Main Menu

Wilco: The Thread

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

EDIT: Couldn't find a thread dedicated to Wilco, a band I (currently) know little about, in the recent history of this forum, so...

Hey.  Not familiar with Wilco but hear them mentioned a ton on this here forum, so...

FYI

Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche held a percussion workshop down the street at Dartmouth last Sunday.  He and guitarist Nels Cline have stopped into classrooms all week, interacting with students. 

Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche, left, talks with Dartmouth senior Nick Mullins during Kotche's percussion workshop. (Valley News — Jenna Schoenefeld)

Tonight, they perform with visual artist Norton Wisdom in a show called Sonic/Vision, billed as an evening of music, art, animation, and improvisation.

http://www.vnews.com/04212011/7763520.htm

Sonic/Vision is tonight at the Spaulding Auditorium at 7 p.m. Tickets are $27 general admission and $10 for Dartmouth students. There will be a post performance discussion
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

chaqueta sucia

Better get in tune with Wilco asap..........absolute gods.  Two of the very best musicians I listen to and they are both in the same band?  Unreal!

walterfredo

Glen is an animal on the drums. By far my fav band member to watch during shows.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Very cool! What an opportunity.

I think it was on their last DVD (Ashes of American Flags) they showed how hard Glenn plays every night, having to ice his hands and arms and often making himself bleed.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

walterfredo

He's a sweaty mess after every show. He definitely gives it his all up there. Really jonesin for some west coast Wilco shows, it's been 2 years.

ALady

Quote from: walterfredo on Apr 21, 2011, 12:13 PM
Glen is an animal on the drums. By far my fav band member to watch during shows.

This.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Crispy

Quote from: walterfredo on Apr 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
He's a sweaty mess after every show. He definitely gives it his all up there. Really jonesin for some west coast Wilco shows, it's been 2 years.

Came here to say this. Love watching Glen rock it -- will be seeing that again in May at the Cain's!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Randall

slimsloslider

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
Very cool! What an opportunity.

I think it was on their last DVD (Ashes of American Flags) they showed how hard Glenn plays every night, having to ice his hands and arms and often making himself bleed.

yeah, that was pretty awesome. it was funny to see a couple of the other band members muching on mexican and having a laugh at how glenn needed to stay back and "practice." i dunno. if i were in that band, i'd be a little paranoid about staying on my game.

johnnYYac

Looks like the forum needs a Wilco thread, which I couldn't find, so I'll rename this one and then see what all the fuss is about.  Looking forward to it.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bold992006

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 22, 2011, 09:35 AM
Looks like the forum needs a Wilco thread, which I couldn't find, so I'll rename this one and then see what all the fuss is about.  Looking forward to it.

"the fuss" is well worth your time.  I discovered MMJ by them opening for Wilco.

My Morning Tube top

Hey Johnny I produce for a photographer Sam Jones who directed "I am trying to break your heart" a great documentary on the band....They will be playing second weekend of Jazz fest this year  :)

Check it out...http://www.amazon.com/Am-Trying-Break-Your-Heart/dp/B00008IAMJ

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Apr 22, 2011, 01:44 PM

Hey Johnny I produce for a photographer Sam Jones who directed "I am trying to break your heart" a great documentary on the band....They will be playing second weekend of Jazz fest this year  :)

Check it out...http://www.amazon.com/Am-Trying-Break-Your-Heart/dp/B00008IAMJ

Very cool movie, seen it many times.

I hope they're coming up by my neck of the woods soon, havent seen them since 2008.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

rmpotsy

we usually try and see at least a couple of shows per year.  i was really anxious for the tour announcements for this year.  so far nothig close to home, i guess i will have to wait till fall.  outside of the jacket, they are my favorite contemporary band.
out go the lights it begins

ophidiophobia

I got tickets to see them in a couple of weeks in Tulsa. I've missed seeing them a handful of times over the last few years. This show is pretty high on my bucket list of band I need to see live.

ALady

ms. yvon and I saw a solo Jeff Tweedy show last Friday.  If you ever get a chance to see Jeff solo, DO IT.  He tends to interact a little more with the audience and is hilariously cantankerous.

He played at least one new songs (the one with the opioids lyric described in the SPIN article linked above) and the solo arrangements of the songs are just spare and lovely.  Le sigh.

I am due for a full-on Wilco show, though.  Seems they'll be playing ACL fest in the fall.

ralph

Quote from: ALady on Apr 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
ms. yvon and I saw a solo Jeff Tweedy show last Friday.  If you ever get a chance to see Jeff solo, DO IT.  He tends to interact a little more with the audience and is hilariously cantankerous.

He played at least one new songs (the one with the opioids lyric described in the SPIN article linked above) and the solo arrangements of the songs are just spare and lovely.  Le sigh.

I am due for a full-on Wilco show, though.  Seems they'll be playing ACL fest in the fall.

A solo Jeff show is one of my dreams.  We always live in hope here that the next Wilco tour will include a Tweedy show...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ALady

Bridge School, perhaps?  ;)

ralph

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.