Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

I figure I'd restart this Dragonboy classic though I fear there aren't too many metalheads in here.  Where's Buawwwwwww?  Good to have Darklands back! :beer:

So yeah, I've been listening to Agalloch a lot lately and have also just discovered math/prog techni geeks from Austin called Scale the Summit!  Fantastically melodic, technically complex nerdathon music.

SCALE THE SUMMIT "The Great Plains" LIVE (CD Release Show) HD
The bassist looks like Dark.   ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

br00ke

mjk73

Yep

Have to be in the mood

Still loving Baroness and The Sword

wolof7

Love that track Ruckus, I think regarding Agalloch, it's the vocals I just can't get behind yet...Keep those suggestions coming though, I'm a relative newb into the metal universe.

I think since I've become engaged I've started reverting to really boyish hobbies (metal, graphic novels, semi-role-playing board games about zombies) much to my fiancee's chagrin. good thing she thinks I have money  ::) ;) ;D

Also anyone else hear that GWAR intends to have sex with all of their fans? Check it:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/gwar-outlines-strategy-to-have-sex-with-its-fans,54923/
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

YouAre_GivenToFly

In high school I used to dabble in the realm of heavy metal. I was into a Swedish band called In Flames for awhile. Check them out!
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
Love that track Ruckus, I think regarding Agalloch, it's the vocals I just can't get behind yet...Keep those suggestions coming though, I'm a relative newb into the metal universe.

I think since I've become engaged I've started reverting to really boyish hobbies (metal, graphic novels, semi-role-playing board games about zombies) much to my fiancee's chagrin. good thing she thinks I have money  ::) ;) ;D

Also anyone else hear that GWAR intends to have sex with all of their fans? Check it:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/gwar-outlines-strategy-to-have-sex-with-its-fans,54923/

Yeah, I've really taken to Scale the Summit a bunch.  I read about them in the recent Decibel magazine and I can't believe I never heard of them before, now knowing that they opened for Dream Theater for a time.  I've been listening to the new one, The Collective, which Letchford (lead guitarist and principal songwriter) says was more about writing accessible, mature songs and less about showing off their ridiculous technical proficiency.  I believe both guitarists play custom made 8 strings (I think they make 'em) and the bassist a six string.  There was a time in the late 90's to 2000 where I was into a lot of math rock such as Don Caballero and Volta de Mar.  This reminds me of them but far more technically advanced and progressive metal sounding.

I hear you about Agalloch.  I recall watching a youtube video of them doing Falling Snow and one of the comments was something to the effect of, "These guys would fuckin' rule if the singer didn't sound like he had a pineapple stuck in his throat."

I still listen to Baroness quite frequently as well as Kylesa's Static Tensions.  Those are more on the sludge side.  Yeah, I think I just am a fanboy of the Savannah, GA scene. 

subinai

i want to see baroness live so bad.

Ruckus

Quote from: subinai on Apr 24, 2011, 11:29 PM
i want to see baroness live so bad.
They are badass live!  I trekked down to Richmond from Baltimore to see them open for the Deftones because they weren't playing anywhere else nearby.  We probably left three songs into the Deftones set though. ;D

I can't wait for a new album for them to headline on.

buaawwww

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccckkkk!!!!!!!!

Speaking of The Sword... guess who just got tickets to see The Sword opening for KYUSS LIVES!  at Terminal 5 NYC in September?   :thumbsup:
That's gonna be a great follow up to the week before... going to see the BIG 4 at Yankee Stadium!!!  September is going to be a crazy metal month for me!

I've just been on a crazy Motorhead and Clutch kick ever seeing the two of them together... it's really all I've been listening to these days.

Ruckus

Buaawwwwwwwwww!  Good to hear from ya! :thumbsup:  Yeah, I managed to catch the Sword last year and they were killer.  I was watching the Big 4 at Sonisphere from last year on Palladium and I can only imagine the spectacle it will be at Yankee Stadium.  However, the closer with everyone on stage was downright ridiculous...in a not good way ;D. I'm glad I got my Megadeth Rust in Peace on last year 8)

buaawwww

Quote from: Ruckus on May 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
Buaawwwwwwwwww!  Good to hear from ya! :thumbsup:  Yeah, I managed to catch the Sword last year and they were killer.  I was watching the Big 4 at Sonisphere from last year on Palladium and I can only imagine the spectacle it will be at Yankee Stadium.  However, the closer with everyone on stage was downright ridiculous...in a not good way ;D. I'm glad I got my Megadeth Rust in Peace on last year 8)

Yeah this is just one of those experiences I simply need to be a part of.  I've seen these bands countless times in my youth, but to see them all together and be in that crowd should be something else entirely.  I don't know personally I thought the big jam at the end was cool as hell.  I'm looking forward to the whole experience.  Just gotta find some shows to tide me over till then!  ;D

dragonboy

Nice one Buaawwww! I saw Kyuss Lives last month & am seeing The Sword tomorrow night!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

buaawwww

Quote from: dragonboy on May 11, 2011, 06:30 PM
Nice one Buaawwww! I saw Kyuss Lives last month & am seeing The Sword tomorrow night!!!

Nice!  I know I've discussed this with you once before, but having never gotten the chance to see the original Kyuss this was a pretty big deal for me.  And the fact that The Sword is playing with them?  Makes this a must see event!

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

CTdeadhead

I am an old school 80s metal head. I still love my Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, as well as the Big 4 back in the day, etc.  I caught the big 4  broadcast the night it ran in the theaters live or semi live, it was a great experience.  People moshing the movies!!  And boy it was loud.

I havent been able to grasp a lot of the new metal, I think its growling vocals that dominate metal today, I'll take Halford's or Dickinson's style any day.

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

bumble

I hadn't listened to metal for a while til I heard Mastodon's Blood Mountain a few years back.  Woah that's good stuff!  And live they were prob the best live technical show I have seen since Mr. Bungle.
Is Kyuss Lives a tribute or are a few members on the road together?  Hopefully Oliveri is makin a living somewhere.

wolof7

Thanks Capt Scotty, never heard of Red Fang before today, I like!  :thumbsup:

nice brian posehn appearance too!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jun 07, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks Capt Scotty, never heard of Red Fang before today, I like!  :thumbsup:

nice brian posehn appearance too!
Yeah, that Red Fang is a solid track.  That Attack Attack however... :P

buaawwww

Quote from: bumble on Jun 07, 2011, 07:03 AM
I hadn't listened to metal for a while til I heard Mastodon's Blood Mountain a few years back.  Woah that's good stuff!  And live they were prob the best live technical show I have seen since Mr. Bungle.
Is Kyuss Lives a tribute or are a few members on the road together?  Hopefully Oliveri is makin a living somewhere.

It's KYUSS reformed sans Josh Homme.  Oliveri is in the band too.

Check this out:

Kyuss Lives.mp4