Creek, and Pine Knob on their summer tours. 

My most epic show was my last show on June 6th 1995 at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh:

Set 1 Hell In A Bucket West L.A. Fadeaway Take Me To The River Candyman When I Paint My Masterpiece Bird Song The Promised Land Set 2 Rain Box Of Rain Samba In The Rain Looks Like Rain -> Terrapin Station -> Drums -> Space -> I Need A Miracle -> Standing On The Moon Encore Gloria

This run I bolded was something I will never forget.  It was a beautiful sunny evening as they blasted through the first set.  During the break, the skies began to darken and just as they ripped into the first chords of Rain to open the 2nd set, the skies let loose and the rains came down and it was just incredible.  And by the time they got to Terrapin, the stars were beginning to shine again!  Truly a face melting moment!   :D

johnnYYac

There is something funky about the Grateful Dead and the weather!  I was at a show in Saratoga where it "looked like rain" all day.  When Jerry struck the first chord of the night, clouds parted to reveal a bright, full moon that lit our way.  After the final note of the encore, the clouds engulfed the moon and we headed out in darkness.  Whew!

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 30, 2011, 02:22 PM
There is something funky about the Grateful Dead and the weather!  I was at a show in Saratoga where it "looked like rain" all day.  When Jerry struck the first chord of the night, clouds parted to reveal a bright, full moon that lit our way.  After the final note of the encore, the clouds engulfed the moon and we headed out in darkness.  Whew!

You sure it wasn't the acid? ;)

MMJ has a similar thing with Steam Engine and rain -- of course everybody knows about Thunderdome, but there was the time I saw them in Telluride. The day was mostly clear, but clouds were rolling in, and as soon as Steam Engine started, so did the rain. Naturally the rain stopped when the song did. Dylan can attest -- SPOOKY
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

woodnymph

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Mar 30, 2011, 02:02 PMAnd by the time they got to Terrapin, the stars were beginning to shine again!  Truly a face melting moment!   :D

Some rise..... some fall...... some climb.............  :D :D :D

walterfredo

http://furthur.net/forum/general-discussion/6282-hey-gang-?limit=20&start=60#6360

We're taking the first steps to make a long time dream- a permanent musical home- come true. We are purchasing a building in Marin, and plan on remodeling it to feel like an old barn; we 're calling it Terrapin Landing. We will continue with Furthur while making music at Terrapin Landing when we are at home.
The music will be varied, featuring:
Phil Lesh & Friends (continuing the tradition of revolving lineups, including old as well as new friends)
West Coast Rambles, based on (and blessed by) Levon Helm's historic Rambles
Album night- we pick a favorite album or two to play live
Telstar night- we put together a band for free form improvisation
Sing-alongs to monthly Sunday morning gospel music
Trivia nights
Monthly big band night
Seminars with local musicians and artists
Our goal is to create a vibrant community gathering place: beautiful, comfortable, welcoming - for members of the community to commingle and enjoy good music.
- Phil

ericm

I got to hang in the lots with my older brother's friends for a couple of summer shows at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City in the early/mid-70's. I didn't have a ticket, but RS was an open air minor league baseball stadium, so we enjoyed hearing the shows (among other things) from the lots.

I finally got to see my first show in 1981,while I was going to school in Rutland Vt. Two of my friends got us tix for the 5/5/81  show at the Glenns Falls Civic Center in Glenns Falls, N.Y. It was about an hours drive from Rutland, and my buds(who were seasoned Dead show vets) wouldn't tell me where our seats were. They knew it was my 1st show and wanted to surprise me.

We walk in and my buddy Greg says to me"stay close, we have to make our way down to the 3rd row"!!  :o Bear in mind that when you enter the Civic Center you're in the last row of the lower level reserved seats. We somehow make it down through the lower level, and do the "scuse me, seats up front thing" all the way through the floor. We get to our seats and there are four people in our three seats. ???  They're like ...no problem and disappear into the mass of people on the floor. I turned to my friends with a big ass smile and told them I can't believe I'm this close. We no sooner raised a beer to say cheers and the lights went out. No more than a minute after we hit our seats. 8)

An AMAZING show, with an unreal 2nd set that blew me away. I was hooked after this, and thankfully it was the first of many more to come.

Here's the setlist:

Set 1
Feel Like A Stranger
Peggy-O
El Paso
Ramble On Rose
C.C. Rider
Brown Eyed Woman
Passenger
Althea
The Music Never Stops
Don't Ease Me In

Set 2
Scarlett Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Estimated Prophet
Eyes Of The World
Drums
Uncle John's Band
Truckin'
Alabama Getaway
Johnny B. Goode

Encore
U.S.Blues
"Where's Jim going?"

tdb810

I went to my first show pretty late in the game....it was 6/25 and 6/26/93 at RFK stadium in DC. I had tons of deadhead friends over the years, but held out before going to my first show, and DAMN I wish I would have gotten on the funky bus sooner!
After that I attended at least 1-2 shows each time they played giants stadium and MSG. Also, seeing Jerry at Brendan Byrne on Halloween 93, which was most awesome.

My last show was June 18, 1995. It was fathers day, and I remember feeling somewhat conflicted leaving my dad hang in, but we did brunch and all.....anyway, so glad I went to that show! Will never forget the day he died. I found out on my birthday while on vacation in Jamaica. I was so depressed, and no one to share my feelings of loss with as my travel companion was more of a rob base fan :)

So, we have been to all of the different revivals of the dead....further, rat dog, Phil and friends, the dead.  But at some point during each show, I would just have a sense of sadness.....like I was going there to get something That I could never get again.
Bob has been to tons and tons of shows.....I will get him up in this thread :)
.....Back at the Model Home

woodnymph

Quote from: walterfredo on Mar 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
http://furthur.net/forum/general-discussion/6282-hey-gang-?limit=20&start=60#6360

We're taking the first steps to make a long time dream- a permanent musical home- come true. We are purchasing a building in Marin, and plan on remodeling it to feel like an old barn; we 're calling it Terrapin Landing. We will continue with Furthur while making music at Terrapin Landing when we are at home.
The music will be varied, featuring:
Phil Lesh & Friends (continuing the tradition of revolving lineups, including old as well as new friends)
West Coast Rambles, based on (and blessed by) Levon Helm's historic Rambles
Album night- we pick a favorite album or two to play live
Telstar night- we put together a band for free form improvisation
Sing-alongs to monthly Sunday morning gospel music
Trivia nights
Monthly big band night
Seminars with local musicians and artists
Our goal is to create a vibrant community gathering place: beautiful, comfortable, welcoming - for members of the community to commingle and enjoy good music.
- Phil
HOLY GREAT SCOTTS!!  Hahahahah I was reading all this like "Jesus, fredo is over the moon with all this!!!!"  Hahahahah then I saw that was Philly's quote, but for the time reading it I was all  :o'd out!!

However, that's still f'n awesome!!!!  Hot diggity!!

woodnymph

My friend just called me now..... live streaming music here on the phone.... what is it what is it........... can't..... tellll..... OHHHHHHH WAIITTTT AAAGGHHHHH

I KNOW YOU RIDER!?!?   YESSSSSS!!!

woodnymph

INTO THE WHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL  :D