Main Menu

Pink Floyd

Started by johnnYYac, May 17, 2011, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: DewieCox on May 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hard to top Obscured By Clouds-The Wall.....

Favorite album is the one from that run^^^^that I'm listening to at any given moment, but I can't say anything they did is better than DSOTM with a straight face. It's the perfect album.

Don't think I could narrow it down to one song, but Dogs, Echoes, Time, Wotsuh The Deal and Shine On...... are up there.

Pompeii is majestic, and only Gilmour's Remember That Night comes close to me. Pulse is awesome, but I think the sound of the band could be better.

I don't really care about pics of them.

The wrong kid died.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

e_wind

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM

Favorite album is the one from that run^^^^that I'm listening to at any given moment, but I can't say anything they did is better than DSOTM with a straight face. It's the perfect album.

Don't think I could narrow it down to one song, but Dogs, Echoes, Time, Wotsuh The Deal and Shine On...... are up there.

Pompeii is majestic, and only Gilmour's Remember That Night comes close to me. Pulse is awesome, but I think the sound of the band could be better.

The wrong kid died.

got 'em
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the favorite live recording thread

"The Wall" Originally by Pink Floyd (performed by Mariachi Cabos)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

patrickbateman

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM

The wrong kid died.

HE NEEDS MORE BLANKETS AND HE NEEDS LESS BLANKETS

johnnYYac

Quote from: patrickbateman on Jun 12, 2011, 11:32 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM

The wrong kid died.

HE NEEDS MORE BLANKETS AND HE NEEDS LESS BLANKETS
The only movie I have as DVD, BluRay, and digital copy.  Love it.

davymac

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
To stir up the pot:

The Best Pink Floyd Album- Animals

The Best Pink Floyd Song- Echoes

The Best Pink Floyd Video- Live at Pompeii

I hate to be stereotypical, but Dark side is popular/awesome for a reason, it is most definitely my favorite!  I used to really like ummagumma for some reason too (careful with that axe Eugene).  Dogs might be my favorite song though

jcoyote

Quote from: headhunter on May 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
To stir up the pot:

The Best Pink Floyd Album- Animals

The Best Pink Floyd Song- Echoes

The Best Pink Floyd Video- Live at Pompeii

I think it is interesting that you chose Echoes at your favorite song, Pompeii as your favorite video, and then Animals as your favorite album.  I thought you would have went with Meddle.  I myself would choose Meddle or Atom Heart Mother.  I bought a used gold Meddle CD many years ago for $8.  It is delightful. 

First time I ever really "heard" Pink Floyd was a BBC in concert presentation with John Peel.   I guess it was from the Meddle tour, with One of These Days, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Green Is the Colour, If (which I understood as "Earth"), Fat Old Sun, and then closing with the song that "takes up the entire second side of our new album," Echoes.  I still get chill bumps listening to that show.  Seek it out if you don't have it.

woodnymph

Somehow I missed this "band-wagon" thread!!

Wheeewww what's to be said........

Just played Meddle on my drive down from the mountains on the Blue Ridge Parkway Sunday night...... holy shit.  The FOG, and the swirls and the headlights in the fog..... and the bats.... and the clear fogless areas being consumed by the fog blowing in strong along the exposed ridge line...... I went with my friend whose 21st birthday will be Oct. 3, and he hasn't heard much Floyd at this point... I hope the experience left an impression.

"And as I rise above the tree lines and the clouds..... I look down................"

These guys are just unreal...... I remember lots of first impressions of listening to them..... I remember climbing into my tent during a spacey night at a music fest, and my neighbors were blasting Pigs (3 Different Ones) before I'd ever heard Animals... and I just remember laying back in my tent and watching that album unfold hahah

Words don't rightly describe 'em...........
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

johnnYYac

This MMJ-inspired Pink Floyd thread prompted the following:

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 29, 2011, 07:25 PM
I wonder if the live CD is the same as this?

Bonus tracks:  Tune Up into ECHOES!!!  (When I listened to track 11 - Tune Up - I was reminded of MMJ tuning right before Mahgeeta)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FHA4QKST

johnnYYac

touchingmept2

Just caught Dierks Bentley's cover of "Wish You Were Here" not too shabby for a  country artist! :beer:
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

johnnYYac

This really belongs here:

I also found THIS on LMA, which includes some early WYWH and Animals tracks, from an aud, but excellent insight into SOYCD, Raving and Drooling (which eventually becomes Sheep), and You Gotta Be Crazy (which eventually becomes Dogs).

PINK FLOYD
Wembley 1974: "Chuckness Remaster" [no label, 2CD]
Live at Empire Pool, Wembley, London, UK, November 16, 1974. Complete show. CD1 Ex- AUDIENCE stereo. CD2 Ex pre-FM SBD/AUD/ AUD matrix stereo.

Lineup:
David Gilmour - guitars, vocals
Nick Mason - percussion, vocals
Roger Waters - bass, vocals
Richard Wright - keyboards, vocals

Disc 1 - Set 1 [53:46]
Track 101. Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-9 [21:25]
Track 102. Raving and Drooling [14:16]
Track 103. You Gotta Be Crazy [18:05]

Disc 2 - Set 2 & Encore [1:15:46]
Track 201. Speak To Me [02:28]
Track 202. Breathe [02:59]
Track 203. On the Run [05:02]
Track 204. Time [06:32]
Track 205. The Great Gig In The Sky [06:41]
Track 206. Money [08:05]
Track 207. Us And Them [07:49]
Track 208. Any Colour You Like [07:30]
Track 209. Brain Damage [03:39]
Track 210. Eclipse [01:48]
Track 211. Echoes [23:13]

johnnYYac

Well, things are getting might PINK lately, what with the release of the remastered Pink Floyd catalog, including massive box sets of Dark Side, Wish, and The Wall.

I figured I'd dust off my collection and share some of the non-commercial stuff I've got, like the Wembley '74 boot above.

First installment, another audio boot, called "Animal Insticts", from Oakland, CA 5-9-77.

Click the artwork (included) to download.

johnnYYac

Next, Boston from June 18, 1975.

Again, click the artwork (there's actually a number of different CD inserts to choose from with this one, included in the download).

johnnYYac

One more for today...

A funky, grainy video of some live Floyd broadcast on KQED public TV in San Fran circa 1970.  Enjoy some live Atom Heart Mutha!

An Hour with Pink Floyd

Featuring David Gilmore!

full setlist:

Atom Heart Mother
Cymbaline
Grantchester Meadows
Green is the Colour
Careful With That Axe Eugene
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

wolof7

Thanks for the bootlegs everyone.

As much as I love the Floyd they are just money-grubbing with re-releasing their albums and a new greatest hits package every 10 yrs. Give the fans what they want....several official live releases from the late 60's - late 70's.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

FiddleCastro

:D love this thread
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Luna Moth

Some dude named pinkdarkechoes has been putting up old bootlegs on youtube. this is one of the better sounding and i have been in a trance at work since the keyboard hit on grantchester meadows and transitioned to AD

Pink Floyd - Civic Auditorium Santa Monica 1970