Main Menu

Gary Clark Jr.

Started by columba78, May 17, 2011, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marino13

Quote from: marino13 on Oct 09, 2012, 03:12 PM
I just got an email that the first bootleg is not coming today and has been pushed back to 10/22.  Was really looking forward to it to tide me over until the album release.  Does anyone know if the bootlegs are downloads or if they are cd's?

Got an email from Warner Music saying my cd and t-shirt have shipped.  It said the first bootleg and the bonus tracks are going to be a digital download.  Didn't specify for the 2nd bootleg, but I assume it will also be digital.

Tempted to listen to the album on I-tunes, but I think I'll wait. 

For those that have listened, does "Please Come Home" have the amazing guitar solo in the middle that he plays live?  If it doesn't, I want to get rid of my disappointment now.

joely_91

Quote from: marino13 on Oct 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
I just got an email that the first bootleg is not coming today and has been pushed back to 10/22.  Was really looking forward to it to tide me over until the album release.  Does anyone know if the bootlegs are downloads or if they are cd's?

Got an email from Warner Music saying my cd and t-shirt have shipped.  It said the first bootleg and the bonus tracks are going to be a digital download.  Didn't specify for the 2nd bootleg, but I assume it will also be digital.

For those that have listened, does "Please Come Home" have the amazing guitar solo in the middle that he plays live?  If it doesn't, I want to get rid of my disappointment now.

Pretty sure it does :) only listened to it once since buying album but yeah i do remember thinking that was pretty bad ass solo in it!

BTW if anyone is watching /listening to the bridge school stream this weekend and can capture the audio of gary's performance i'd be forever grateful, wont have internet for the next week :(

oistheone

Enjoyable album but the SUPER MODERN production leaves my ears a little fatigued. I like my music LOUD and I find it hard to get through the whole album in one sitting because of how maxed out the whole thing sounds.

Having said that, I think this is a good album. I still absolutely ADORE the wonderfully saccharine "Please Come Home", and I'm so glad he captured a great version in studio that matches the beauty of when he performed it live. Of course, it's hard not to love the hardcore fuzz blues tracks -- THAT is Gary Clark Jr. to me. It's clear ol' Gary has HUGE crossover potential with all the pop tracks on Blak and Blu , and I'm very curious to see what direction he goes from here. Blues hero or Lenny Kravitz 2.0?

bold992006

I think the whole thing is pretty killer.  I think a lot of first reactions are "I wish the whole thing was like these one or two tracks" but I think the best thing about it is the diversity.  I think if all the tracks were similar is would get a little boring.  He keeps it interesting and I think live a lot of these tracks are going to sound very different.

I've seen him twice at festivals but really looking forward to seeing him do a headlining gig in a few weeks.

mahg33ta

mike I assume you are going to the Sinclair-  which night are you going to?

justbcuzido

This guy is incredible live. Saw him tear it up at ACL (to a hometown crowd) last week. Big things are coming his way. He is starting to get well deserved exposure. I even heard him on ESPN last night.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

bold992006

Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
mike I assume you are going to the Sinclair-  which night are you going to?

Yeah I'm going to the Friday night show.  I was going to both but Jesse Dee's cd release is the next night at Brighton Music Hall.  That is going to be a good show as well.

marino13

Quote from: joely_91 on Oct 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Quote from: marino13 on Oct 19, 2012, 11:44 AM

Pretty sure it does :) only listened to it once since buying album but yeah i do remember thinking that was pretty bad ass solo in it!

BTW if anyone is watching /listening to the bridge school stream this weekend and can capture the audio of gary's performance i'd be forever grateful, wont have internet for the next week :(

I'm glad there is at least a short solo on it, but it doesn't compare to the four minute live solo I saw at Newport.  Here is one that comes close, from the 2:00 to 5:15 mark.

Gary Clark Jr. - Please Come Home (Dave Matthews Band Caravan Chicago 2011) [Live]

Overall, I do like the album (even most of the R&B stuff) and I'm excited to see some of the songs in the live setting. 

capt. scotty

Anyone seeing GCJr in Philly this saturday?! Im loving this album, cant wait
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

I didnt think any album could surpass Menomena's Moms this year, but I think Blak & Blu has..There really isnt a song I dont like on it, but I like a lot of music so I can see how some people wouldnt like it quite as much, especially if they were hoping for a blues/rock album. And while many of those songs are my favorites, I still love the hip hop influenced The Life, early RnR styled Travis County, and the R&B bonus track Soul nearly as much. The album flows great, it hits you in the face with a rocking song, then usually takes a step back with the next song, and then comes right back with another good rocker. Cant ask for anything more.

I just personally wish this song was on B&B, although it is on my version. I cut out You Saved Me (needed to for 80min cutoff), and threw in Dont Owe You as track 2 between Aint Messin' & Train Pulls In, have the 2 bonus songs (Breakdown & Soul) towards the end, then Nextdoor Neighbor Blues as the closer. IMO thats how the album shouldve been proper so maybe thats swaying me, but I love the album regardless

Gary Clark Jr. - Don't Owe You a Thang - Live at Nashville Sunday Night
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ffghtrs

The man is brilliant and is killing it.  Alabama SHakes too.  ALso an unknown band i love is Melissa and Paul from new jersey, i saw them in Seattle this summer opening for a great punk band called Success, could not get enough of their set.  And Success, so very good!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Mr. White

Gary Clark Jr. will be playing the first half of Austin City Limits on PBS tonight (2/16/13). Alabama Shakes play the second half of the show!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

capt. scotty

Quote from: Mr. White on Feb 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
Gary Clark Jr. will be playing the first half of Austin City Limits on PBS tonight (2/16/13). Alabama Shakes play the second half of the show!

:thumbsup:

kotchishm

Another new track. "The Healing" was AWESOME at the surprise 9:30 Club show a few weeks back.

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

jimsflyingv

jimsflyingv

Absolutely disappointed in the new album. 60 percent of the album sound like R.Kelly........what a bummer.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Sep 12, 2015, 08:12 AM
Absolutely disappointed in the new album. 60 percent of the album sound like R.Kelly........what a bummer.

Agreed!  I'm glad I didn't pre-order the album.  If he wants to go the R&B route that is fine, but they need to stop billing him as the next gen blues guitar guy.  I'm still going to see him in Philly, but more so because a buddy of mine loves him and hasn't seen him yet.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

ManNamedTruth

I only listened through once but I thought it sounded like a solid album to me. Also the RnB influence was there on his last album so no surprises there. With that said he is much better live than on album, so definitely don't pass up any opportunity to see him live. The next generation blues player thing will make more sense after a live show.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!