I love Built to Spill

Started by Tracy 2112, May 12, 2011, 01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippitoes22

Quote from: ChronicHunger on May 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
There version of Cortez The Killer may be better than neils... :-\

This is hard for me to say but, BTS's version of "CORTEZ"(off their 1999 Built to spill "Live" album) IS better than Neil's. Don't get me wrong Neil owns the song, BUT BTS fucking crushes it on that recording. Do yourself a favor and get the remastered, RSD re-issue from 2 or 3 years ago. It's an entire side of a double lp. I promise you will not regret it. But that cover is just the tip off the iceberg. Doug Martsch is probably one of the most influential, underrated guitar players and song writers from the 90's til now. "Perfect From Now On" and "Keep it like a Secret" are IMO must have LP's for any serious music lover. And his solo album "Now you Know" is just beautiful and, if memory serves, almost totally acoustic 6 & 12 guitar. Now go get listening. Great, great stuff.

Just one guys opinion  :thumbsup:

P.S. Saw Doug(BTS) sing Dream Operator(Talking Heads cover) at Slims in S.F. and I wound up crying like a 5 yr old girl. Just beautiful!

P.P.S. Saw them close 3 back to back shows at the Metro in Chicago w/FREE BIRD. F'N AWESOME!!!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

IMeMine

Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

Murph

Currently in a deep Built to Spill black hole on Spotify, and I have no intention of coming out anytime soon.  I'm loving this..

tippitoes22

Hey, Murph, No need to climb outta the hole. I've been in mine since I saw "Hazy" live YEARS ago, and Doug filled ALL my holes   :happy:

Just one guys opinion :thumbsup:

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

EverythingChanges

Carry the Zero is one of the best songs ever!

Looking forward to the new album. Here's to hoping they tour the Midwest.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Horace Hucker

Love this band. I like all their albums, Perfect From Now On is a classic.

Murph

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Feb 18, 2015, 08:19 PM
Hey, Murph, No need to climb outta the hole. I've been in mine since I saw "Hazy" live YEARS ago, and Doug filled ALL my holes   :happy:

Just one guys opinion :thumbsup:

uhhhh... what?? haha

But yea, I think I love this band.  Immediately went to the record store by me and bought whatever they had. I got Keep It Like A Secret and the Live CDs.  I dont see them coming out of my car cd player for a very long time.  Also, really hoping this new album brings on a tour.

Murph

IMeMine

Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

EverythingChanges

Pains me to say this: Living Zoo > Big Decisions

EverythingChanges

Built to Spill is coming to Indy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vespachick

Jealous!! They're opening here for Death Cab, and I'm not sure want to go to that show, so I'm pretty bummed.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Crispy

Built to Spill is coming to OKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

vespachick

EverythingChanges

Quote from: vespachick on Mar 02, 2015, 01:19 PM
Jealous!! They're opening here for Death Cab, and I'm not sure want to go to that show, so I'm pretty bummed.

I'm so sorry, that blows! I'd still probably go to that show, but I would also much prefer the Built to Spill headlining show.

vespachick

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 02, 2015, 02:06 PM
Quote from: vespachick on Mar 02, 2015, 01:19 PM

I'm so sorry, that blows! I'd still probably go to that show, but I would also much prefer the Built to Spill headlining show.

We're still considering it.  The bigger problem (beyond Death Cab) is that the venue is known for being too quiet because of noise ordinances.  It's a pretty fun venue, but it is never loud enough for me.  Last time they (BTS) opened there it was for the Flaming Lips and we were only going to stay for BTS.  We learned that day that the Lips put on a fun show!!

Woldie

Built to Spill at Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids!!!!  Holy shit!  May 31!
"The owls are not what they seem."

Murph

It's been a month straight now, I find it very hard to listen to anything other than Built To Spill.  I haven't fell this deep into a band so quickly in a long while.  Great news about the new album and tour!

Horace Hucker

Another song out, "Never Be the Same," and it's another goodie. Most underrated band of all time? Have been so good for such a long time with no duds.