Main Menu

Futurebirds

Started by Ruckus, Mar 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey_rogo

As if my horrible boner in the shows section wasn't enough evidence (yup, boner is the new (old) blooper), I had a lot of fun at the futurebirds show tonight. Before the show, there were literally 15 people there and I felt really bad, and I saw carter hanging out by himself sitting in a chair. So, naturally, I strolled over like the smoothest ass ever and chatted it up.

He was genuinely the nicest band member I have ever talked to before a show (that beats toby from dr dog and john from deer tick amongst others) and he told me he was tired from being on the road but was excited for the show. Long story short, we did a shot of whisk and talked about how the cops on I90 are assholes and how he couldn't leave until I bought one of their 'circle' shirts. They put on an awesome, short, sweet show and I love these guys more and more. Heartless Bastards were also super awesome but this is a futurebirds thread. I love these guys.

Fully

Sounds like you had a great night. You are making me excited to see them next Friday.

mahg33ta

thanks for the report Joey.   I'm there tonight!   I hope it's not so poorly attended- that always makes me feel bad too.   Unfortunately, tonight's is an early show (doors at 6 pm) because the venue turns into a dance club later at night.   So it could be just as bad.   Did it fill up for Heartless Bastards?

joey_rogo

Sadly it never really filled up. The place has a big bar in the middle and most people never left the bar area until HB came out and even then there were maybe 50 people tops. It was the worst attended show I have ever been too. During futurebirds there were maybe 10 people standing in front of the stage with everyone else spread throughout or at the bar. It left plenty of room for Carter to rock out in 'the crowd' when he jumped off the stage during Ski Chalet.

There were many reasons it wasn't well attended... on a week night, in a smaller town, the radio station that was 'promoting' the show really didn't at all, etc. I'm sure there will be more people in Boston on a Friday.

johnnYYac

Me and mahg33tah at Futurebirds right now!!!  I approve!  Great stuff. And Heartless Bastards next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

Cool.  Doesn't look crowded.  Their D.C. show over the summer was packed, although most people weren't paying attention to the band.

mahg33ta

It wasn't packed by any means, but much better than the scene Joey describes.   We were talking to one of the guys afterwards (big beard / banjo) and he said that gig Joey was talking about was really strange.   In an odd strip mall next to a restaurant and a Golds gym?!

I enjoyed them a lot.   I like multiple singers and they definitely held my attention.   I'd see em as headliner.

johnnYYac

I spoke to their drummer, IV, after the show. It was his 9th gig with Futurebirds. He's lovin' it and hopes he passed the audition. I didn't realize a recent change to their lineup. He loves being part of Futurebirds. I think the original drummer also sang some, from what I saw of a little documentary about their live EP.

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
I spoke to their drummer, IV, after the show. It was his 9th gig with Futurebirds. He's lovin' it and hopes he passed the audition. I didn't realize a recent change to their lineup. He loves being part of Futurebirds. I think the original drummer also sang some, from what I saw of a little documentary about their live EP.

There drummer is named IV ?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Fully on Oct 27, 2012, 04:48 PM

There Their drummer is named IV ?
Nice typo, English teacher!  Yeah, he said his name was "IV", and I was, "like this?" and gestured putting a needle into my arm.  He then said "yeah" as he rolled up his right sleeve to expose the tatoos of stars all over the inside of his elbow, along with a capital IV.  Can't find anything on him.  He says he's also in a "super group" with a member of the Dead Confederates, but I wasn't familiar with any of them.  Couldn't be Diamond Rugs, could it?

zanjam

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
Quote from: Fully on Oct 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
There Their drummer is named IV ?
Nice typo, English teacher!  Yeah, he said his name was "IV", and I was, "like this?" and gestured putting a needle into my arm.  He then said "yeah" as he rolled up his right sleeve to expose the tatoos of stars all over the inside of his elbow, along with a capital IV.  Can't find anything on him.  He says he's also in a "super group" with a member of the Dead Confederates, but I wasn't familiar with any of them.  Couldn't be Diamond Rugs, could it?
No, couldn't be.
anything + reverb always = better

Ruckus

I know we had quite a discussion about Payton Bradford in the other forum but I know Penny and I miss him big time.  APO, Red Top Girl, and Aquarium Floor were some of my favorite tracks by them.  It really sucks!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

OK, as much as I like listening to the Futurebirds albums that I've got, I at least doubly, maybe tripley, enjoyed hearing them live. This was my first time seeing them in the flesh. Even though they opened for Heartless Bastards, they had much more stage presence and musicianship than HB.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed HB quite a bit, but it wasn't a whole lot different that listening to the album. Futurebirds had a really great live presence to them. I believe I'll make it a point to catch this band whenever I have the chance from now on. Penny and Ruckus, I'm pretty sure that you two are the ones who turned me on to this band earlier this year. Thanks. :beer: :kiss: :beer: .

wolof7

"...Futurebirds meld the sweet, lilting, pedal steel and harmonies of the Stray Gators with the raucous, buzzing, distortion of Crazyhorse."

- Aquarium Drunkard

Nashville, TN – Baba Yaga, the new album from Athens, Georgia's Futurebirds will be released on April 16 via Fat Possum Records/VL4L. Baba Yaga features 13 songs that, much like the album's legendary mythical namesake, defy typical categorization. The ambiguity of Futurebirds' sound comes from their dynamic blend of experimental atmospheric textures, alt-rock tones and laid-back harmonies. Their music is equally as warm and inviting as it is brooding and assertive. The energy of their live shows is that of a primal, sweat-filled, cosmic rock revival with soaring harmonies. And the word is out. Hear Ya said, "...it's a requirement to see them live. There are few emerging bands with their energy and zeal on stage."

In 2009, Futurebirds released their self-titled EP, followed by their full-length debut, Hampton's Lullaby in 2010. Stark Online said the album was, "...tastefully laced with weeping pedal steel, mandolins, and imbued with a distinct flair for well-crafted and efficient melodies." Since then, the band released the EP Via Flamina (2011) and Live at Seney-Stovall Chapel, a special 2011 Record Store Day release that sold out on the same day, showing how rapidly their loyal fan base was growing.

Futurebirds has toured relentlessly, sharing bills with Drive-By Truckers, Widespread Panic, Heartless Bastards and Alabama Shakes. Their reputation as a must-see live act has landed them spots at major festivals, including, Austin City Limits, Outside Lands, Hangout, Wakarusa, Forecastle and Bonnaroo. The band was also invited to join the Bonnaroo Buzz tour (leading up to the 2011 festival), and were slotted between Gary Clark Jr. and headliner Grace Potter & The Nocturnals.

Futurebirds are a six-headed beast, with each member contributing something distinctive to their sound. Together they have crafted a style that is simultaneously familiar yet fresh. Whether it is the spacey folk of the opener, "Virginia Slims", the driving rhythm of "Serial Bowls" the hauntingly melodic "Death Awaits" or the epic "St. Summercamp", there is no doubt that Futurebirds have cemented their identity on Baba Yaga.

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

BH

Yes!  It's shaping up to be a great couple of months for new releases.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

wolof7

I can already state that Virginia Slims and Death Awaits are amazing...so excited for this record.

capt. scotty

Liked their song 6 EP from a few years quite a bit, listened to it occasionally but not in at least a year, and completely forgot about Hampton's Lullaby being released and mostly forgot about them until Rowan posted a free 10-12 song download on facebook a couple weeks ago and loved that. After reading thru this thread never wouldve guess Wild Heart was a Stevie Nicks cover, that was one of my favorites on that download (called "Exhume" IIRC).

Excited for this new one, wish it was coming out before April 16th, but I have plenty more familiarizing myself with these other releases in the meantime anyway.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Nice! Thanks wolof!  I was waiting for this announcement.  I'm curious about this "Epic" St. Summercamp. 

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Anyone hitting up their show in Charlotte on March 29th at the Visulite? My wife and I are coming down from Mass, visiting a friend and just picked up the tix...hoping to meet some of the southern jacket forum contingency...also any suggestions of must-eat places in Charlotte...me likely some BBQ

spence

I've been cranking the Futurebirds this week.  Looking forward to their upcoming show. 

I'll be at the March 29th show at Visulite.  As for bbq, I highly recommend the Midwood Smokehouse on Central Avenue, it's less than a mile form the Visulite.  I go there all the time.