Main Menu

Wilco: The Thread

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelhousetunes

I really miss Jay Bennett.

sillyboob

Quote from: walterfredo on Dec 15, 2015, 11:34 AM
^interesting chronological selection on 1-4.

I thought that as well.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Angelo

Quote from: e-stone on Dec 15, 2015, 10:32 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Dec 15, 2015, 08:47 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on Dec 15, 2015, 01:39 AM
Does Wilco play many repeats on 2 night runs? Might grab tix to the Friday show too.

i would not expect them to do any repeats

i disagree.  i'd expect at least 5-7 repeats, and possibly the entire Star Wars album in full both nights if they follow recent touring patterns.

I wouldn't expect 5 to 7 repeats on top of Star Wars, that number is inflated. They played the new album in its entirety to open pretty much every show it seemed, but at the same time I don't think they did any multi-night runs at the same venue. Not sure if true but it's been said that Wilco will look at past sets when they revisit a city in an effort to not play the same shit. But beyond all of that, I saw their entire 3 night run in Port Chester last year, they played 90 songs and only repeated one (Give Back The Key To My Heart). They didn't repeat any songs at the past 3 Solid Sounds either.

I would not expect any repeats for a multi-night run at the same venue.

e-stone

Quote from: Angelo on Dec 15, 2015, 09:11 PM
Quote from: e-stone on Dec 15, 2015, 10:32 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Dec 15, 2015, 08:47 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on Dec 15, 2015, 01:39 AM
Does Wilco play many repeats on 2 night runs? Might grab tix to the Friday show too.

i would not expect them to do any repeats

i disagree.  i'd expect at least 5-7 repeats, and possibly the entire Star Wars album in full both nights if they follow recent touring patterns.

I wouldn't expect 5 to 7 repeats on top of Star Wars, that number is inflated. They played the new album in its entirety to open pretty much every show it seemed, but at the same time I don't think they did any multi-night runs at the same venue. Not sure if true but it's been said that Wilco will look at past sets when they revisit a city in an effort to not play the same shit. But beyond all of that, I saw their entire 3 night run in Port Chester last year, they played 90 songs and only repeated one (Give Back The Key To My Heart). They didn't repeat any songs at the past 3 Solid Sounds either.

I would not expect any repeats for a multi-night run at the same venue.

you may be right - especially if the play Star Wars each night.  i'm going off my own experiences and when they played a two night Red Rocks stand a few summers back they did repeat 5-7 tunes.  in fact Tweedy (half-joking) made sure to let us know early on the second night that those hoping for no repeats were seeing the wrong kind of band!

Angelo

^ That's surprising that they'd do that during a two-night stand somewhere but that quote does sound familiar. I think we can all agree that there really is no reason for Wilco to repeat songs in situations like these. There's too many great songs for that nonsense. I feel like they repeated that Doug Sahm song at the aforementioned PC shows just so people like me couldn't blather about how they didn't repeat a song. Tweedy seems like the type of guy that enjoys "fuck you" humor and I appreciate it.

Angelo

You're right, they repeated a few songs, most seem to have been off The Whole Love. That's great that they played Open Mind!

beardedwonder

Well, I've been on a 4 day Wilcobender. Feeling good bout them now. More than good - they are as advertised. Ive purchased a few albums so far:

sky blue sky
being there
wilco the album
live in chicago

Still trying to weasel my way into the 1st night of their Boston shows. Its my wife b day weekend. We always head up to Boston and stay in the Omni Parker House hotel. So she gets final call on Friday night festivities. 2nd nights show already in the bag tho.

hey look I'm a senior member now...where's my jacket? :happy:
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Shug

I beat this drum constantly for newbies, but you ABSOLUTELY MUST get the live DVD Ashes of American Flags.  Serious.  Its the highlights of a 5 or 6 show run at notable venues (Cain's, Tipitina's, 9:30 Club, Ryman) in 2008, the band was on fire, Jeff was wearing his Nudie suit, they had a horn section sit in for some of the shows and it is as beautifully filmed as The Last Waltz.  Its seriously to me among the top 5 rock performance films of all time.  I would go to extremely great lengths if I could have access to the video outtakes of these shows, particularly the night at the Ryman when Tweedy was all pumped up on steroids.  They were ON FIRE!!!!

It is, to me, by far the most perfect representation of everything that is great about Wilco.  I'm sure fans have wildly varying opinions, but I hold mine very strongly, ha ha ha!

Check this shit out!

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

e_wind

Yeah AOAF is about my favorite live thing from any band.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

beardedwonder

My wife gave me a Star Wars on vinyl for an early xmas gift.

Lioking forward to spinning it.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

sillyboob

Jeff Tweedy's solo DVD Sunken Treasure is a great way to hear Wilco tunes stripped down.  You also get some heady insight into Jeff Tweedy's personality.  Both are worth the price of admission.

As is Ashes Of American Flags.

wheelhousetunes

I don't forgot about I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - deluxe dvd (must be deluxe). That's got tons of great stuff on it.

And it's got Jay Bennett.  :thumbsup:

sillyboob

Jay Bennett was the pop music alter ego to Jeff Tweedy's strange noise obsessions.

Angelo

Can't argue with AOAF. There was a time it felt like I watched it like it was Seinfeld reruns. I sort of burned myself out on it, I need to watch it again.

beardedwonder

Ok. Finally got to see the band. The show and musicianship were great. Nels blew my mind!! We were set up directly in front of him and his gear six rows back. We now own all the albums and talk about how we wish we were turned on much sooner.

LBSUNFLWR

parkervb

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jan 31, 2016, 07:27 PM
Ok. Finally got to see the band. The show and musicianship were great. Nels blew my mind!! We were set up directly in front of him and his gear six rows back. We now own all the albums and talk about how we wish we were turned on much sooner.

NELS!!!!  Him and Springsteen rock harder at 60 and 66 respectively than most 1/3 their age!! 

And Glenn Kotche on drums is just unbelievable.  Can't wait to see them again next week.

parkervb

hey beardedwonder,

what was the structure of the show? a buddy was telling me they so Star Wars front to back, finish off the set electric and then do encores acoustic.

beardedwonder

Quote from: parkervb on Feb 01, 2016, 11:31 AM
hey beardedwonder,

what was the structure of the show? a buddy was telling me they so Star Wars front to back, finish off the set electric and then do encores acoustic.

Precisely, for the show I attended (2nd night). However, looking at the 1st nights set they did not include an acoustic set.

It really was 2 shows in 1 with this format.