Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 22, 2011, 06:45 AM
Primus was pretty great, actually.  One set of oldies, then a second set of the entire new album (which I'm not sure needed the full album treatment), then a couple more oldies for an encore.

Lucky for me I got a chance to see Kyuss when they came to Baltimore.  Great show and it was really good to see Nick Oliveri again.  Kyuss was one of those reunions that really felt like it was coming from the right place.  There was a really low turnout for the Kyuss show in Baltimore, which surprised me, as it's usually a pretty big metal town.

Brett, Rob, since you guys are in the DC area, are either of you going to go see Ghost at the Rock and Roll Hotel in Jan?  Seems like it could be an interesting show, but I'm not overly fond of their record. 

Brett, maybe I'll get to see you at the Jeff the Brotherhood/The Kills show at the 9:30 in Feb.

The DC show was pretty packed but I still managed to snag third row in between sets.  I don't really consider Kyuss metal, much more harder rock IMO, but I guess they really classify as stoner rock, but that's not a very big type.

I hadn't seen that Ghost was playing at R&R, but I like the venue as I have seen Trail of Dead play there a few times and it is very intimate for those shows, but the acoustics could use some work.  I'll have to check out the date to see if it works for us.

You'll definately see us at the Jeff the Brotherhood show as I got tix as soon as they were announced, love that band.  We'll have to meet up and share a drink or something since we didn't get to talk too much at the MSG show besides at the end.  Cheers.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Ghost/Mastodon/Opeth US tour announced today! 

Ruckus, Manonthemoon, either of you guys in for the Fillmore Silver Spring date on May 9?
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Ruckus

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 31, 2012, 12:03 PM

Ruckus, Manonthemoon, either of you guys in for the Fillmore Silver Spring date on May 9?
Decided against this one but will be doing Meshugga and Baroness
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 31, 2012, 06:44 PM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 31, 2012, 12:03 PM

Decided against this one but will be doing Meshugga and Baroness

Yeah already got my tix for this, can't wait for it.  I have a friend who loves Opeth and have only heard good things about Ghost so should be a good show.
Alive or Just Breathing

NoVa_NoLa

I'm not a metal fan, but saw this article and thought of you guys:

¡Metal! 9 New Latin Metal Bands You Should Be Listening To

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/02/146137782/-metal-9-new-latin-metal-bands-you-should-be-listening-to?sc=tw&cc=twmp

MrWhippy

Thanks Sha!  I'll check it out.

Jon T.

I don't even know where to put this.  Behold...

YouTube - Slayer Goes To Church.flv

Jon T.

2:50 ---->  Hammertime

dragonboy

Imagine if you'd never heard anything by The God Machine...

The God Machine - Home - Music Video
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Fully

Jon - if going to church were anything like that video, I would go to church. Luckily it isn't.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 03, 2012, 11:12 AM
I don't even know where to put this.  Behold...

YouTube - Slayer Goes To Church.flv

holy sweet jesus damnation shit ass hell fire good lord all mighty tie a bone around me and let my heart be sucked through my eyebrows, the 2:13 mark onward of that video is some of the most amazing shit I ever saw. Ever.

Thank you! holy shit
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Devil Ledbetter

I like a heavy dose of sludge in my metal. Anyone else love Down? I saw them with The Melvins and Weedeater a couple of years ago.

Down - Dog Tired

We understand it's the '90s.

manonthemoon

Seen Down a couple of times, but once was right after Phil had a back procedure so he was pretty subdued so it was only so so.  Was underwhelmed with the other performance as well even though I love some of album especially "Eyes of the South" and Bury me in Smoke.  I saw him play with Super Joint Ritual back in 03 and he wailed then, but still nothing like the good old days when they ruled Metal in the 90's.
Alive or Just Breathing

Devil Ledbetter

Quote from: manonthemoon on Feb 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Seen Down a couple of times, but once was right after Phil had a back procedure so he was pretty subdued so it was only so so.  Was underwhelmed with the other performance as well even though I love some of album especially "Eyes of the South" and Bury me in Smoke.  I saw him play with Super Joint Ritual back in 03 and he wailed then, but still nothing like the good old days when they ruled Metal in the 90's.
I think I lucked out the night I saw him. He was on fire. I've seen a lot of concerts, and as a front man his energy and command of the audience were both over the top.  But I've talked to other friends who've seen Down concerts when Phil was using and they were really disappointed. I guess it's hit or miss with them.

I saw them at the Emerald Theatre (Mt. Clemens, MI) in Sept. 2009.
We understand it's the '90s.

Crispy

Mustaine's not the only one endorsing candidates now:

The Big Running List of 2012 Metal Endorsements
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

buaawwww

Just bought the new one and it's excellent.  This is one hell of a band right here...

Orange Goblin - Red Tide Rising Official Video

Ruckus

:o :o
Definitely the transition into Said and Done!  It's all good but from 7 minutes on.  Can't wait to see them again. 
Kylesa - Live @ Hellfest 2011 (full set)

EDIT:  Maybe I should actually watch the WHOLE thing before I talk.  Tired Climb is ridiculous!

Ruckus

Just revisiting some more Savannah sludge.  Sick drumming and dueling guitars always work.
Baroness - Jake Leg (Pro-Shot Live)

MrWhippy

Yes, there must be something in the water in Savannah, the amout of killer metal coming out of that town doesn't completely make sense.

I wish I could convince some of you DC-area folks to come with me to see Alcest and Deafheaven next week.  Alcest is a great mix of black metal and shoegazer, two great tastes that taste great together. 

wolof7

Let's re-ignite this thread!  :evil:

I found that the Sword has a new album coming out tomorrow called Apocryphon

you can listen here http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/5...after first listen I like. I know fans weren't into the concept album Warp Riders compared to their first 2 but I loved it. This album definitely harkens their hard rock, Sabbath sounds. Time will tell. they are coming to Providence next month and thinking of going.

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee