Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Who's willing to nerd it out with me on this one?  Can't wait to see this on Saturday!

Scale the Summit - Whales Live - Jerry's Pizza, Bakersfield CA 3 - 12 - 11
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Saw Scale the Summit last night at Sonar in Baltimore.  They were part of the Slaughter Survivor's tour that included some really crappy metal bands.  All in all there were 6 bands on the tour and an additional 7 local bands that played.  All in all, 13 bands for 14 bucks though I only went to see STS.  They were incredible!!!!  It saddened me to think that they opened for Dream Theater a few years back in front of thousands of fans and yet they weren't even headlining this middling lineup and playing in front of 50 fans.

They were all so friendly and approachable afterwards as well.  I can't say enough about these guys.   :thumbsup:

wolof7

New Mastodon - The Hunter; Streaming now on this website!!!

http://www.mastodonrocks.com/news/hunter-visualizer
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

MrWhippy

Enjoyed reading this thread. 

Is anyone into Wolves in the Throne Room?  I recently heard their new record, Celestial Lineage, and it is really great.  They have some similarities to Agalloch, so if that doesn't appeal to you this probably wouldn't either.

I need to check out the new Mastodon, and am excited to see them in Nov. with Dillinger Escape Plan, who are a seriously brutal live band.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Ruckus

Yeah, I'm going to see Mastodon in DC as well on this tour.  Can't wait!  I just finished reading a rather lengthy article on them in the October Decibel in which the graced the cover yet again.  Some of the interesting things that came from it were that they finally strayed from a concept album, switched artists for the 1st time (cover, merch, etc) and decided to be more melodic in their vocal stylings.  They referred to it as "having fun" and "growing up."  Something tells me that this album will offend much of their core fanbase but I have to say that I am quite enjoying what I'm hearing so far though I'm only through the 1st two tracks.

MrWhippy

Hey Ruckus, if you're in the DC area as well, maybe we can meet at a show sometime. 

Metal shows on my calendar are Boris/Liturgy at the Black Cat, Opeth in Baltimore, and  Mastodon at the 9:30 club. 

I've heard about half of the new Mastodon and really like it so far.  I like how they have gotten a little more accessible on the last couple records. 

Some great metal out of Georgia lately between Mastodon, Baroness, and Kylesa.

MarkW

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Some great metal out of Georgia lately between Mastodon, Baroness, and Kylesa.

Very true. 

Re your earlier post, I enjoyed Wolves in the Throneroom's  Two Hunters EP a lot - I'll have to check the new one out.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Hey Whippy, we'll definitely swap info before the DC show.  My girlfriend is the Mastodon diehard and we're going for her birthday.  I guess you're not going to Sword, Kyuss this Saturday at 930.

Also were you at the Kylesa Black Cat show last year?  We were one off the rail in front of Laura and were pretty damn bonkers into it.  Anyways, in her tour diary, she noted the Black Cat show as here favorite of the year for a rockin' crowd.  I was just shocked to hear any musician ever say something like that about a DC crowd.

Here is what I think is a brand new Baroness song halfway through though I guess it may be a cover?

Baroness - Best Friends Day 2011 - Partial

MrWhippy

Yes, I was at the Kylesa show in the back room of the Black Cat earlier this year.  My buddy and I were the first two people off the rail (if you can call it a rail), but more in front of the dark haired guy who plays guitar and sings.  If you saw an older (40) balding dude headbanging in front of that guy, that was me.

That was a great show.  I especially liked their cover of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", and I was kind of shocked when they didn't whip that one out at Bonnaroo this year, as it would have been perfect for that crowd.

I like Kyuss and The Sword, and actually got to see the original Kyuss lineup in 1993 (opening for Faith No More).  I would go to that show at the 9:30 club this saturday, but will instead be seeing Primus at the new Fillmore venue.  I hope that's a good choice.  I go way back with Primus and the new album is pretty respectable.

I would probably recognize you from that Kylesa show, as I have a pretty good memory of many of the other people who were right at the stage.  I also think I know who you are from MMJ shows, but not positive on that.

This is getting a little far afield from metal, but are you going to the Scratch Acid show in early November at the 9:30?

wolof7

Hey Ruckus what Baroness album should I start with? How did you enjoy the new Mastodon? I don't have the greatest ear for metal but I certainly thought it was solid...Blood Mountain is still my favorite although only have heard BM, CTS and the new one.... :beer:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hey Ruckus what Baroness album should I start with? How did you enjoy the new Mastodon? I don't have the greatest ear for metal but I certainly thought it was solid...Blood Mountain is still my favorite although only have heard BM, CTS and the new one.... :beer:
Either or. They're pretty even in the awesomeness level

Tired Eyes

I saw the Opeth/Katatonia tour in Hartford and night 1 in NYC.  These are the first Opeth shows I've seen without any death metal growls and it was a different experience for sure.  I don't have the new Opeth album (ordered it but haven't received yet).  My friend who came to the NYC show said it is very 70s-sounding...he mentioned Jethro Tull and King Crimson.  I recommend this show as it's quite good even without the death metal songs that Opeth fans know and love.
I saw Baroness once on a bill with Witchcraft and they killed it.
I'm a fan of Agalloch and don't mind the vocals as others upthread seem to do.

Ruckus

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
Either or. They're pretty even in the awesomeness level

Don't forget their 1st two EPs called 1st and 2nd.  They are simply amazing!  In fact, that was the steal of Record Store Day when my gf found the viny double EP for 13 bucks hiding in the back of the metal section.

You really can't go wrong with any of them and I think it's essential that you listen to 1st, 2nd, Red and Blue.

Ruckus

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yes, I was at the Kylesa show in the back room of the Black Cat earlier this year.  My buddy and I were the first two people off the rail (if you can call it a rail), but more in front of the dark haired guy who plays guitar and sings.  If you saw an older (40) balding dude headbanging in front of that guy, that was me.

That was a great show.  I especially liked their cover of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", and I was kind of shocked when they didn't whip that one out at Bonnaroo this year, as it would have been perfect for that crowd.

I like Kyuss and The Sword, and actually got to see the original Kyuss lineup in 1993 (opening for Faith No More).  I would go to that show at the 9:30 club this saturday, but will instead be seeing Primus at the new Fillmore venue.  I hope that's a good choice.  I go way back with Primus and the new album is pretty respectable.

I would probably recognize you from that Kylesa show, as I have a pretty good memory of many of the other people who were right at the stage.  I also think I know who you are from MMJ shows, but not positive on that.

This is getting a little far afield from metal, but are you going to the Scratch Acid show in early November at the 9:30?
I won't be at the Scratch Acid show.  As for the Black Cat show, I was the short, stocky Asian mutt that looks like a hispanic dude rockin' out with the long, black hair and beard.  I was with my girlfriend and one other guy.  I on the other hand have very little memory of that show ;D  My buddy mentioned the Floyd cover but I didn't recall it and had to look it up later.

Have a great time at the show tonight.  I haven't listened to any Primus since Pork Soda but the portion of the set I saw at Hangout Fest this year sounded excellent!

dragonboy

Lots of love for Kyuss, does anyone else has Lowrider's Ode To Io? Arguably Kyuss-by-numbers but they do a killer job!

Caravan - Lowrider

Flat Earth - Lowrider

Convoy - Lowrider

Lowrider - Dust Settlin'

Texas, Pt. 1-2 - Lowrider

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

walterfredo

RIP Flattus Maximus

http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/music/news/gwar-guitarist-found-dead-20111103

Saw these guys several years ago in Chico...what a show!

johnnYYac

11 part documentary on the history of metal.

Palladia starting next Friday 10 PM.

Metal Evolution
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Great to see some new faces in this thread :beer:  I actually have NEVER seen GWAR Walter.  Back in the day, there was always a reason why I couldn't make it when they were in town though friends would always come back raving.  Now I regret it. 

The new Russian Circles album Empros is really good.  They are touring on it but sadly not coming this way on this leg of the tour.

Russian Circles-- "Harper Lewis" @ Fun Fun Fun Fest

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Sep 22, 2011, 04:16 PM

I am sure Primus didn't disappoint, but Kyuss put on one hell of a show that night.  Nick was spot on and Garcia as well.  Green machine was epic and it was awesome getting to hear all of the old cuts.  Thought about checking them out at the Baltimore show, but have been doing too many shows here lately to make that one.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Primus was pretty great, actually.  One set of oldies, then a second set of the entire new album (which I'm not sure needed the full album treatment), then a couple more oldies for an encore.

Lucky for me I got a chance to see Kyuss when they came to Baltimore.  Great show and it was really good to see Nick Oliveri again.  Kyuss was one of those reunions that really felt like it was coming from the right place.  There was a really low turnout for the Kyuss show in Baltimore, which surprised me, as it's usually a pretty big metal town.

Brett, Rob, since you guys are in the DC area, are either of you going to go see Ghost at the Rock and Roll Hotel in Jan?  Seems like it could be an interesting show, but I'm not overly fond of their record. 

Brett, maybe I'll get to see you at the Jeff the Brotherhood/The Kills show at the 9:30 in Feb.