I want something new! Or old!

Started by Tracy 2112, Jul 11, 2011, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Jul 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
Frank Black - Frank Black (1993)

Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Great Highway (2003)

Two of my favorite records of all time.  Both will blow you away!!

OK, I have the Frank Black and it's one of my favs.

don't have (or know) Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Great Highway     ???

(and for the record, sweetbored turned me on to Explosions in the Sky, Spoon and Superchunk, so his street creds are legit)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

Sun Kil Moon is pretty great.

sweatboard

The first time I heard that Sun kil Moon record I had a 103 degree temperature and I was laid on on someonelse bed and they put this on in the other room and I melted into it and when I awoke in a pile of sweat the only thing I cared about was finding out who I had been listening to.  Penny is correct, it grows and grows on you.  Some of the guitar tones on this album make me wonder from time to time if isn't THE best record ever made.....and then the vocals of course
There's Still Time.........

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 12, 2011, 01:17 PM

don't have (or know) Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Great Highway     ???

Oh HELL yeah, Ghosts of the Great Highway is the holy grail of LPs for me. If you like Sun Kil Moon, you've got to get Red House Painters too, Kozelek's previous band.

"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
If you like Sun Kil Moon, you've got to get Red House Painters too, Kozelek's previous band.

I have RHP Ocean Beach

Penny Lane

MK uses his voice as an instrument, reminds me a lot of JJ..love SKM and RHP but that album in particular is phenomenal--love those Ohio boys!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 12, 2011, 08:41 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jul 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
If you like Sun Kil Moon, you've got to get Red House Painters too, Kozelek's previous band.

I have RHP Ocean Beach

That's a great one -- hell, they're all good. Songs For a Blue Guitar is probably my favorite, some interesting covers on there.

I'm sure you've heard Secret Machines, right? They blew me away when I first heard Now Here Is Nowhere, and it still blows me away. School of Seven Bells is also beautiful stuff.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

fitzcarraldo

Quote from: sweatboard on Jul 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
  Some of the guitar tones on this album make me wonder from time to time if isn't THE best record ever made.....and then the vocals of course

here here.

The Walkmen - You and Me

BH

Fitz!?!?  Is that you?    ;)

Sun Kil Moon is the best super early morning drive music with coffee.   I owe Fitz for my love of SKM.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Gerardo - Rico Suave
my only addiction has to do with the female species.  I eat 'em raw like sushi
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

sweatboard

Dude, your response to this thread leaves much to be desired.

try Shellac - At Action Park!!!  NOW!!!
There's Still Time.........

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 12, 2011, 12:45 PM

;) :) grows and grows and grows on you...

OK, so I went with the SKM-GOTGH. I have to say I was not impressed at first, but trusting you people with my life, I was patient and let it "grow on me". And it had, and it did, and it is amazing. Thank you   :)

Also, special thanks to Mikey who suggested last years Teenage Fan Club release. Got it and immediately got it.

And then a chicken sent me some Temptations and Chris Bell...   :)

Got Dawes via strong recommendations on the 2011 music thread. meh   :-\
My wife and I were listening to it on our way out of town and she eventually grabbed the i-pod and said, "If we're going to listen to the Avett Brothers then we should listen to the Avett Brothers"; so we did.

e_wind

I need to check out SKM. Dawes is better than the Avettes, IMO. Phosphorescent I my new favorite though, check it out
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EasyRyder

Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing it's not out until September 13th- but there are a lot of videos on youtube (if you're not into torrenting). Probably going to be my number one of the year.

It has a Laurel Canyon early seventies feel to it with great lyrics. If you're into that kind of thing  ;)

Blitzen Trapper - Love The Way You Walk Away (not the video)

from the 2008 album Furr. this one is ridiculously good and definitely worth buying. I dont know how these guys aren't more famoso.

Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

rmpotsy

^ yes a thousand times.  all of their albums are great and very diverse. cannot say enough about these guys.
out go the lights it begins

mjk73

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Also, special thanks to Mikey who suggested last years Teenage Fan Club release. Got it and immediately got it.
It is really good, but you would expect that from the Fannies. Glad you liked it.

Ruckus

I too love Blitzen Trapper

So if you haven't checked them out, I say listen to some Rural Alberta Advantage.  They have two great albums out.  I know you're a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel and they are compared ad nauseum to Jeff Mangum, or at least in some reviews I've read including a terrible one by COS.  Regardless, I enjoy them quite a bit.

Here are two off of Hometowns:

the rural alberta advantage - don`t haunt this place

Rural Alberta Advantage - Edmonton

Ruckus

I know, I know.  I gush about them enough already.  Anywho, some instrumental prog/metal anyone?  Let's just say loosely, they're like Rush without vocals.  Nerdtastic.  All three of their albums are bad ass!

GLACIAL PLANET - SCALE THE SUMMIT

Scale the Summit - Whales

MarkW

I've just ordered Sun Kil Moon, Blitzen Trapper, and Scale the Summit.

I'd also back up the love for Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere is a fine album.

May I also recommend Porcupine Tree?  In Absentia is a classic from 2003, 2007's Fear of a Blank Planet was grammy-nominated and the most recent album, The Incident, is also great.  A good taster would be the download of Atlanta from their online shop - a 2-hour gig with all the good ones!

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

chaqueta sucia

Quote from: EasyRyder on Aug 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing it's not out until September 13th- but there are a lot of videos on youtube (if you're not into torrenting). Probably going to be my number one of the year.

It has a Laurel Canyon early seventies feel to it with great lyrics. If you're into that kind of thing  ;)

Blitzen Trapper - Love The Way You Walk Away (not the video)

from the 2008 album Furr. this one is ridiculously good and definitely worth buying. I dont know how these guys aren't more famoso.

Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer

Been hittin this album for about a month now and have to say it is my album of the year..........no need for any other entries.  I love all of their albums but this one imo is gonna be the one that really gets their name out there with all the rest that have been in a cave over the years and not heard them.  Start to finish American Goldwing is the stuff.