Enduring songs of Circuital

Started by adl6690, May 12, 2011, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adl6690

I know it's early, but which songs from Circuital do yall think will be the most notable contributions to their catalogue? Also, which will be live staples?

IMO
Victory Dance
Circuital
Wonderful
Holdin on to black Metal
Slow, Slow Tune

The rest is good, I really like the keyboard work on The Day is Coming, and You Wanna Freak Out sounds cool from the first two minutes or so that we got. First Light sounds like it could really benefit from the live setting.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

halesdd

Quote from: BH on May 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
It's definately early!

I definitely agree!  However, I believe Movin Away is an amazing song.  But then again I love all the songs on the album.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

sweatboard

Quote from: halesdd on May 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
It's definately early!

I definitely agree!  However, I believe Movin Away is an amazing song.  But then again I love all the songs on the album.

What's wrong with you man?  You need to talk more about the lack of guitar solos, how the album doesn't close with Don Dante and how you don't really feel the need to listen to it again because it wasn't It Still Moves or At Dawn.........Get With It!!!!
There's Still Time.........

halesdd

Quote from: sweatboard on May 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Quote from: halesdd on May 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
It's definately early!

What's wrong with you man?  You need to talk more about the lack of guitar solos, how the album doesn't close with Don Dante and how you don't really feel the need to listen to it again because it wasn't It Still Moves or At Dawn.........Get With It!!

LoL! Circuital is an awesome album. I love it.

The DARK

I agree, it is pretty early. Besides, other than the title track and Wonderful, we have no idea how often the band will look to play each of them live. We may hear You Wanna Freak Out from every show from now til the day Jim dies... there's no way to know yet.

That said, I'll play along.  ;)

Victory Dance will endure for sure. It's unique, perhaps the most epic song on the album, and has so much potential in a live setting.

Circuital is the first song released and is already a live staple. It's gonna stick around in our heads, or at least the setlists, for a while.

The Day Is Coming, so far, seems like one for the Circuital tour alone. It's a good song, but unless they stretch it out live, I don't think it has the same staying power as the others.

Wonderful will endure, because it already has. It may be another one we eventually take for granted, but it will always be there with us, much like Golden.

Outta My System could go either way very easily. It could be played a lot early and fade from memory as the tour goes on, like Thank You Too did, or it could turn into a staple for years to come.

Holdin on to Black Metal will never be forgotten... it's THE breakout wild and fun rocker on an otherwise easygoing album. Dunno if playing it live will be a problem, given that female voices and horns aren't part of the band yet, but if they get the arrangement right, it'll be the most played rock song from their catalogue behind One Big Holiday.

Haven't heard First Light and You Wanna Freak Out yet; no opinion given.

Slow Slow Tune is one that feels like it could be the definitive live jam here. It could very well turn into one of the showstoppers, and even if it doesn't, it's one to be remembered.

Dunno about Movin Away. I only heard it once, and it's a lovely, sad song, but its too soon to tell what its legacy will be.
In another time, in another place, in another face

MarkW

It's definately early!

Are we really talking about "enduring songs" from an album that's not released for another two weeks?

Next thread due:  Bored with Circuital - when's the next album out?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jef

only one i'm really sure about at this point is Circuital.  i like the album and it has several tracks that i consider very strong, but Circuital is kind of like Smokin From Shootin and Touch Me Pt 2 - you just instantly know it is going to be in the live canon immediaty, rightfully beside some of the a-list classics on ISM and Z.

Victory Dance could be awesome live.  will be interested to hear the dynamics of that one.  even though i think First Light is kind of a weak studio track, i think that one could be the Aluminum Park of this record, as far as an album track becoming a monster live (though i really liked Aluminum Park all along).

excited to hear these songs at Bonnaroo and on tour.

Jef

halesdd

Quote from: The DARK on May 12, 2011, 11:42 PM
I agree, it is pretty early. Besides, other than the title track and Wonderful, we have no idea how often the band will look to play each of them live. We may hear You Wanna Freak Out from every show from now til the day Jim dies... there's no way to know yet.

That said, I'll play along.  ;)

Victory Dance will endure for sure. It's unique, perhaps the most epic song on the album, and has so much potential in a live setting.

Circuital is the first song released and is already a live staple. It's gonna stick around in our heads, or at least the setlists, for a while.

The Day Is Coming, so far, seems like one for the Circuital tour alone. It's a good song, but unless they stretch it out live, I don't think it has the same staying power as the others.

Wonderful will endure, because it already has. It may be another one we eventually take for granted, but it will always be there with us, much like Golden.

Outta My System could go either way very easily. It could be played a lot early and fade from memory as the tour goes on, like Thank You Too did, or it could turn into a staple for years to come.

Holdin on to Black Metal will never be forgotten... it's THE breakout wild and fun rocker on an otherwise easygoing album. Dunno if playing it live will be a problem, given that female voices and horns aren't part of the band yet, but if they get the arrangement right, it'll be the most played rock song from their catalogue behind One Big Holiday.

Haven't heard First Light and You Wanna Freak Out yet; no opinion given.

Slow Slow Tune is one that feels like it could be the definitive live jam here. It could very well turn into one of the showstoppers, and even if it doesn't, it's one to be remembered.

Dunno about Movin Away. I only heard it once, and it's a lovely, sad song, but its too soon to tell what its legacy will be.

I think what is determined to be legendary is more self interpreted then anything.  Each song of theirs for me holds a special meaning in one way or another so in that respect they are all legendary.  Regarding "You Wanna Freak Out", the leaked version is only 1:41 minutes in length where as the album released version is (from what someone was telling me) over 4 minutes so it will all go with how the rest of the song plays out. 

Quote from: adl6690 on May 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
I know it's early, but which songs from Circuital do yall think will be the most notable contributions to their catalogue? Also, which will be live staples?

My opinion is Black Metal, You Wanna Freak Out, Victory Dance, Circuital, and Wonderful.  The thing is that some of Circuital's songs can be interchanged with other works and rotated in their setlists.  Like "First Light", I can see being rotated with "Aluminum Park".  "The Day Is Coming" being rotated with "Two Halves" and "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt 1".    But doesnt make any rest of the songs on the album less important or good, just that previous work could be used interchangably.  Just can't wait for the tour!!!