Main Menu

Strand Of Oaks

Started by BH, Apr 06, 2011, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

my pre order is out for delivery. one of the few times I get the pre before release date.
Don't you ever turn it off

Crispy

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 18, 2019, 01:27 PMmy pre order is out for delivery. one of the few times I get the pre before release date.

Sweet! That hardly ever happens for me, now I've got my fingers crossed.  :thumbsup:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sillyboob

So I'm totally floored by the track 'Keys'. Tim & the boys took the bitterness (and guitar line) from 'via Chicago', meshed it through a Mazzy Star filter and turned it into such a beautiful tribute to Tim's wife.  I've been listening to this one on repeat for a couple of days now.  So good.

Really looking forward to hearing the whole album on Friday.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 06, 2019, 02:12 PM
Quote from: APR on Mar 06, 2019, 01:34 PM
Quotebased on the 3 songs so far, I think this has the potential to be the best album the 4 Jacket guys have played on since Z.

Wow.  That is high praise.  I can't imagine it being better than EU, Circuital, or The Waterfall.  I'll check out the newest single soon.

ok, throwing EU in there is a stretch. The last 2 albums have some great songs but I don't rate them that highly as albums tbh

After a few listens, I'm really digging the three songs that are out a lot.   This has great potential to be on the high quality level of a Carl or Jim solo work, but still think it would be hard to be up there with The Waterfall.  I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album soon. 

parkervb

Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 19, 2019, 03:20 PMSo I'm totally floored by the track 'Keys'. Tim & the boys took the bitterness (and guitar line) from 'via Chicago', meshed it through a Mazzy Star filter and turned it into such a beautiful tribute to Tim's wife.  I've been listening to this one on repeat for a couple of days now.  So good.

Really looking forward to hearing the whole album on Friday.

VIA CHICAGO! That's the song I couldn't quite put my finger on when I heard it but you're absolutely right.

Moon Landing, y'all. The jam of the album.

MMJTX

Listened on the drive to work this morning. LOVED IT. got several goosebumps throughout. Fan-f'ing-tastic album. can't wait to see him live.
Anytime

JDUB

I'm digging this album too. I saw them open for MMJ at Brooklyn Bowl in 2015 and they didn't make an impression on me. But this album has me pumped to see them live in May. Anyone know if MMJ will be the backing band on tour?

parkervb

Kevin Ratterman did a fantastic job on this record.

rkwedge

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 22, 2019, 10:47 AMKevin Ratterman did a fantastic job on this record.
I agree, sounds great.

JDUB, no the boys are not backing Tim on the tour sadly.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

sillyboob

I'm so annoyed, Bandcamp didn't have the album ready for download this morning.  Now I have to wait until I get home to listen to it!! UGH!!!!

Okay, I'll stop pouting now.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Jbpats

It's a good album, at first listen I think I like Hard Love more though.. but I did love Forever Chords, that song is incredible.

Also whoever said this is MMJ's finest work musically since Z is well... I'm hoping that was just a comment due to sheer excitement of having some new music from the boys. This thing doesn't even tickle any MMJ album musically. If anything it reminds me a lot of a War on Drugs album.

I will say it is better than uniform distortion.

parkervb

Quote from: Jbpats on Mar 22, 2019, 01:50 PMIt's a good album, at first listen I think I like Hard Love more though.. but I did love Forever Chords, that song is incredible.

Also whoever said this is MMJ's finest work musically since Z is well... I'm hoping that was just a comment due to sheer excitement of having some new music from the boys. This thing doesn't even tickle any MMJ album musically. If anything it reminds me a lot of a War on Drugs album.

that was me tho I did walk it back on EU. And I stand by it over Circuital and The Waterfall. I think Circuital is all over the place though it has some truly great tracks. The Waterfall, sonically, sounds fantastic but I am not sure of the song writing on half the tracks. Seriously, how many times have you thought to yourself, I need to put on Thin Line, Get The Point or Like a River? Also, both recent War on Drugs albums are much better than the last 2 Jacket albums.

Jbpats

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 22, 2019, 02:42 PM
Quote from: Jbpats on Mar 22, 2019, 01:50 PMIt's a good album, at first listen I think I like Hard Love more though.. but I did love Forever Chords, that song is incredible.

that was me tho I did walk it back on EU. And I stand by it over Circuital and The Waterfall. I think Circuital is all over the place though it has some truly great tracks. The Waterfall, sonically, sounds fantastic but I am not sure of the song writing on half the tracks. Seriously, how many times have you thought to yourself, I need to put on Thin Line, Get The Point or Like a River? Also, both recent War on Drugs albums are much better than the last 2 Jacket albums.

I think we'll just have to disagree, I loved Circuital and Waterfall but agree that Thin Line is horrendous and Like a River is basic.. Get The point is up there with Bermuda highway for Jim acoustic songs (to me) so we strongly disagree there.
I mean at the same time we can nitpick this SOA's album, Wilde and Willing is a basic acoustic song (similar to get the point), Cruel Fisherman is noise.. will you honestly ever listen to that track again? And the rest just kind of blends together.. but with that said, that's usually how I feel after listening to a WOD album. 

It's a good album, it'll definitely make my rotation but at no point was I truly ever blown away, if anything I think the boys were held back. Even on Forever Chords, the end of that song had a chance to have an epic David Gilmour/floydesque ending and the solo was completely refrained.

Again, this is after the first listen, I might sing a different tune after a few more but after the first I just don't think it competes with any MMJ album musically, and this is coming from a pretty big Strand of Oaks fan and obviously a massive MMJ fan.

parkervb

agree to disagree is totally cool. I will say that Cruel Fisherman is not considered an album track but a "cleanser" after the album is over (per Tim). And I'm not saying Eraserland is without flaws or a perfect album (Wild and Willing is sparse, maybe Final Fires apes The Cure) but, to me, is a more complete album than those 2.

mynameiscurt

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 22, 2019, 02:42 PM

Have to agree with all of this from parkervb, but those WOD albums are a pretty high mark for comparison.  PS - The Strand album is quite fantastic. 

parkervb

^^^ my burner account ^^^

lol

Come Closer

This has grown on me, except for the tail end. I think I'll just end it at the title track when I throw it on.

rkwedge

Quote from: Osistheones on Mar 22, 2019, 10:15 PMThis has grown on me, except for the tail end. I think I'll just end it at the title track when I throw it on.
This is how I feel too except I like Forever Chords too, I think it will play out well live also. All in all a solid album in my opinion and glad Tim didn't just bag his musical career.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Willard1979

Just heard Forever Chords and....I'm hooked! I just ordered Eraserland. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Nikkogino

Quote from: Willard1979 on Mar 23, 2019, 10:08 PMJust heard Forever Chords and....I'm hooked! I just ordered Eraserland. Can't wait to hear the rest!
The title track is amazing...and there is a song where he plays solo acoustic on the guitar Jim used on the early jacket albums.  A great album for Jacket fans.