Main Menu

Futurebirds

Started by Ruckus, Mar 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justbcuzido

Quote from: vadermaul on Aug 02, 2013, 10:31 AM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Aug 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
Quote from: vadermaul on Aug 02, 2013, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to add how awesome this band is!

Drove up from San Antonio to catch them in Austin and they lived up to the hype.  Great stage presence, great sound, & great songs, really enjoyed the show.  They even played a cover of 'Dead Flowers' by the Rolling Stones in the encore.

After the show I told the rhythm guitar player my 2.5 yr old sings 'Sam Jones' and he thought that was the greatest thing.   :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a really great show. The opening band, Diarrhea Planet was really fun too. They started a slight "mellow mosh" during their set.

The "Dead Flowers" Cover was awesome. Though Ski Chalet, with its jam in the middle and then when they went back into the chorus minutes later was the best part of the show for me.

I can't wait to see these guys again. I hope a taping surfaces of "Dead Flowers" at some point.

justbcuzido did you find the crowd kind of lame?  At one point it felt like half the crowd left.  Starting to notice Austin crowds are not what they use to be.  I don't go to many shows in Austin anymore but I'm starting to notice this trend. 

Yeah that Ski Chalet was epic!!  Was hoping for 'American Cowboy' but they played everything else I wanted to hear.

I was actually on the rail. But every time I looked behind me, people looked subdued. Although, we did have some ass throw a beer can at my friends face, my friend proceeded to punch him in the face a couple times until it was broken up by his friends who apologized. The band actually stopped for a second in between songs and asked if everything was all good to which we gave a thumbs up and they started playing. The guy eventually apologized to my friend and I for being a dumb ass. LOL

I do tend to agree that most of the times, the crowds in Austin can be kinda lame.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

vadermaul

Quote from: justbcuzido on Aug 02, 2013, 11:03 AM

Drove up from San Antonio to catch them in Austin and they lived up to the hype.  Great stage presence, great sound, & great songs, really enjoyed the show.  They even played a cover of 'Dead Flowers' by the Rolling Stones in the encore.

After the show I told the rhythm guitar player my 2.5 yr old sings 'Sam Jones' and he thought that was the greatest thing.   :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a really great show. The opening band, Diarrhea Planet was really fun too. They started a slight "mellow mosh" during their set.

The "Dead Flowers" Cover was awesome. Though Ski Chalet, with its jam in the middle and then when they went back into the chorus minutes later was the best part of the show for me.

I can't wait to see these guys again. I hope a taping surfaces of "Dead Flowers" at some point.

justbcuzido did you find the crowd kind of lame?  At one point it felt like half the crowd left.  Starting to notice Austin crowds are not what they use to be.  I don't go to many shows in Austin anymore but I'm starting to notice this trend. 

Yeah that Ski Chalet was epic!!  Was hoping for 'American Cowboy' but they played everything else I wanted to hear.

I was actually on the rail. But every time I looked behind me, people looked subdued. Although, we did have some ass throw a beer can at my friends face, my friend proceeded to punch him in the face a couple times until it was broken up by his friends who apologized. The band actually stopped for a second in between songs and asked if everything was all good to which we gave a thumbs up and they started playing. The guy eventually apologized to my friend and I for being a dumb ass. LOL

I do tend to agree that most of the times, the crowds in Austin can be kinda lame.

LOL, I noticed that break in the set.  Glad that was resolved.  Some guy next to me flung is half empty beer in the crowd then turned to me & my friend, giving us its ok its a rock show look. 

Last time I was at the Parish was in 2003 to see My Morning Jacket for the 1st time as a headliner.  They opened w/ Easy Morning Rebel that night too! That venue has come a long way.  Sound and lights were really great.

justbcuzido

Quote from: vadermaul on Aug 02, 2013, 11:14 AM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Aug 02, 2013, 11:03 AM

LOL, I noticed that break in the set.  Glad that was resolved.  Some guy next to me flung is half empty beer in the crowd then turned to me & my friend, giving us its ok its a rock show look. 

Last time I was at the Parish was in 2003 to see My Morning Jacket for the 1st time as a headliner.  They opened w/ Easy Morning Rebel that night too! That venue has come a long way.  Sound and lights were really great.

Yeah way too many "Bro" types there (which was weird considering the band). Was the Parish called "The Mercury Lounge" back then? If so, fucking epic show. I have a bootleg DVD of that concert. The Phone Went West was probably the best version I had ever seen up until Red Rocks last summer. You are lucky as hell to have gone!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

zanjam

justbcuzido did you find the crowd kind of lame?  At one point it felt like half the crowd left.  Starting to notice Austin crowds are not what they use to be.

All the crowds have been weird, sparse, or lame.  SF show was well attended, but these guys have not caught on yet, to say the least.  They are critics' darlings but they don't have a huge fan base yet.  I think I need to talk to my friend at Jam On and get him to start playing them!!
anything + reverb always = better

jaye

zanjam

Futurebirds at One Eyed Jacks 4

So many guitars I don't know where to look...  Good GAWD they're having a good time, aren't they?!?

johnnYYac

Daytrotter session...

http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/concert/futurebirds/20056834-51530
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jaye

Now that OBH is over and no MMJ shows on the horizon, time to bump up some "other music". 

Go see Futurebirds!!  SF show was amazing - even better than last year's show.  Not a lot of bands have 3 great singers who can do harmonies as well as the ultimate secret weapon - pedal steel!   Plus they're super nice guys. 

spence

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 02, 2013, 05:54 PM
Saw them in Charlotte last week. First time seeing them. They were amazing. Was hoping for but did not get Happy Animals or Megachills but this did not detract from the show at all.

The Visualite in Charlotte is a great little venue. Was lucky to snag front row, eye level seating in front of the very small pit area. All the new songs were great probably got 4 or 5. They also covered Neil Youngs Unknown Legend which blew my mind away. Closed their set with Wild Heart which was also incredible.

Will see them again when they swing by my home front in Pawtucket, RI. See them if you get a chance probably my favorite newer band of the past 3 years.

Pre-ordered the new album. Can't Wait!

Wolof7,
The Futurebirds are coming back to the Visulite on March 15.  Just saw it today on their website.

Willard1979

I just discovered these guys, thanks to this forum.  I'm listening to Baba Yaga right now.  I can definitely hear Athens GA.  Now I need to go find their other albums.  :drum:

jaye

If I were staying home tonight I would gladly pay $3.50 for this live stream HD show!

https://www.tourpedo.com/shows/futurebirds

Hawkeye

I recorded this show if anyone wants to see it.
We could.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 02, 2014, 09:52 AM
I recorded this show if anyone wants to see it.
Hey Hawk!  I'm definitely interested.  I would have tuned in if I wasn't at Blitzen Trapper at Gabe's that night.  Are you uploading it to YouTube or a file sharing site?  Appreciate it!

Hawkeye

I'm not sure yet...I probably won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night...class tonight from 6-10PM.  And I haven't sat down and re-watched it, but from skimming through it, I'm pretty sure it recorded with few hitches...I was concerned at first!  I tried it on two computers...one worked, one did not.  The sound is not synced very well with the video for the first song but I think it straightens out after that.  Will keep you posted.  Watching this show was my consolation prize for not getting to go out Friday night...pretty cool that they made this available.  I would definitely use this type of streaming service (Tourpedo) again to see live shows!
We could.

zanjam

Hey, I'm back.  Thanks, Yac, for the nudge!  :thumbsup:

Watched and the show was great.  Sound was off for the first song, but yes, evened out after that.  Too bad they streamed from a show with no one.  I've seen them in a room full of 300 people and a room of 6 people.  I just wish they'd draw a bigger crowd wherever they go.  They so deserve it.  Their sets could definitely stand to be about 30 mins longer, at least.  If they did that and brought it every night, they might be drawing more peeps to the shows.

johnnYYac

Good to see you here, Jenny!

Murph

Quote from: zanjam on Jun 05, 2014, 01:03 AM
Hey, I'm back.  Thanks, Yac, for the nudge!  :thumbsup:

Watched and the show was great.  Sound was off for the first song, but yes, evened out after that.  Too bad they streamed from a show with no one.  I've seen them in a room full of 300 people and a room of 6 people.  I just wish they'd draw a bigger crowd wherever they go.  They so deserve it.  Their sets could definitely stand to be about 30 mins longer, at least.  If they did that and brought it every night, they might be drawing more peeps to the shows.

Well they definitely brought it last night! Saw them at Rough Trade, a fairly new venue, in Brooklyn and there were probably aroud 200 people there, by no means packed. 'Ski Chalet' is like a perfect live song. They have this long breakdown where they go into another song than go right back into the end of Ski Chalet, I remember thinking how many other bands, bigger bands too, wish they could pull off a performance like that. You're right though, definitely could have been a longer set. They played for about an hour fifteen, and that's only because they came out for one last song after they left and everyone started doing the Tomahawk Chop. They seemed pretty stoked about that..

parkervb

saw these dudes on Friday, got to chat with Carter and Daniel.  They played some great new songs and played a new(ish) cover of Brooks and Dunn's Neon Moon.  It was a great cover, found this on youtube but the version they played included the whole band.

http://youtu.be/CgoIAFe0qeQ
Don't you ever turn it off

BH

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 17, 2014, 04:48 PM
saw these dudes on Friday, got to chat with Carter and Daniel.  They played some great new songs and played a new(ish) cover of Brooks and Dunn's Neon Moon.  It was a great cover, found this on youtube but the version they played included the whole band.

http://youtu.be/CgoIAFe0qeQ

THAT was awesome, thanks.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

patrickbateman

New album "Hotel Parties" out 9/25.

Anyone hear/have any thoughts on the new tracks?