I love Built to Spill

Started by Tracy 2112, May 12, 2011, 01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Woldie on Mar 02, 2015, 03:05 PM
Built to Spill at Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids!!!!  Holy shit!  May 31!

One of my favorite bands playing at one of my favorite breweries???  I wish this was on a Saturday and not a Sunday?!  I'm about 5 hours away so that's a bit too far to pull off for me...  :embarrassed:

Not really any dates close so I hope to see more dates added...  :beer:

Horace Hucker

10,000 years from now, "When I'm Blind" will be used to teach cultural anthropology students what an electric guitar was.

vespachick

2-Nighter at the Wonder Ballroom. Hell yea!  :beer:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

EverythingChanges

Their show in Indy was the most disappointing show I've been to in recent memory. I hate saying it too. Their sound was poor. And it  as hard to hear Doug's vocals over the band. Most of the band seemed to just stand there. The setlist was for the most part lacking as well. Carry the Zero and Going Against Your Mind were the highlights, but we had to wait until the end of the set for those. The crowd was the worst I've seen too. They were moshing in front of us, and they just seemed extra reckless and obnoxious. I love this band, but his was disappointing on almost all fronts.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Murph

Still been on my nearly year Built to Spill kick, and I'm finally seeing them tonight!  Pretty pumped for this one.  Best venue in the city also, Bowery Ballroom..

LBSUNFLWR

The Bowery Ballroom is the coolest! Have fun.

My boyfriend is a big fan and has seen them a few times but I have not. We will be seeing them in Louisville at Headliners October 6th.

Murph

I could watch Doug Martsch play guitar forever.  God damn, he is good.

tippitoes22

Quote from: Murph on Sep 24, 2015, 03:29 PM
Quote from: Murph on Sep 24, 2015, 03:29 PM

Dug is incredible. He is also a humble, genually nice person.
BTS IS ONE OF THE BEST LIVE BANDS EVER!
His guitar work on BTS's live version of CORTEZ is, dare I say, better than Neil's.
I've been seeing them since the late 90's, and have never been disappointed.
He did a cover of The Talking Heads-Dream Operator at Slims in SF years ago that brought my to tears. His 6 & 12 string solo lp is a thing of beauty. If you get a chance, I highly recommend seeing him/them.

I know I just mentioned 2 covers. I believe His solo work speaks for itself.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

johnnYYac

I meant to report back on a great time seeing Built To Spill here in Iowa, but have been busy dealing with health issues.  Better late than never...

Built To Spill headlined a show at Codfish Hollow Barnstormers in Maquoketa, Iowa on Saturday, September 12.  Opening act was Clarke and the Himselfs and Crosss.

The venue was the highlight of the experience.  I left home around 4pm and got there in about 2 hours, including a few pitstops.  As I entered Maquoketa, I took a few shots en route...

Some (free) camping in the parking field.

The hay-free "hayride" from parking to the barn, about a mile down an ole dirt road...

Then, my phone died...

Clarke and the Himselfs was very good, a novelty act of sorts.  Clarke, a 27 year old fella and all-around nice guy, is from Boise, ID.  He plays guitar whilst sitting at a stool behind a drum kit.  He holds a drumstick in his strumming hand and manages a sort of Syd Barrett one-man-band vibe.  Here's a video, not from Codfish Hollow...

The next band, Crosss, was a surprise, as I didn't know they would be playing.  Not familiar with them, but it was pretty great.  Here's a taste, again not from Codfish Hollow...

Finally, Built to Spill.  I lost my position near the stage to head for a beer and a chance to finally meet Iowa native forum member Dan, aka Hawkeye, and his then-very-pregnant wife (congrats on the new baby, Hawkeye!).  From the soundboard, I enjoyed a solid set.

Here's the thing, I only know Built to Spill from two experiences- this show and another in Iowa City last year.  I had ripped a few of their CDs from the library, but rarely listened to them.  So, my only experience with Built to Spill are two live shows in very small venues, a year apart.  I don't know any of the songs by name, don't know any of the members by name, but found both experiences to be just superb... psychedelic punk? 

Some of you hardcore BtS fans might cringe at my wet-behind-the-ears approach, but sometimes I like just catching bands with a reputation, avoiding or not going out of my way to absorb their discography or memorize track titles and lyrics.  The lack of such baggage makes for a stress-free experience. 

Here are some videos from Built to Spill at Codfish Hollow two weeks ago...

:thumbsup:

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LBSUNFLWR

Built to Spill show at Headliners last night was awesome!
it was my first time seeing them and I was impressed. I don't know too much of their music but still knew 3-4 songs they played and then they ended the encore with a cover of "How Soon is Now" and really did it well!

great show!

AlwxanderD10

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 07, 2015, 10:41 AM
Built to Spill show at Headliners last night was awesome!
it was my first time seeing them and I was impressed. I don't know too much of their music but still knew 3-4 songs they played and then they ended the encore with a cover of "How Soon is Now" and really did it well!

great show!
Was there as well! Awesome show.

ralph

Australian tour announced for March! Awesome!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon2

I just discovered this band on Friday! My youngest son, 23, turned me on to You In Reverse. Blew me brain!! The first band I have heard since MMJ, and probably long before I discovered them, that "Gets What I Like", from the first song. Listened to about 5 albums the past weekend. Vocals can't touch Jim, but the musicianship, and the lack of wasted notes and just fuckin rock heaven, makes them the perfect band for OBH4.

sillyboob

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 14, 2017, 02:22 AM
I just discovered this band on Friday! My youngest son, 23, turned me on to You In Reverse. Blew me brain!! The first band I have heard since MMJ, and probably long before I discovered them, that "Gets What I Like", from the first song. Listened to about 5 albums the past weekend. Vocals can't touch Jim, but the musicianship, and the lack of wasted notes and just fuckin rock heaven, makes them the perfect band for OBH4.

I totally agree.  I could see Built To Spill playing OBH4.  They'd be great!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

rincon2

They sure have a ton of songs with outros that live could rival Phone.

DaydreamNation

If BtS played OBH I guess I'd have to take time off and save the money to go! They're one of my favorite live acts of all time (next to MMJ, DBT and Springsteen)
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

rincon2

Quote from: DaydreamNation on Mar 17, 2017, 01:16 AM
If BtS played OBH I guess I'd have to take time off and save the money to go! They're one of my favorite live acts of all time (next to MMJ, DBT and Springsteen)
I have never seen Built To Spill. I have seen Springsteen 6 times DBT 5 times, and MMJ 15 times.

DaydreamNation

Quote from: rincon2 on Apr 27, 2017, 10:21 PM
Quote from: DaydreamNation on Mar 17, 2017, 01:16 AM
I have never seen Built To Spill. I have seen Springsteen 6 times DBT 5 times, and MMJ 15 times.
You gotta change that! I'll be seeing them later this year at Riot Fest doing Keep It Like a Secret in full. Kinda wary of seeing them in this new era without the triple-guitar attack...but if any man can make one guitar sound like three it's Doug Martsch!!!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

parkervb

this thread popping up is perfect timing to push me to jump in to BTS. I was listening to a Google Play station for Live Modern Rock tracks and they played Virginia Reel Around The Fountain and I loved it immediately. Hadn't jumped in yet (too much time listening to White Reaper and the new Kendrick)
Don't you ever turn it off