I want something new! Or old!

Started by Tracy 2112, Jul 11, 2011, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

All you Sheepdogs fans should check out a few of the classic Canadian bands that heavily influenced the Rolling Stone darlings. The Sheepdogs have Canadian '70s mid-west rock in their soul:

The Sheepdogs - "I Don't Know": SXSW 2011 Showcasing Artist

Tracy probably already owns some of these albums/songs (notice the studio in video #2, "I Like to Rock" - the same as Rush used to record Moving Pictures and videos "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight"):

April Wine - Roller Official Video

April Wine - I Like To Rock Official Video

I think some hip band should ressurrect this great great song:

April Wine - Say Hello

And, of course, the Stampeders, Chilliwack and of course, The Guess Who and BTO:

The Stampeders - Sweet City Woman

Chilliwack (Fly At Night)...1977...Lyrics Provided Under Info:

The Guess Who- Running Back To Saskatoon / Share The Land

(No Randy Bachman in this incarnation; great live version though):

The Guess Who American Woman The Midnight Special

Bachman Turner Overdrive:

The Guess Who "Takin' Care Of Business"

Tracy 2112

J,

I was an April Wine fan back in the day. A friend of mines band used to cover this

April Wine - All Over Town
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 31, 2011, 02:04 PM
J,

I was an April Wine fan back in the day. A friend of mines band used to cover this

April Wine - All Over Town

I saw them in concert around the time of Nature of the Beast; they played my hometown (Kingston, ON). It was one of my first concerts ever. Great show and a tremendously big stage with pyrotechnics.

I assume you hear those bands I mentioned when you listen to the Sheepdogs. Us old folks need to edumacate them youngsters.

MarkW

Quote from: MarkW on Aug 31, 2011, 07:25 AM
I've just ordered Sun Kil Moon, Blitzen Trapper, and Scale the Summit.

SKL Ghosts of the Great Highway is a stunning album.  Cheers guys, another great recommendation from the board.  :thumbsup: :beer:
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Quote from: MarkW on Sep 06, 2011, 05:51 PM
Quote from: MarkW on Aug 31, 2011, 07:25 AM
I've just ordered Sun Kil Moon, Blitzen Trapper, and Scale the Summit.

SKL Ghosts of the Great Highway is a stunning album.  Cheers guys, another great recommendation from the board.  :thumbsup: :beer:
Yeah thanks guys.  I had only given a hard listen to Admiral Fells Promises was it?  I listened to Ghosts this morning and really liked what I heard though it was while eating and reading.  Will try again this week.

Also Mark, I would have recommended Monument or Carving Desert Canyons before the Collective.  The Collective has some brilliants songs such as Whales, but is overall much more restrained
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MarkW

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 09, 2011, 12:31 PM
Also Mark, I would have recommended Monument or Carving Desert Canyons before the Collective.  The Collective has some brilliants songs such as Whales, but is overall much more restrained

That's good - I bought Canyons after reading a few reviews! Gonna give it a spin this weekend.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

Quote from: MarkW on Sep 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 09, 2011, 12:31 PM

That's good - I bought Canyons after reading a few reviews! Gonna give it a spin this weekend.
Excellent choice! :thumbsup:  It has become my favorite and is a perfect blend of vision, lyricism, and technical wizardry.  Nobody does what they are doing.  Love 'em!

dragonboy

One of my favourite recent finds is Arbouretum's The Gathering. Kind of psych rock, give them a spin, see what you think Tracy...

Arbouretum- Destroying to Save

Arbouretum - The White Bird

Arbouretum- Waxing Crescents

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ruckus

Quote from: dragonboy on Sep 25, 2011, 04:21 AM
One of my favourite recent finds is Arbouretum's The Gathering. Kind of psych rock, give them a spin, see what you think Tracy...

Arbouretum- Destroying to Save

Arbouretum - The White Bird

Arbouretum- Waxing Crescents
Nice dB!  This was one of my choices for the forum album club.  Actually was hanging out with a real good friend last night that's known David Heumann for quite some time.  Going to see them a week from Tuesday.  Yeah they are like a drone/metal/psych/folk/rock outfit