Let It Roll.... A George Harrison Thread

Started by woodnymph, May 21, 2011, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Not to focus too much on the negative, but yeah, the story of Patti, George and Clapton is definitely the "living in the material world" side of George, which is a part of his complexity.  They both cheated on one another and they both were using lots of judgement-impairing substances on a regular basis.  I think the blame can be evenly spread amongst both of them and their social circle and what was socially acceptable behavior for men and women in those times, even for so called "enlightened" rock stars.  Its an entertaining book, but Patti appears to be a little bit passive in terms of letting life happen to her rather than using her personal power to make choices, IMO, but that was how society was back then, so its hard to blame her too much.

Another interesting book with more perspective on the story is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Miss-ODell-Nights-Beatles-Clapton/dp/1416590935/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354555126&sr=1-12&keywords=life+with+the+beatles  She lived with George and Patti for a few years.

You could also read Clapton's autobiography, but it might really tarnish your respect for him, as he bravely lays out so many of his character flaws and his really truly poor treatment of Patti.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

MamaKel

Listening to All Things Must Pass because a young man died today.  He had children.  Needless to say, it was unexpected.  It is tragic.  But it seems to me a reminder that nothing living in the material world is immune.  The rich man and the poor man. The sinner and the saint.  The famous and the forgotten.  All things must pass away.  So what does that do to now?  Doesn't that make now all there is?  And if now is all there is...what do we do with now?  Do we hate? Do we quarrel? Do we hoard? Or do we love? Do we give? Do we share?  Hence, the power of now.  It is always a moment away from change.  For better or worse, we are promised nothing more and nothing less than right now.  Might as well fill it up with love...it's the only dream in life that lasts.

woodnymph

Thanks MamaKel, beautiful message

You can take a horse to water--
But you can't make him drink
Oh no, oh no, oh no
You can have it all layed/staked out in front of you
But it still don't make you think!

George Harrison Horse to the Water
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ChiefOKONO

ranyart

I downloaded this and we listened to random bits via shuffle while road tripping over the weekend.  Like so many others I love this album, and the additional tracks are definitely a good listen and very interesting.  I was a kid when this album came out and I remember hearing My Sweet Lord constantly on the radio, which of course I would sing to, and it drove my parents (especially my mother) crazy because of the Hare Krishna mantra.  I can't wait to listen to it properly in full.  It's so good to hear these musicians having so much fun!