Main Menu

M. Ward

Started by walterfredo, Apr 01, 2011, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Neighbour

I'm listening to it right now.  It's pretty good - a bit more "kick-up shoes" than his previous albums.

Northern Neighbour

Well, the album slows down in the 2nd half, so so much for my comment above.

mahg33ta

my review after one listen is mild disappointment.    But, his previous stuff is "grower" material.   I think I want him to be something he just isn't.   But I love his voice.

BH

New Daytrotter.    This album is spectacular.   It feels way more like an M. Ward album to me than Hold Time did.   It takes me to that happy(sad) place again.

http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/concert/m-ward/20055385-4325

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

New album drops today.  Got mine yesterday and like what I've heard so far.  Looking forward to seeing him next month.  Other dates (I note nothing in July...Forecastle?  Newport? Monsters of Folk?):

April 11  San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore SOLD OUT
April 12  Santa Cruz, CA - Cocoanut Grove
April 13  Indio, CA - Coachella SOLD OUT
April 14  Santa Barbara, CA - Soho SOLD OUT
April 16  Solona Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern SOLD OUT
April 17  Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom SOLD OUT
April 18  Flagstaff, AZ - Orpheum Theater
April 20  Indio, CA - Coachella SOLD OUT
April 21  Long Beach, CA - Fingerprints

May 05  Portland, ME - State Theatre
May 06  Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
May 07  New Haven, CT - Toads Place
May 08  Boston, MA - House Of Blues
May 11  New York, NY - Webster Hall SOLD OUT
May 12  Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
May 13  Washington, DC - 9:30 Club SOLD OUT
May 15  Durham, NC - Duke Performances
May 16  Athens, GA - Georgia Theatre
May 17  Atlanta, GA - Buckhead Theatre
May 18  Gulf Shores, AL - Hangout Fest
May 20  Nelsonville, OH - Nelsonville Music Fest
May 22  Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
May 23  Madison, WI - Barrymoore Theatre
May 24  Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
May 26  Missoula, MT - Knitting Factory
May 27  George, WA - Sasquatch Festival

June 17  Toulouse - Dynamo
June 19  Dudingen - Bad Bonn
June 20  Zurich - Papiersaal
June 22  Vienna - Open Air Arena
June 26  Arendal - Hove Fest
June 27  Borlange - Peace & Love Festival
June 29  Evreaux - Les Rock Dans Tours Ses Stats
June 30  Nijmegan - Rockin Park
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

I'm worried that by the time I can figure out how to get to Chicago it's going to sell out.   Oh M why won't you come to St. Louis!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Just opened my vinyl.   Great package.   Album cover fold out poster, digital download, merge sticker and best of all, an actual wasteland companion. 

Fixed, thanks JY!  I was using the "share" feature and obviously that was my problem.

johnnYYac

Quote from: BH on Apr 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
why can't i get a flickr pic to work
Any photo link posted has to include the file extension (ie. .jpg, .gif, .bmp, etc.).  With Flickr, choose the size you want, then right-click the image and click "properties".  Then, copy and paste the URL, which should end ".jpg".   :thumbsup:

BH

Just stumble across this epic version of Carolina.   :o

M. WARD - Carolina [Live Rare]

darkglow

wow BH.. thanks for that.. great #9000 post!

capt. scotty

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
my review after one listen is mild disappointment.    But, his previous stuff is "grower" material.   I think I want him to be something he just isn't.   But I love his voice.

I would agree with all of this. Album is good but I wasnt blown away or anything.

Will definitely take a lot more listens to figure out if I like it more than Hold Time or not, but first spin says no. Then again, the more laidback songs on HT like Stars of Leo, 100 Million Years, and especially Blake's View took me awhile to realize they were a few of my favorites on the album.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

I doubt I could find it now, but I read a review of Wasteland Companion this week that perhaps put it best. 

"Its another M. Ward album."

Can't wait to see him in May!

subinai

Playing Prospect Park in Brooklyn on August 7th. Yo La Tengo opening.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/04/m_ward_playing_4.html

EverythingChanges

I have been listening to monsters of folk and I am addicted.  What M. Ward album would be a good place to start? Thanks for the help!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

BH

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 14, 2012, 09:45 PM
I have been listening to monsters of folk and I am addicted.  What M. Ward album would be a good place to start? Thanks for the help!

Post War is the best "full band" sounding album in my opinion.   And Transfiguration of Vincent and Transistor Radio are both spectacular albums that show his more subtle sound and amazing guitar work.   You really can't go wrong, but these are the best three IMO.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: BH on Oct 14, 2012, 10:32 PM

Post War is the best "full band" sounding album in my opinion.   And Transfiguration of Vincent and Transistor Radio are both spectacular albums that show his more subtle sound and amazing guitar work.   You really can't go wrong, but these are the best three IMO.

I am leaning towards Post War or Transfiguration of Vincent.  I love the full band sound of post war, but from what I can tell by first glance, correct me if I am wrong, ToV seems more conceptual, which I love. 

BH

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 14, 2012, 10:40 PM

I am leaning towards Post War or Transfiguration of Vincent.  I love the full band sound of post war, but from what I can tell by first glance, correct me if I am wrong, ToV seems more conceptual, which I love.

I think you hit it right on the money.   ToV just really highlights his songwriting and the things I love best about him.   It's hard to explain.   All I know is, if you have got to this point, you will probably own them all by next year anyway!

Fully

Transfiguration is my favorite of his albums too. It has a dream-like quality that I never get tired of.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: BH on Oct 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 14, 2012, 10:40 PM

I think you hit it right on the money.   ToV just really highlights his songwriting and the things I love best about him.   It's hard to explain.   All I know is, if you have got to this point, you will probably own them all by next year anyway!

Next year?! More like this holiday season (unless next year means the first of January)! Damn Post War is great! I am almost positive ToV will be even more enjoyable based on my personal tastes in music (I really love the more conceptual albums that connect everything together as a whole).  Damn this guy is good.  Poison Cup, To Go Home, Chinese Translation, Requiem and Today's Undertaking are some of my favorites atm.  Yet, Post-War is probably my favorite.  It is so relaxing to listen to.

BH

Speaking of To Go Home, it's single (ep?) is also awesome!