Carl to appear on Karen Elson album

Started by weeniebeenie, Mar 23, 2010, 08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weeniebeenie

Here's the article:

Though it's difficult to write a news item about her without mentioning "supermodel" and "Jack White's wife," the stunningly beautiful Karen Elson is set to release her debut album, The Ghost Who Walks, on May 25th, via Third Man/XL Recordings.

All composed in her adopted hometown of Nashville (where, consequently, Third Man's HQ is located), the lovely 11 songs that populate The Ghost Who Walks were penned "almost exclusively in the sanctuary of a closet in her bedroom." And the story goes that Elson "took many months of cajoling" from White before she felt comfortable enough to introduce her famous husband to her own works. It obviously took only mere moments before White was determined to helm the production, and get his wife to the studio.

The band that was formed for the Ghost sessions were close friends, as the Third Man family is wont to do. Elson's own Citizen's Band collaborator Rachelle Garniez provided accordian and additional vocals, White again sat behind the drum kit, Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs/Dead Weather) was on bass, My Morning Jacket's Carl Broemel took to the pedal steel, and Jackson Smith (aka Meg White's husband) sat in on guitar.

Combining her loves of Tim Egan's The Worst Hard Time ("100 Years From Now" and "Mouths To Feed)," country music ("Cruel Summer"), blues ("The Truth is in the Dirt") and quite possibly murder ballads ("Stolen Roses"), The Ghost Who Walks is yet another jewel in Elson's already fearsome and inspiring crown.

http://www.sentimentalistmag.com/2010/03/22/karen-elson-confirms-album-details/

How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

Cool find.  Thanks weeniebeenie.  I was toying with the idea of looking for this studio, Third Man, during my "day off" between shows in Nashville on April 22nd.  Apparently, Jack White's Third Man studio also has a storefront selling their recordings.  FYI, anyone else hanging out in N'ville an extra day before heading to Atlanta.

EDIT- Checked out the YouTube vid for "The Ghost Who Walks" at the bottom of the article.  Carl appears, but isn't playing.  

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNhwMDC1yM&feature=player_embedded[/media]
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ALady

Dang, I wanted to see her over the weekend at SXSW but didn't make it to her set.  I wonder if Carl was there?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires